IGNORED

What is the one thing about the VCS that's surprising to you?

Keatah

What is the one or more things about the VCS that's surprised you the most over the years. Or just recently?

For me it would be the apparent hi-resolution.Some newer games seem to be (more and more nowadays) controlling pixels on individual scanlines. And this is giving the impression of a higher resolution than the traditional first-run games like Surround or Combat or anything from 1977-1979.

The Chopper and explosions in Super Cobra Arcade, the Mappy guy in Mappy, are some examples.

That.. and the longevity of the system on a whole. Amazing that's it's going for 40+ years. Back then I could not have envisaged in any way shape or form that there would be new games coming out in the 21st century.

• Like 8

The one obvious thing is just the quality of the games coming out now.. with such close-to-arcade ports of Warlords (M.M.), Mappy, Bosconian, Scramble/Super Cobra, Ladybug, Pacman, Donkey Kong, Crazy Balloon, Sea Wolf, Asteroids (i.e. space rocks), etc. etc.. It almost makes you think the VCS was really (much to everyone's surprise) the most "powerful" classic console out there. :lol:

Edited by NE146
  • Like 8

That 1977 architecture is so flexible that new discoveries are still being made, see the parallel research thread on motion blur reduction in my signature; the other researcher was using state of the art equipment and working on emerging technologies when he made the discovery.

• Like 3

That it still works

+1

And expanding on that .. of all my 192 unique 2600 eggs, every single one works. I have not bought a single cart that didn't work. I would say about 40-50% needed a clean to get them working when purchased. That's surprising imo! :thumbsup:

+1

And expanding on that .. of all my 192 unique 2600 eggs, every single one works. I have not bought a single cart that didn't work. I would say about 40-50% needed a clean to get them working when purchased. That's surprising imo! :thumbsup:

I collect a lot of old consoles, and I agree. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is as reliable as a 2600. The genesis is a close second (excluding the CD/32x). In 40 years, I've never found a 2600 that didn't work.

• Like 2

@keatah

Do you have a 2600/Gemini/7800 or you strictly play it via emulation?

We have an un-opened VCS with all the games and controllers as showcased in the 16725B catalog. That's about 40 games give or take. It's the wife's father's console that we keep in storage for him - among other electronic artifacts. He's one of those guys that buys stuff but never uses it.

Over the years I've farted around with real hardware consoles but keep coming back to emulation. My childhood VCS has long been disassembled for parts for other projects. But I have some of the chips and could use them to repair or spruce-up an ailing unit.

We have an un-opened VCS with all the games and controllers as showcased in the 16725B catalog. That's about 40 games give or take. It's the wife's father's console that we keep in storage for him - among other electronic artifacts. He's one of those guys that buys stuff but never uses it.

Over the years I've farted around with real hardware consoles but keep coming back to emulation. My childhood VCS has long been disassembled for parts for other projects. But I have some of the chips and could use them to repair or spruce-up an ailing unit.

Why even ask.. we all know keatah's primary Atari VCS :lol:

gateway_performance.jpg

• Like 3

Why even ask.. we all know keatah's primary Atari VCS :lol:

I had a point when I asked ... I think .....

.. oh yes ... if everyone had moved onto emulation by now we would never had found so many quirks and fantastic ways to abuse that little sucker ... think about it.

[and when I say "we" I really mean all the talented people that keep it going and find new tricks all the time]

• Like 1