IGNORED

Opcode Update Request July 2018

I see, you answered to someone asking if it did RGB or HDMI with a "sure it does" so wasn't clear what you meant.

Yeah, should have said in my original response. Btw, are you planing to attend PRGE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, should have said in my original response. Btw, are you planing to attend PRGE?

With a 2Y old in the house I'm not going anywhere :_(, we've got some relatives in the area but unless a miracle happens .....

(I've been advised to "fake it till you make it" as a survival skill and that "make it" means somewhere between 4 and 5Y of age)

The last serious playtime I had was couple of months before the kid was born, after that it's been extremely hard to find time to play.

My CV is in need of fixing (it lost "some" colors, it's all a yellowish/brownish tinge, surely because I messed up on the AVmod) and haven't had the time to touch it in 2Y+ ....

We are old school, we go with RGB. You can also use a VGA monitor that supports 15khz signal. And of course composite video. HDMI can be produced with external box, but as you mentioned, may introduce 1 frame of lag.

Using RGB similar to what citrus3000psi did with his RGB board or TI doc here:

http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/vdp-99xx/e3/SPPA004A_9928-29_9118-28_Interface_to_Monitors.pdf

will be perfect.

• Like 1

We are old school, we go with RGB. You can also use a VGA monitor that supports 15khz signal. And of course composite video. HDMI can be produced with external box, but as you mentioned, may introduce 1 frame of lag.

Will the RGB output be via a mini-DIN 8p socket or something else?

If using an OSSC to convert RGB to HDMI there won't even be a frame of lag.

That is exactly how I play CV today, citrus3000psi RGB board to OSSC, makes for an excellent setup. I use a DIN8 port and no electronics in the cable.

It would be nice to be able to support hdretrovision.com cables for people who rather use component video.

That is exactly how I play CV today, citrus3000psi RGB board to OSSC, makes for an excellent setup. I use a DIN8 port and no electronics in the cable.

But you need to convert from the DIN8 to SCART for the OSSC so I'm confused when you say no electronics in the cable. I use a DIN8 to SCART cable from Tim Worthington.

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 1

Any plans to port the Phoenix arcade game to the Omni or the Prometheus? It's been mentioned in the past as a possible SGM game. The arcade version rocks.

It's like Galaga but completely different. :)

Could the Omni improve on Star Wars Arcade ports? This one is a favorite of mine to collect. The 2600 version is amazing considering. The retro GameCube version is awesome.

I'm ready for some authentic DK action. Hope to see it soon.

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by Twin_power

Any plans to port the Phoenix arcade game to the Omni or the Prometheus? It's been mentioned in the past as a possible SGM game. The arcade version rocks.

It's like Galaga but completely different. :)

Could the Omni improve on Star Wars Arcade ports? This one is a favorite of mine to collect. The 2600 version is amazing considering. The retro GameCube version is awesome.

I'm ready for some authentic DK action. Hope to see it soon.

Thanks,

Dan

We may have something to make you happy very soon. We will also shipping the first couple of new color lines this month. We have 8 color lines waiting for a release. And the we have the silver line, and you will hear more about then during and after PRGE. And I mean literally. ;)

Have I mentioned here we are going to have Ed Averett games recreated and updated for the OMNI?

post-1432-0-57820500-1533429731.jpg

• Like 5

Have I mentioned here we are going to have Ed Averett games recreated and updated for the OMNI?

I did see that on the Project PEGASUS thread 6:50pm post today. Those are Odyssey2 games? In what areas are they being updated? I knew about the Odyssey console during my younger years. I mainly stuck with my 2600 because it was a Christmas gift.

I did see that on the Project PEGASUS thread 6:50pm post today. Those are Odyssey2 games? In what areas are they being updated? I knew about the Odyssey console during my younger years. I mainly stuck with my 2600 because it was a Christmas gift.

It may sound confusing, Project Pegasus is now OMNI. Same thing, just the name is now official. Yes, we made a deal with Ed Averett to have his games on our system. Ed will supervise development. Games will be updated in all areas, graphics will be vastly improved, they will get proper soundtrack, better sound FX and voices, and gameplay will receive many new elements and things that were not possible with the original O2 hardware. But we have similar partnership with some other well known developers to be announced in the future.

