IGNORED

What is the one thing about the VCS that's surprising to you?

Keatah

I am totally surprised from the durability of the whole system. When i heard some years ago, that there exist a SD-Card-cartridge (The Harmony) for the Atari VCS-2600, i had not used the console about 8 years and it was in the original carton over these years and all my game-cartridges in another carton under my bed in my former room in parents house. :) Then i bought a Harmony, took the console and tried it out and everything still worked perfect. Only three of my 28 cartridges showed little contact problems and i must plug them in and out about 10 times, then also these worked again like a charm. I would be surprised, when a user in the year 2040 took there "then old" PS4 or X-BOX360 consoles, plug them on and they would work like a charm too.

How attractive a well designed game can still look. There is something about the colour palette a 2600 has. Love the orange and tan part of it.

Also how many games with a single button can still be so entertaining.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the all the new-fangled high level console tech out there now, I still come back to this legendary old bitch ... as well as get the most gaming joy above all else!! :thumbsup:

What, you don't like having to login and then download an 8GB system update and then a 20GB game update every time you turn on?

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

What surprises me is how mysterious the lost media is for the console. There's so much we don't know about so many games. Heck, Red Sea Crossing wasn't even discovered until 2007!

That eerie, adventurous, mysterious feeling that somewhere in the world exists games that few have ever seen just irks me, but in an amazing way.

With most other consoles, exact numbers and proper value can be assessed to rare games.

For the Atari, however, some games are so rare that we don't even know how rare they really are!

New discoveries are being made every day, and this is 41+ years later. Who knows if we'll ever know everything that there is to know about the system and its many games.

All of us are basically Indiana Jones, or Fox Moulder. We either seek the Grails, or the Truth.

• Like 3

What amazes me is the limitations of the system and what choices they made when they designed it. I've been reading through the book "Racing the beam and I'm awestruck at what goes on in the 2600 and even more so when I see some of the homebrew coming out in recent years. Stuff that's way beyond what they originally thought was possible.

• Like 2

That a machine designed to play Atari Tank and Outlaw had so much flexibility to do what we've seen over the years

This, just this so many times over.

Even in it's twilight years here in the UK i was amazed to see things like Ghostbusters 2, Kung Fu Master , Rampage and Double Dragon had even been attempted on it.

And now when i glance at the homebrew etc for it...

It just seems to be the 1 system that keeps on giving.

A monumental system, it really is.