IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB, Incognito, 1088XEL and SIDE/SIDE2 Firmware Update Released

The ST mouse when cleaned works pretty good, but my biggest complaint would be the buttons as compared to more modern mice. They just feel very clunky and require much more effort to click. As for the PeST adapter working for USB mice, it is no different than the Moustari, and some of the other Atari/Amiga mouse adapters in this regard, requiring that the USB mouse also support PS/2 protocol. Unfortunately no modern USB mouse built over the last decade still does.

I do have a couple of USB mice that are dual protocol, and they do work utilizing the green passive USB to PS/2 adapter that they came with. So the key is, if it came with this adapter from the factory, it should work.

Yep: the ST mice are awful to use, although they do look good with an XE system. That's why I recommend third-party ST/Amiga mice, many of which are quite pleasant in use, and all of which plug straight into the joystick port without any additional fuss. There is (or was) even a build of the GOS which works directly with Amiga mice (no need for a switchable ST/Amiga device). Obviously when things progress somewhat, you'd just install the relevant mouse driver (Amiga or ST).

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

And when I get the Mousetari code out of BETA (which it still is), I'll make a nice little carrier board that will let it plug straight into a joystick port same as the PeST (which is no longer produced). But for the time being I have too many balls I'm juggling to really look at that seriously. First I want to enable resolution control, so that an 800dpi mouse doesn't cause the pointer to go careening off the screen with the slightest touch ;) .

• Like 4