IGNORED

I want to try to produce the Turbo Freezer 2011 again

Could somebody point me to some info what this board does exactly ? I think it "freezes" the Atari, dumps it memory into a file that you can later load back again ? So it would be nice for f.i. hi-score game practice. But what are the other features (if any). Everyone seems to know exactly what it does...I probably missed it :D

But I am surely interested in one already :)

Could somebody point me to some info what this board does exactly ? I think it "freezes" the Atari, dumps it memory into a file that you can later load back again ?

Yes, that's one of the functions. You also get a 512k RAM upgrade, the possibility to run a couple carts from it's flash, a built-in monitor and several other things.

Nir did a nice video about some of it's features, you can view it here:

Some more info is on my website: http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/

And if you like to read stuff here's the manual (which doesn't cover the features I added since the last official release though, like presets / "menu" for the CartEmu) http://www.horus.com/~hias/freezer/turbo-freezer-2011/FreezerManualEn-3.10-130330.pdf

so long,

Hias

• Like 2

Interested.

Yes, that's one of the functions. You also get a 512k RAM upgrade, the possibility to run a couple carts from it's flash, a built-in monitor and several other things.

It seems that only have 1 saving slot. It could be added as new feature for the second design.

It seems that only have 1 saving slot. It could be added as new feature for the second design.

With the new 3.11 software (not officially released yet, latest preview is here: http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/freezer-software-160509.zip)you can save one snapshot to the internal freezer memory and up to 8 snapshots to the 512k ramdisk - everything with battery backup. If you have a 1MB RAM upgrade (eg U1MB) and use that instead of the 512k RAM upgrade from the freezer you can store up to 16 snapshots there - but this won't be battery backuped then, of course.

I'm very busy with work ATM but I think I should find some time this autumn to rewrite the docs and finally do the official 3.11 release.

so long,

Hias

• Like 6

Hi all,

once again a small update:
The boards of the old version from 2011 are now almost there, but are currently hold at customs
I've talked to santosp about whether I can build on his version and he kindly allowed me that.

Thank you santosp for that!

All those who are interested so far, I will contact you as soon as I can foresee a timetable.

Many thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions!

So long

Sven

• Like 3

What is the difference to the 2005edition?

See http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/#freezer

The Turbo Freezer XL/XE 2011 is a complete redesign of the previous 2005 model (see below) offering a lot of new exciting features:

• Separate, cheap, adapter boards allow you to plug your Turbo Freezer into both an XL and XE computer
  • Adapter boards are equipped with a PBI passthrough connector so you can still connect PBI devices (like harddrive interfaces)
  • Xilinx XC95144XL CPLD, a total of 1MB flash memory and 1MB of battery-backed RAM
  • Built-in battery-backed 512k RAM upgrade (RAMBO compatible, can be enabled/disabled by a switch)
  • Extended cartridge emulation, adding support for Atarimax compatible banking and stackable SpartaDosX carts
  • Hardware and software support for Stereo POKEY systems
The documentation, software (including source), schematics etc. are available at the usual location:

http://turbofreezer.horus.com/

The battery-backed RAM made it possible to create the cartemu preset/menu feature and also means your snapshots (to freezer RAM or ramdisk) and debugger command history are preserved on power-off.

so long,

Hias

Edited by HiassofT
  • Like 1

I assume there's no freezer device which would work on an XEGS...

I guess it could work if you modded your XEGS to have a PBI (or ECI+cart connection, like on XEs).

But I don't have any XEGS to test myself so can't guarantee it'll work.

so long,

Hias

• Like 1