IGNORED

Opcode Update Request July 2018

Also, I am feeling a bit intrepid on the fate of the EM2 and Roller Controller with these new consoles.

Thankfully all the games that require these special controllers have been modified to work with standard controllers. I know it's not the same experience, but at least playing these controller modified versions is an option.

Thankfully all the games that require these special controllers have been modified to work with standard controllers. I know it's not the same experience, but at least playing these controller modified versions is an option.

In terms of the full experience it looks increasingly like we'll have to hold on to our old crusty original consoles. Myself, as an arcade kid from the early eighties, I was always drawn to the special controllers on machines, most notably the flight yoke on Star Wars cabinets and the twist ratchet knob on Ikari Warriors (shooting backwards at an angle while moving forwards and vice versa).

As a young kid, it was the steering wheel in the Colecovision ads that really caught my attention as I'd never seen any company pushing that kind of arcade authenticity before ( and the screen shots of Zaxxon and Donkey Kong, I thought they were fake! , I couldn't believe it was possible to acheive in a home console).

My mum used to run a home catalogue ("Great Universal" in England I think) . We always got cool new electronics late, but this was a US based company so I got to see previews of them much earlier than most kids in the UK. This is how I pre-ordered the Lynx back in the day (wow that was expensive!). My mum thought I was mad, but she also had one eye on the commission :)

Edited by bobstoned

Guys, not sure where that info about controller incompatibility came from, but Prometheus is compatible with any CV controller out there. The only "inconvenient" is that you will need a CV power supply in order to use the roller controller.

Guys, not sure where that info about controller incompatibility came from, but Prometheus is compatible with any CV controller out there. The only "inconvenient" is that you will need a CV power supply in order to use the roller controller.

Sorry. There were a couple posts about the expansion port not being included, which is fine with me as it is only for the 2600 and adam expansions, which are just slightly smaller versions of the original consoles. There were a couple posts that wondered about the optical encoder modules that weren't answered, which I can understand, but brought about the concern to me. It sounds like a great replacement for the ColecoVision. I can't think of any major additions that would likely be beneficial, except maybe a VCC powered genesis or Amiga controller port for expanded controller compatibility. I'm surprised no one has come up with a genesis pad adapter for the Colecovision yet, except for the Edladdin SAC+, which would be really elaborate for a genesis adapter.

The absence of the expansion port may hinder the development of new additions like the SGM in the future, but maybe there is a cheap way to add a similar kind of interface, like a USB port, that could (or not) be used for usb controllers. On the other hand, we've only had one new creation that used the expansion port in 30 years, so maybe it is superfluous. Other more engineering minded people would probably know more.

It's shocking how small that thing is, I thought must just be an adapter for the real transformer.

I thought so too, but from the video on this thing they show a type of wall-wart AC adaptor plugged into a power bar where the voltage is stepped down. This small attachment is just to get the original pins to match the mini-usb. No way that little plug piece into the CV acts as the power supply...I could be wrong, though, and would be happy in the case it does. So the second question is, what adaptor do we need to get a fully functioning CV power supply relacement? Probably in an different thread, lol.

I thought so too, but from the video on this thing they show a type of wall-wart AC adaptor plugged into a power bar where the voltage is stepped down. This small attachment is just to get the original pins to match the mini-usb. No way that little plug piece into the CV acts as the power supply...I could be wrong, though, and would be happy in the case it does. So the second question is, what adaptor do we need to get a fully functioning CV power supply relacement? Probably in an different thread, lol.

It's not just to match pins and "step down" the voltage. The (mini) USB adaptor only supplies +5v. The Coleco needs -5v and +12v in addition to +5v. The power supply does the conversion to get all the required voltages.

The only reason the original was so big was because it had a big transformer and all the required voltage regulators and giant heat sinks for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that it appears that the CollectorVision system will have SGM support in an agreed upon way will OpCode still release 2 systems (a CV compat and a non-CV compat) or just focus on one?

NOTE: I am not privy to any agreement details among the 2 parties, just assuming a satisfactory one is in place, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Awesome on the Ed Averett / Odyssey 2 stuff for the Omni. Please remake Attack of the Timelord; more funky enemy weapons will only help! As for KC Munchkin, I'm not sure improved graphics will add much to the original (not a fan of the 7800 port). But powerups like a magnet (to pull the dots towards kc), or something which stops the dots from moving temporarily, or a power up which turns all the dots into power dots... Could make the game even more fun!

Was the SGM going to be upgraded to a SGM Pro? Is that still in production or cancelled?

From what I gather it seems to have been cancelled in favor of focusing instead on the upcoming Opcode console(s); one with SGM & other with what wouldve been the proposed SGM Pro built into it.

Edited by rodge2001

Has the 5th run happened with the SGM? I've wanted to buy one but they've been out of stock for a long time. Now they're on ebay but for $300 - $400. I really don't want to spend that much money but I really want one. ~_~

A few months ago was last time SGM’s were made available through AtariAge store & they all sold out very quickly. I seem to remember due to the high demand an additional second batch soon followed & they too quickly sold out. Not sure if another standalone SGM run is planned or if you must wait for new console(s) with SGM capability. I see lowest on eBay is $270 which may be only option for getting one immediately.

