IGNORED

800XL disappearing objects

hueyjones70

I have an interesting problem with an 800XL. I was running Pole Position and after a collision, my car partially changed colors. The right side turned to light blue and the tires disappeared. After rebooting several times and observing the results it seems that a sharp change in direction such as running off the track and coming back on or a collision with another car or an object will cause the change. I tried switching out the 4050 chip and that had on effect. It occurs whether I am using composite video or luma/chroma. Has anyone else experienced a similar incident or does anyone have any suggestions concerning a fix.

I've seen the colours change when the power supply voltage is too low, ie 4.7V to 4.5V. (when I was using an insufficient USB power source). This also causes problems with SIDE2 reading CF cards. Have you checked your PSU voltage under load with system on?

I think the car and/or tires in Pole Position might be using PMG, which is generated by GTIA, not ANTIC, so maybe check if the GTIA is bad / swapping the GTIA chip with another machine

• Like 2

I think the car and/or tires in Pole Position might be using PMG, which is generated by GTIA, not ANTIC, so maybe check if the GTIA is bad / swapping the GTIA chip with another machine

GTIA going flaky was my first thought too, followed by a possible power issue. But I’ve had two GTIA’s fail on me in different machines as well as a bad TIA in a 2600 (similar symptoms) so I’m primed to look for problems there.

• Like 2

I have an interesting problem with an 800XL. I was running Pole Position and after a collision, my car partially changed colors. The right side turned to light blue and the tires disappeared. After rebooting several times and observing the results it seems that a sharp change in direction such as running off the track and coming back on or a collision with another car or an object will cause the change. I tried switching out the 4050 chip and that had on effect. It occurs whether I am using composite video or luma/chroma. Has anyone else experienced a similar incident or does anyone have any suggestions concerning a fix.

I have two GTIAs in my "defects drawer" with problems in collision detection. Both GTIAs will be detected bad by the SuperSALT diagnostic cartridge - you don´t need the external fixture for the GTIA test. One of the GTIAs is also detected bad by SysInfo utility.

So first test is SysInfo, then SuperSALT :)

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

I have a different 800XL with a similar problem.  The computer boots, BASIC works.  Carts will not boot so I can't run supersalt.  Usually when I plug in a cart, I get nothing but a blank screen.  On a couple of occasions I got some random characters on the screen.  Star Raiders doesn't boot.

Hmm maybe bad contact in the cart port?

Use a flashlight and inspect the cartridge port carefully for damaged fingers or debris. If all looks good, douse the contacts on a cartridge card edge with isopropyl alcohol, and quickly/repeatedly insert/remove it in the cartridge port to clean the connectors in the port.