• Like 4

It may sound confusing, Project Pegasus is now OMNI. Same thing, just the name is now official. Yes, we made a deal with Ed Averett to have his games on our system. Ed will supervise development. Games will be updated in all areas, graphics will be vastly improved, they will get proper soundtrack, better sound FX and voices, and gameplay will receive many new elements and things that were not possible with the original O2 hardware. But we have similar partnership with some other well known developers to be announced in the future.

I did read that you were creating a "lite" version that would run compatible CV games. The confusing part for me is trying to translate all drama during the past year and a half. Better for me not to dwell too much and spend more time playing my awesome games. ?

I'm a great fan of this forum and a supporter of the colecovision community playing CV great HB games WoW and LGR LE on my modded Yurkievision ? with SGM. That's a great retro experience that you helped create. My 14 yr old nephew has both Xbox and PS4.. I enjoy showing him what real arcade games look like.

I did read that you were creating a "lite" version that would run compatible CV games. The confusing part for me is trying to translate all drama during the past year and a half. Better for me not to dwell too much and spend more time playing my awesome games.

I'm a great fan of this forum and a supporter of the colecovision community playing CV great HB games WoW and LGR LE on my modded Yurkievision with SGM. That's a great retro experience that you helped create. My 14 yr old nephew has both Xbox and PS4.. I enjoy showing him what real arcade games look like.

Yes, the lite thing is Prometheus, a different console. We will show it soon. The recent drama comes from 3rd party trying to copy and sell SGM clones. If you want a SGM, please support us and get from the original creators. We will have announcements regarding the SGM and Prometheus around November.

But anyways, glad you're helping keeping classic retro gaming alive and kicking.

Yes, the lite thing is Prometheus, a different console. We will show it soon. The recent drama comes from 3rd party trying to copy and sell SGM clones. If you want a SGM, please support us and get from the original creators. We will have announcements regarding the SGM and Prometheus around November.

But anyways, glad you're helping keeping classic retro gaming alive and kicking.

Yes.. I bought my SGM from you.. It's not one of those "clones". ?

It's from the second run. It's a great product. I'm looking forward to trying out more great products from you.

What about an improvement on the 7800 Atari game Robotron? That was a favorite of mine too.

I noticed that the 7800 was created around the timeframe your placing the OMNI's capabilities around 1984-89. I guess you also should include the NES in the mix as a competitor for that age. Both systems have great games. Both have a descent version of Galaga too.

I'm more for buying ports of actual arcade games from my youth than playing ports of 7800 or NES.

I'm looking forward to what the Omni can offer in this area.

Thanks,

Daniel Abel

Edited by Twin_power

Yes.. I bought my SGM from you.. It's not one of those "clones".

It's from the second run. It's a great product. I'm looking forward to trying out more great products from you.

What about an improvement on the 7800 Atari game Robotron? That was a favorite of mine too.

I noticed that the 7800 was created around the timeframe your placing the OMNI's capabilities around 1984-89. I guess you also should include the NES in the mix as a competitor for that age. Both systems have great games. Both have a descent version of Galaga too.

I'm more for buying ports of actual arcade games from my youth than playing ports of 7800 or NES.

I'm looking forward to what the Omni can offer in this area.

Thanks,

Daniel Abel

A Robotron like game would work great on OMNI, since it is more like the 7800 in the sprite area than the NES, which is very video bandwidth constrained, and Robotron is a game that is very sprite intensive. Also, it would offer a smoother experience than the 7800, since the 7800 is CPU constrained, while OMNI has nothing stealing CPU cycles. OMNi can produce from 256 to 320 pixels per scanline, with the amount of sprites available decreasing with the resolution, kind of like the 7800 but without all the quirkiness of having to deal with display lists.

We must remember that even if the NES and 7800 got released in 1986, they are actually products of 1983 and 1984 tech respectively. The SMS is from 1985, the PC Engine is 1987, so that gives you a better picture in terms of what to expect for video bandwidth.

But anyways, the plan is to keep more US centric in terms of games. We already live in the timeline where Japan took over after the crash, so I would like to imagine the other timeline, where the crash never happened.

