IGNORED

Any other special 2600 cartridges

Jim Pez

A while back i found out about the gray label gravitar which was only given out to Atari club members. Were there any other special atari carts that were not sold in stores? like something you got for being a member of the club or mail order.

Edited by jim1174

There were five Atari Club releases, Gravitar was later available at retail, Atari Video Cube was rejigged slightly iirc and sold as Rubik's Cube. The others were Quadrun, Crazy Climber, and SwordQuest WaterWorld.

Waterworld was available in retail stores at some point, IIRC i picked up a copy at Toys R Us

• Like 1

Also, the "adult" games were not carried by the normal toy and department stores.

Wasn't Kool Aid Man mail order? but I think it was eventually sent to stores as well...

Not sure Air Raid ever made it to any stores, except liquidation at Tuesday Morning.

There have been many limited release versions of games at game shows, computer clubs, and various marketing campaigns (maybe the most famous example, Pepsi Invaders).

Atari also had those "loaner" carts of games they gave to testers...lots of those filtered out at garage sales and flea markets in the bay area.

• Like 1