I'd prefer to have the SGM module because I don't want another console if my Colecovision can play two of them. Its just the Pro already fascinates me, I wish they'd make a few of them at least one for me. Otherwise, I'll just stick with the original one.

But anyway, I would like to reserve one but the atari age store says its out of stock. Is there a way I can reserve one? I'll even do a pre-order so mine is reserved. I just don't want to spend $300 - $400 for one on ebay.

A few months ago was last time SGMs were made available through AtariAge store & they all sold out very quickly. I seem to remember due to the high demand an additional second batch soon followed & they too quickly sold out. Not sure if another standalone SGM run is planned or if you must wait for new console(s) with SGM capability. I see lowest on eBay is $270 which may be only option for getting one immediately.

If you also want an ultimate sd cart the wafer guy HDTV1080P is selling a combo of sd cart and SGM for $300 on eBay. Since the sd cart is about $130 plus shipping, the SGM is about $165. Wait for another 15% off sale and it will be $45 cheaper. Probably only useful if you dont already have an sd cart.

From my understanding the Prometheus console with a SGM built in would be for all CV games while the Omni console will be a step above that and/or what we have now: CV + SGM. Not sure if Omni will play CV carts or not.

IIRC, the philosophy of the Omni is something like if some new company had come up with a console around the time of the Genesis/SNES, but most of its first releases will be upgraded versions of 1970's console games, like from O2 and Atari 2600. I don't think it is CV cart compatible. The Prometheus is a mostly stock hardware, slightly upgraded version of the CV+SGM (Pro?).

IIRC, the philosophy of the Omni is something like if some new company had come up with a console around the time of the Genesis/SNES, but most of its first releases will be upgraded versions of 1970's console games, like from O2 and Atari 2600. I don't think it is CV cart compatible. The Prometheus is a mostly stock hardware, slightly upgraded version of the CV+SGM (Pro?).

I'm not sure of anything here, but since CollectorVision struck a deal with Opcode regarding SGM support in their Phoenix console, doesn't that imply that Opcode no longer needs to release the Prometheus Lite, as he could just concentrate on the Omni, financially speaking?

I'm not sure of anything here, but since CollectorVision struck a deal with Opcode regarding SGM support in their Phoenix console, doesn't that imply that Opcode no longer needs to release the Prometheus Lite, as he could just concentrate on the Omni, financially speaking?

I know Opcode liked the idea of making an old-school hardware version, so I surmised that hadn't changed, but who knows.

Is there a way I can reserve one? I'll even do a pre-order so mine is reserved. I just don't want to spend $300 - $400 for one on ebay.

As of now there’s nothing announced regarding a new batch of SGM’s. In the past pre-orders were taken & I think most recent batch was all ready to ship immediately after purchase. Keep an eye on message board for future announcements from Opcode but it’s possible standalone SGM will be phased out in favor of upcoming console(s) at least in the meantime. But if there’s demand for standalone I would think additional runs would continue but that may not be high priority for a while. Focus now seems to be new console(s) & back log of games being developed like long awaited DK plus new Omni games. If eBay is currently too much there’s still plenty of games that don’t require SGM. eBay prices are what they are because those really are the only ones currently available anywhere & they’ll probably all sell before a new run happens. These things can’t really be made to order on an individual basis either. I agree with above post about considering buying the one that includes an SD cart. Many roms have been made available for free.

If they are making a new console that is working like the SGM, then I don't suppose anyone is willing to sell me theirs?

I personally plan to keep my SGM as long as I have my CV even though I plan to support the new console(s). Others may part with theirs once they upgrade to upcoming SGM integrated console(s). But if that were to happen it would likely be after and not before they launch so you'd still be waiting quite a while. I'm sure Opcode wishes they could constantly pump out SGM's to satisfy newcomers and anyone still in need of one but then there'd be less time for their other projects.

I've learned that patience is a big part of this hobby since things can change and announcements are made well ahead of availability which itself can be limited. But there's usually something available while waiting for what's not available yet. Right now it seems things are in kind of a lull until the next wave of announced things become available. While waiting keep an eye on SGM's available on eBay and maybe prices will go down if no one's buying.

I personally couldn't wait and I bought my SGM on eBay between 3rd and 4th runs. I missed 3rd run pre-order window by just one day and that drove me to eBay. At that time a 4th run was only planned and I knew it would be months to a year away and I couldn't wait to play SGM games I had. The results speak for themselves and I have confidence in Opcode delivering everything they hope to. It's hard to wait for the SGM because it is key that lets you play many new games.

My advice to pass the time is to focus on other games available, even some SGM games, so when you do get a SGM you'll have a nice library to chose from. Also, if you haven't already, try to read up on all the older message posts because that helped me understand all the goings on and history around here that goes back quite a while and it helps me appreciate the time & work these guys put into this.

• Like 1