• Like 4

A Robotron like game would work great on OMNI, since it is more like the 7800 in the sprite area than the NES, which is very video bandwidth constrained, and Robotron is a game that is very sprite intensive. Also, it would offer a smoother experience than the 7800, since the 7800 is CPU constrained, while OMNI has nothing stealing CPU cycles. OMNi can produce from 256 to 320 pixels per scanline, with the amount of sprites available decreasing with the resolution, kind of like the 7800 but without all the quirkiness of having to deal with display lists.

We must remember that even if the NES and 7800 got released in 1986, they are actually products of 1983 and 1984 tech respectively. The SMS is from 1985, the PC Engine is 1987, so that gives you a better picture in terms of what to expect for video bandwidth.

But anyways, the plan is to keep more US centric in terms of games. We already live in the timeline where Japan took over after the crash, so I would like to imagine the other timeline, where the crash never happened.

Thanks for the info.

The "live in the timeline" comment reminded me of the BTTF II sports almanac senerio. :)

I never got on that Japan console craze.. by that time I started junior high and my priorities were different.. ;).

Tempest and Xevious were awesome too. I'd definitely settle for a Robotron like game included.. ;)

Wishful thinking,

Dan

Edited by Twin_power

I'm trying to keep up with all this. So both Opcode and Collectorvision, who port and release games for which they don't own the IP, on a system neither owns, for several years. Now suddenly, as one or more of the IP holders have stepped in, the CV is being abandoned? So those who spent money on the SGM, will no longer have titles released? And both are developing competing "classic" consoles that play games that were released 35 years ago on multiple systems already.

Am I close? I gotta be honest, I don't understand the reasoning of having people spend even more money to do this? Great, HDMI, okay, fine. But I mean, when you've moved off the system of release, then why not just emulate? This was my complaint about the Chameleon, whatever Tallarico is releasing for Intellivision, the Atari Box, etc., etc., etc.

Now suddenly, as one or more of the IP holders have stepped in, the CV is being abandoned? So those who spent money on the SGM, will no longer have titles released? And both are developing competing "classic" consoles that play games that were released 35 years ago on multiple systems already.

Am I close? I gotta be honest, I don't understand the reasoning of having people spend even more money to do this? Great, HDMI, okay, fine. But I mean, when you've moved off the system of release, then why not just emulate? This was my complaint about the Chameleon, whatever Tallarico is releasing for Intellivision, the Atari Box, etc., etc., etc.

Not sure where you got the things you are saying from. CV isn't being abandoned, SGM is not being abandoned, as I discussed in my first reply. I have 8 color line games, 2 silver lines games and rereleases coming this year. As for OMNI, it isn't an emulator, it is a brand new platform. It plays OMNI games exclusively.

• Like 3

I'm trying to keep up with all this. So both Opcode and Collectorvision, who port and release games for which they don't own the IP, on a system neither owns, for several years. Now suddenly, as one or more of the IP holders have stepped in, the CV is being abandoned? So those who spent money on the SGM, will no longer have titles released? And both are developing competing "classic" consoles that play games that were released 35 years ago on multiple systems already.

Maybe go back and quote the posts where you saw these things. The only one that rings a bell to me is that CollectorVision at one point said they weren't going to make anymore SGM games, but that remains to be seen; And I'm sure OpCode and probably Pixelboy will continue to make them. The Prometheus Lite will have an SGM interface or internal SGM hardware. As far as abandoning the CVs, I'm sure there will be people who continue to try to maintain their 35 year old Colecovisions as it becomes more difficult and expensive over the next decade. Also, neither console will be restricted to the original retail games. Then there's the Silent One's console (Ebivision?). Not sure what's going on there. I hope if he makes an FPGA it will have MSX.

Also, I am feeling a bit intrepid on the fate of the EM2 and Roller Controller with these new consoles.

That's the best thing I've heard about this console yet. Frankly, I wasn't interested in buying expensive homebrews of games ported from the NES or Sega MS. Games I could buy for the original systems for a lot less. I'm excited about the prospect of this alternate, US centric timeline. I hope Opcode is still working on Zaxxon. I know it's a Sega arcade game but no version was released for the NES and the Master System got some awful 3D version so it would work for the alternate timeline. When will we know what the launch titles will be?