IGNORED

Your favorite "Sleeper Game" on the Atari 5200

Omega-TI

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd be going through a cartridge to REMOVE stuff because of the overwhelming quantity of stuff makes it unmanageable (at least for me).

After I came across the Laser GATES game, I thought to myself, "Damn this is a great sleeper game". It started me thinking, you guys with Atarimax cartridges must have had the same experience when you started going through systematically trying out everything. So...

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SLEEPER GAME THAT YOU FOUND

GORF and Galaxian. For some reason, people love to shit on these games, but I think they're great. Galaxian is like crack to me.

Montezuma's Revenge would be another one. I think people blow it off because they assume it would be unplayable with the 5200 controller, which I can tell you is far from the case.

Laser Gates? Prototypes and 400/800 conversions should all be "sleepers" since they never came out BITD. ;) :P

• Like 1

Laser Gates is a conversion from the A8 computer. It is a great game.

I also love Galaxian. The two speed control gives it an edge over the A8 version IMO.

Pac-man is the game I like the most on the 5200. All these years I still find it the best version to play.

Then there is Adventure II, Gremlins, and Defender... Centipede and Tempest with the roller-controller...

• Like 2

My favorite released game is Space Dungeon and it's a 5200 exclusive. Great graphics and super fun it's hard to beat. My favorite unreleased but finished game is Blaster. It's the sequel to Robotron and really shows what the 5200 is capable of graphics wise. Also a very fun game once you get the hang of it. It's also unique in that it was specifically developed for the 800/5200 and then turned into an arcade machine...the opposite of every other game of the day.

My favorite released game is Space Dungeon and it's a 5200 exclusive. Great graphics and super fun it's hard to beat. My favorite unreleased but finished game is Blaster. It's the sequel to Robotron and really shows what the 5200 is capable of graphics wise. Also a very fun game once you get the hang of it. It's also unique in that it was specifically developed for the 800/5200 and then turned into an arcade machine...the opposite of every other game of the day.

Agreed about Space Dungeon, it's also a great 2-player cooperative game - one player flies, the other shoots (like being in an Apache helicopter or something). There aren't that many 2-player cooperative games out there (wish there was a Space Duel for the 5200).

I faintly remember laser gates...2600 i guess?

Hmmm. Sleeper. I dunno. As a lifelong 5200 fan, River Raid is a top game, but not a sleeper, imho. Nor is Keystone Capers.

I just got Star Raiders a year ago and it blows me away, but again, not a sleeper, i think.

Its hard for me to define "sleeper" on an underappreciated system that has a small library, i guess.