IGNORED

"Jaytrax"Great Synthesizer & Mod Tracker / Sort-of Jaguar Related (Sort-of)

philipj

With all the walls of text, I am still trying to work out whether your song was included in Protector SE or not...? Sincerely, it is all a bit confusing, perhaps try to be a little more concise or to the point (I mean no disrespect here, I tend to write too much at times too).

Some of this historical detail may be better suited to a blog or articles...I think there is a blog facility here on AA...it could be linkable from the thread...again, just a thought.

FWIW, I like some of the tunes youve posted. I too created at least one track, possibly two, for Protector SE but never submitted them. Theyre long lost now, but one day Ill attempt to recreate them using modern software.

Before "Protector SE" was released, Songbird had a contest of some sort where I submitted my song... Because it wasn't in a mod tracker format, my entry never made the cut... For that matter I'm not even sure if Mr. Forhan even knew or understood what the entry was until later after explaining it to him via email... Even more so, I don't know if he even remembers to be brutally honest, but it did happen and I did show him the program some years ago (who remembers an email these days). lol

Through out this journey with the Jag, for what it's worth, Jaytrax was my main source of making music that was game oriented... For example I was a big Namco fan especially the "Tekken 3" arcade, which was just the one of the most bad ass game I've seen next to Killer Instinct, they released a slew of arcade games and was just knocking it out of the ball park. My favorite character was "Eddie Gordo" with his capoeira fighting style... I was already a big fan of the martial art with the "Richard Meyer" character in Fatal Fury and maybe a movie on the art form. One day while playing "Fight for Life" on Jaguar with the hope of making my own fighting game, I thought to myself if I was a make an Eddie Gordo kind of fighter, what would his theme song sound like, so guest what I did... I took off to Jaytrax and composed a score using sounds from real Brazilian capoeira sessions and I had a lot of fun doing. I think losing the experience to father time would be kind of sad, catch my drift?

Tell you what I'll upload the song for download and whoever want to can check it out or themselves. I've made a few minor changes from 2005 to 2013 so the version you hear is the last version, roughly it's the same song from the original.

Looking forward to downloading the program and learning how to use it. It'll be nice to keep it going instead of it disappearing altogether. These old programs are a lot of fun to work with.

Yea it was a lot of fun working on that old program... I have a lot of good memories with such an obscure program; it's even more obscure than the mod tracker itself and people are still using those. I'll upload a copy of Jaytrax with this reply; it's also available at the beginning of this topic.

Capoeira Angola Frenzy (Philip Wood (C) 2013).zip

Jaytrax Free Version.zip

• Like 2

Awesome, thanks!

You're welcome dude...

For the record there's one more thing I like to add... At the time I made that song, a game called "Capoeira Fighter" was out for shockwave player. That game also had an influence for inspiration; I would love to see this ported to the Jaguar.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to wish everyone a "Merry Christmas" and a "Happy New Year"... Included with this post is a "Jaytrax" file that has 2 "sub songs" on it; these songs help to inspire the work I did for "Jagworm"... In fact you can almost here similarities between the musical styles thus it became the frame work for what I would eventually do with the "Jagworm" music. To access the songs, just click the "Sub Song" drop-down-box located on the top right of the menu upon opening the file, select the desired song, then click the "Play button" at the bottom..." Remember you can use the "Spacebar" to make the song completely stop without lingering instruments playing versus using the "Stop button". Just a little tid bid I thought I would add for the record. Anyways I hope everyone enjoy the music; I think the style of the music is very appropriate for the holiday season. Once again have a merry Christmas and happy new year.

