IGNORED

In Pursuit of the Pink Panther Rom?

classicgamer74

People should be thanking Tempest for putting pics on his site and explaining the mechanics of the game. At least (thanks to his hard work) we can see and understand how the game was suppossed to be played.

Where is this site?

And anyone in Florida is welcome to come play it at my place as well. It really is a great game. Graphically impressive & challenging too.

I was a big fan of the kids cartoon series too. I especially loved the musical score they had. Even the fillers, like the inspector, the aardvark, etc.

• Like 4

I tried to buy a repro of Pink Panther from angie on eBay ... not sure it is even the same game, but he PM'd me something about eBay banning him from accepting Paypal because he'd sold guns on eBay and could only accept money order. None of this story made any sense, so I just forgot about it.

I tried to buy a repro of Pink Panther from angie on eBay ... not sure it is even the same game, but he PM'd me something about eBay banning him from accepting Paypal because he'd sold guns on eBay and could only accept money order. None of this story made any sense, so I just forgot about it.

When was this? "angie" is currently offering a Pink Panther Box and Manual -No Cart and has PayPal listed. Granted I don't know if you can sell anything on eBay without PP. Angie offers a lot of cool stuff, but it all seems to scream questionable sources and outrageous prices. Anyone know the true story behind this seller. I avoid him like the plague but my searches seem to hit some of his offerings from time to time.

When was this? "angie" is currently offering a Pink Panther Box and Manual -No Cart and has PayPal listed. Granted I don't know if you can sell anything on eBay without PP. Angie offers a lot of cool stuff, but it all seems to scream questionable sources and outrageous prices. Anyone know the true story behind this seller. I avoid him like the plague but my searches seem to hit some of his offerings from time to time.

My opinion only with nothing to support, but this seller has always screamed scam artist to me. I've never bought from them and wouldn't buy from them under any circumstances. I'm not going to enable their fake repro selling business.

I don't know, 10-12 months ago. It's entirely possible I was clueless enough back then to think it was CIB when it was only box and manual, or it was a Friday night after a couple drinks. $125 for box and manual? What's that cost to make, about $30?

I've bought several games from him and never had a problem. He has good feedback. None claiming to have gotten scamed.

Thy probably deliver on goods, but the stuff the sell seems to be the cheapest looking repros I've ever seen listed at rediculous prices. I know in some cases they have sold items without authorization of the owners that should not have been allowed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well this is strange. I found a current listing of this game on eBay. This is one of those crazy impossible games to get. Like getting a finished copy of Garfield or Good luck Charlie Brown, it will likely never happen. And that Angie person selling a copy of the just Box and Rules for crazy prices. Albert and I have discussed scum bag sellers whom take a legitimate home brew then they make a Box and/or Rules. IMO that's the real crime of marking something up 5-10x what you paid for it. They spend very little time & money to make an empty box with instructions. The Amateur collectors will pay over $100 not knowing this is basic piracy. Good example here, is a copy of the game that just popped up on eBay. Item #(113274101252) To my knowledge there isn't a ROM dump nor has the Pink Panther ever been available as a legitimate downloadable ROM.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Pursuit-of-the-Pink-Panther-Prototype-Game-by-Probe-2000-Reproduction/113274101252?hash=item1a5fa99e04:g:RHYAAOSw5WVblG1g:sc:USPSFirstClass!75243!US!-1

• Like 1

Well this is strange. I found a current listing of this game on eBay. This is one of those crazy impossible games to get. Like getting a finished copy of Garfield or Good luck Charlie Brown, it will likely never happen. And that Angie person selling a copy of the just Box and Rules for crazy prices. Albert and I have discussed scum bag sellers whom take a legitimate home brew then they make a Box and/or Rules. IMO that's the real crime of marking something up 5-10x what you paid for it. They spend very little time & money to make an empty box with instructions. The Amateur collectors will pay over $100 not knowing this is basic piracy. Good example here, is a copy of the game that just popped up on eBay. Item #(113274101252) To my knowledge there isn't a ROM dump nor has the Pink Panther ever been available as a legitimate downloadable ROM.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Pursuit-of-the-Pink-Panther-Prototype-Game-by-Probe-2000-Reproduction/113274101252?hash=item1a5fa99e04:g:RHYAAOSw5WVblG1g:sc:USPSFirstClass!75243!US!-1

I agree with you on everything mention, but in this case the seller is legit. Fabman has been selling a lot of rarities and I believe he would have a copy of this.

• Like 2

I agree with you on everything mention, but in this case the seller is legit. Fabman has been selling a lot of rarities and I believe he would have a copy of this.

Atari_Bill is correct. Fabman99 is a legit seller, I have bought from him here on the AA Marketplace and I recently scored some nice rarities from him on ebay. As a matter of fact, he tried selling that cart here in the marketplace before he put it on ebay.

They are both legit. The box & manual and the cart by itself. It was an option to the buyers when the game was available in the small limited run that it had.

Again, the main reason this game is so expensive is because of the unique architecture required to run it. So mass producing it isnt cost efficient. Yet.

Theres also allegedly some possible legal entanglements.

But the real problem here isnt any of that. And its a problem that affects any & all limited releases; especially those that dont have their rom data freely available. And that problem is the resellers & flippers at the back end, making all the profits then those hard workers (programmers like nukey, engineers like whiz, and artists like whizs wife) at the front end.

• Like 2

Thanks guys I wasn't questioning the seller. Game does indeed look like the real deal. I just wasn't aware that AA actually reproduced that game for a short time. As for making boxes, I have indeed looked into reproducing them. Most of the common games boxes for the Intellivision are already online in HD. My printers can reproduce them for less then $3 each. With the Atari 2600 it much harder as you need close up pictures or an original to work with. But there are some great people like Marc O whom makes high quality items. And then there lots of other folks on eBay that just wheel and deal trying to make the most money. It hurts the real Atari enthusiasts like myself seeing obvious fakes, copies, & reproductions being sold as "Real" "Authentic" or "100% original"

A.) The cart from fabman is real, it was mine.

B.) All of angie's shit is fake, the PP box is a ripoff, it doesn't look like the original, it has been modified. Seller is also copying my wife's original art for Charlie Brown. He is copying several of our works actually. Also copying homebrews, like Princess Rescue etc.! We strongly believe this guy is closely connected to Hozer.

• Like 5

A.) The cart from fabman is real, it was mine.

B.) All of angie's shit is fake, the PP box is a ripoff, it doesn't look like the original, it has been modified. Seller is also copying my wife's original art for Charlie Brown. He is copying several of our works actually. Also copying homebrews, like Princess Rescue etc.! We strongly believe this guy is closely connected to Hozer.

Is hozer even still around? I haven't heard about them in a long time.

Who currently owns the copyright (etc.) to the Pink Panther character?

Has anyone made inquiries about the cost to obtain a license so that the game could be officially released?

I very recently saw a new television commercial for Owens-Corning insulation featuring the character, so someone is still actively licensing it.

Oddly, in the commercial, the character was wearing pants. IIRC, he never did so in the original cartoons.