IGNORED

Scene Demo completed: Triptych

SvOlli

Hello,

10 years ago the guys from the demogroups wAMMA and Trilobit tried to build a cartridge that runs 6 different already released demos together with a newly coded menu.
9 years ago they gave up and released their stuff unfinished as a cry for help.
5 years ago I was asked, if I could try to fix it finally. I succeeded, but for other reasons it never was completed.
Well, until now.

The whole story is available at https://xayax.net/nonxayax/triptych/, including an option to run the demo in an emulator running in your webbrwoser.

The coolest part about it: a cartridge will be available in the AtariAge store soon.

Have fun!

("demo" in this case demonstrates cool coding skills as a non-interactive animation, and not some kind on unfinished game)

• Like 12

Doesn't the "random start bank" problem become kind of moot with Melody boards? Does anyone even make F4 boards these days? I guess emulator compatibility is a concern tho

I also noticed a bug: all the screens in the intro are 308 scanlines only

edit: Of course it's nice to see this finally (mostly) finished :]

Edited by Tjoppen
  • Like 1

Doesn't the "random start bank" problem become kind of moot with Melody boards? Does anyone even make F4 boards these days? I guess emulator compatibility is a concern tho

The current CLPD code make sure that bank 0 is selected. Running the cartridge in the 7800 bank 5 is the starting bank due to the firmware checking the ROM. The current Stella can be configured much more strict than the original hardware, which is fine for development, but not-so-fine for just running code.

I also noticed a bug: all the screens in the intro are 308 scanlines only

The 308 lines are also used in the original Triptych menu preview: https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=53887

There are also some other smaller glitches in some of the demos, which I decided not to fix for several reasons, keeping them as original as possible being one of them.

Ooh, I like how easy it is to start this up in Stellerator.

That's the one feature I requested from DirtyHarry: an option to include Stellerator the way it is done now: one click, and you can see the demo.

Thanks, DirtyHarry!

• Like 2

That's the one feature I requested from DirtyHarry: an option to include Stellerator the way it is done now: one click, and you can see the demo.

Thanks, DirtyHarry!

You're welcome. I have updated the embedded build to support touch controls. If you update to 0.9.12, the demo can be controlled on iOS via touch. You can use the link on the demo page if you'd like to link documentation on touch ;)