IGNORED

What games do you wish you could buy digitally?

(For people who like buying digitally -- let's please not make this into yet another "I will only buy physical media" rant-off, and yes, I know about Everdrives and R4 cards)

A ton of XB360 and PS3 games are available "diskless," and all modern games are same day digital. There are a few 3DS, DS, and PSP games for which I kinda resent carrying around cartridges when everything else is on my SD card. I guess these predate the modern practices, even though many of them released digitally in other territories.

I wish these were on my memory card:

Tekken 3D

Pac-Man Galaga Dimensions

Ridge Racer 3D

Dead or Alive Dimensions

LEGO Star Wars Clone Wars

Intellivision Lives

Super Mario 64 DS

Space Invaders Extreme (and 2)

Elite Beat Agents

Star Fox Command

Atari Hits 1 and 2 (annoying that it's split in two, also)

Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast

EA Replay

Namco Museum PSP

Nothing I can't handle, but I wonder why Namco didn't sell stuff on the eShop in North America?

I suspect many of us are cartridge collectors (I am too, albeit reluctantly), but does anyone feel like me here?

• Like 1

I'd love to be able to buy Star Fox and Star Fox 2 from the 3DS eShop, which doesn't seem unrealistic since Nintendo managed to emulate them so perfectly on the SNES Mini. I'd also like to be able to play some version of Ms. Pac-Man on my 3DS, preferably the original arcade version but even the NES version would be fine.

• Like 3

Aliens vs Predator 2 for sure. For the life of me, I can't get it to run on my Windows 7 64-bit rig after following dozens of guides. And when I was playing it on my Windows XP system before the power supply died, my modern optical mice caused zig zagging when you look vertically in game. I guess there's some licensing issues, which is too bad considering the amount of mods for the game. I'd happily buy it again digitally.

Edited by xenomorpher

Virtual Boy on the 3DS, for sure. I've been wanting that for ages.

This will never happen due to the system not really being on the market anymore, but I wanted the DS Castlevania games available for the Wii U Virtual Console. They are still difficult to capture without having expensive and cumbersome DS mods, and you need a pretty beefy PC to play them via emulation (even then, it's still not perfect).

• Like 1

I'd love to be able to buy Star Fox and Star Fox 2 from the 3DS eShop, which doesn't seem unrealistic since Nintendo managed to emulate them so perfectly on the SNES Mini. I'd also like to be able to play some version of Ms. Pac-Man on my 3DS, preferably the original arcade version but even the NES version would be fine.

'Course it's not official/available digitally in the e-shop, but I have Tengen Ms. Pac on my 3DS and I believe Starfox 1/2 are 'available' as well. Just have to hack it to be honest.

Edited by NE146

'Course it's not official/available digitally in the e-shop, but I have Tengen Ms. Pac on my 3DS and I believe Starfox 1/2 are 'available' as well. Just have to hack it to be honest.

Believe me, I've been tempted but hacking the 3DS seems to require magnets, witchcraft, and a level of technical knowledge that's a bit over my head. If it was a simple matter of "put this software on an R4 cart's SD card, insert into system, and away you go" like in the original DS days I'd be all over it, but sadly such is not the case.

Nintendo also seems to have become rather vindictive about people hacking their systems as of late and I'd rather not lose access to the $100+ in digital games that I've purchased from the eShop and the ability to access their servers for Mario Kart and Smash Bros online play. Nintendo has kinda backed their users into a corner where you have more to lose than gain by hacking your system these days.

• Like 1

Nintendo also seems to have become rather vindictive about people hacking their systems as of late and I'd rather not lose access to the $100+ in digital games that I've purchased from the eShop and the ability to access their servers for Mario Kart and Smash Bros online play. Nintendo has kinda backed their users into a corner where you have more to lose than gain by hacking your system these days.

This is how it's been for a while with hacking certain platforms (Xbox 360 is another good example). The safest bet is to acquire a second unit that is not linked to purchases and isn't connected online, then hack that.

• Like 1

Yeah, I suppose I could get another 3DS and do that, but it's worth more to me stock -- especially with the many purchased games on there.

I'd love to see some more N64 favorites again without dragging out ye olde system. I wonder why Pilotwings 64 isn't back in some way.

Agreed about StarFox and Virtual Boy on 3DS, those are big gaping holes in the lineup.

Virtual boy should be on 3ds, as big a flop as the system was, it still was mostly great games.

Starfox for snes, for anything. 2 was finished, but never released. I probably wouldn't buy the mini snes for ONE game (I own the rest I care about on it) but I'd certainly get either of both starfox games if available.

Edited by Video
  • Like 2

Apparently Cuthbert pitched a SNES StarFox remake, but Nintendo rejected it. Perhaps they know what sells and what doesn't, or they wanted to make their SNES Mini more special. I would have enjoyed that. 3DS isn't dead yet, so maybe there's hope. https://mynintendonews.com/2017/04/07/nintendo-cancelled-a-3ds-remake-of-the-original-snes-star-fox/

• Like 2

For both (New) 3DS and Switch I'd just like to see no more bs games and just if they're going to offer up old games, licensing aside, no more halfass trickle but just large volumes if not a total dump of a consoles library to the system to download the games either individually or slightly price reduced packages to bait people. I'm talking the 20th century stuff from Nintendo and any other former console developer who wants on board.

I'd throw in there another vote for the stupidity of no 3DS Virtual Boy given it is a 3D device, and I'd snap a few 3DS games up that play well in a hurry (star fox games, f-zero and pilotwings which both exist), and others you can pick at like Sim City or mouse games (both systems are touch panel) like Civilization, Sim City 2000, Mario Paint, etc. That stuff makes too much sense to do.

• Like 1

Apparently Cuthbert pitched a SNES StarFox remake, but Nintendo rejected it. Perhaps they know what sells and what doesn't, or they wanted to make their SNES Mini more special. I would have enjoyed that. 3DS isn't dead yet, so maybe there's hope. https://mynintendonews.com/2017/04/07/nintendo-cancelled-a-3ds-remake-of-the-original-snes-star-fox/

Thank you for fixing your avatar issue. :grin: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I believe it may have been available digitally at one point, but I'd of liked to have been able to buy Sega Rally Revo for the Playstation Portable off the Playstation Store, had it been PSTV compatible.

Never seen it on any compatibility list though, so even if it was once available (There is a store page up for it), it would've only been useful on a PSP. Even handheld Vita compatibility isn't noted, let alone PSTV support.

Very nicely done game, but I sure hate the PSP's analog nub and wish I could use a console controller with it. Isn't the watered down console port like the title suggests and is largely an original title.

• Like 1

Semi-unrelated, but kinda.. Because of this thread I tried out SNES Starfox "unofficially" on my 3DS, and I was taken aback by how fast it ran. But then I realized.. 'hey, it's fast!" which is kind of cool since this is obviously somewhat of a known desire for this game, to the point there are people who overclock it on custom carts, etc. Full disclosure.. I didn't try it past the 1st stage but thought I'd mention it anyway.