merry-christmas-sparkling-ornaments-gif2

Hope (Philip Wood (C) 2018).zip

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a little fact nugget about the music I did for "Jamind Bomb Squad"... The inspiration for the song came from a couple of sources; originally I only knew the game to be "Jagmind" in the beginning. When Is started working on the song, at the time I had just obtained an Intellivision with the game "Bomb Squad" that I was playing a lot back in those days. I didn't know what the game would play like so if I recall Starcats had brokedown the game play to me in description as a puzzle game so my first thought would be to create something of mystery and atmospheric while the player figure the puzzle out. A song that came to mind was one off of "Samurai Showdown" for the SNES, which was Nakoruru theme song; so I would play the SNES song in the background while playing a game of "Bomb Squad" on my Intellivision to help drum up some inspiration "Jagmind" and that's how I wind up making two songs for the game. Also that's how "Jagmind" had the name "Bomb Squad" added where as before, it was only known as simply "Jagmind". Lars changed up the game a little and added new stuff to what he had already made as well as the Bomb Squad name at the end.

One more thing I want to mention... I remember a person posting sometime ago about me not making more songs for the "Jagmind" video game...? Well there's a very good reason for that. I'd previous made a crap load of songs for the game "Jagworm" and the songs were set and already made with the game still being worked on until the infamous "Hard Drive Crash" were the original source code or game got lost. When I did the music for Jagmind, I remember asking Lars if he wanted more songs, but he didn't seem to want to take the chance again of me making a lot of songs and him loosing his work again, which was completely understandable at that time. But for those who might remember those days, yea I did want to do more songs, but it just never worked out that way.

Edited by philipj
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I posted anything here in this topic... This is a bit known "Jaytrax" specific, but very music composition related. Having looked at the history of music composition using midi interface, I felt a bit compelled to get my hands on an "Atari ST" to do a little retro digging into what the old computer had to offer. Never having owned one before, in the 90s, my first computer wasn't really a computer; it was but it wasn't... It was an "IBM Portable Word Processor" that came with it's own printer so I was doing homework and writing poetry in my teen years. I did have a couple of keyboards in the mid 90s, but nothing to really do any real composition back in those days so to get an Atari ST now really served as bit of a "What-If" throwback. I probably should post this in the ST section, but it's kind at the heart of my curiosity of what I could've really done with the old ST if I had it back in those early 90s versus discovering the "Jaytrax" sequencer in the late 90s as well as some other great programs like "HammerHead" beat machine for beat loops or the "TS-404 synthesizer" program to make synth loops. Among other thing like learning to program the "Motorola 68000" for other experimental projects and ideas, I might be prematurely putting this out there... Screw it; I'll take my chances anyway. To be honest the Atari ST actually looks better than the eBay post, which are the last three pictures.

post-3526-0-85792900-1554524885_thumb.jpg

post-3526-0-85582400-1554524916_thumb.jpg

post-3526-0-27737900-1554524949_thumb.jpg

post-3526-0-69135500-1554524984_thumb.jpg

Edited by philipj
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ok I was revisiting some old music last night that I made wanted to highlight something that bought back a bit of nostalgia and that's "Pac Man Intermission"... It's one of the first Jaytrax songs I posted here I wanted to shine a light on. The music was inspired by a track from "Ridge Racer 1" for the original "Playstation 1" called "Rotterdam Nation". Just a little something I wanted to briefly highlight during my experimental phase of music making just to see if I could make music of that caliber. It would be the second or third time I've made that kind of music and there was no better theme for such a song than the "Pac Man" theme.

Edited by philipj
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

I'm going to post some old-school here... I just want to wish everyone a merry Christmas and a happy new year. The YouTube's that I have posted are from an old Christmas album that use to be out in the very early 90s called "Electronic Computer Christmas Music". The thing that caught my attention to this album back in 91 or 92 was the "Electronic Computer" part; believe it or not, I remember getting this album at a time when I didn't really own a computer let alone was into music composition via computer sequencing. Believe it or not this album inspired me to get into computer music down the road so nearly 25 years later I get the CD online to relive those nostalgic moments. Luckily someone has already posted the music on YouTube, which I've posted some of my favorite tracks. For a playlist just click the following link here ------> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrZTFrXK7qTDAz5901qfSPdgfNXSbjyBm

• 4 years later...