IGNORED

Shenmue Trilogy

Even though I was a huge Dreamcast fan, I never once played Shenmue. I think i might even have a copy, but don't think I ever played it, either that or I played it briefly but couldn't get into it.. It looked so mundane to me I think. Seems like I remember watching cutscenes, walking around slowly, trying to earn money to buy things, maybe it was too much like real life to me. I really need to try it again. I heard it picks up, but you have to play it a few hours before anything very exciting happens.

Even though I was a huge Dreamcast fan, I never once played Shenmue. I think i might even have a copy, but don't think I ever played it, either that or I played it briefly but couldn't get into it.. It looked so mundane to me I think. Seems like I remember watching cutscenes, walking around slowly, trying to earn money to buy things, maybe it was too much like real life to me. I really need to try it again. I heard it picks up, but you have to play it a few hours before anything very exciting happens.

Its a slow burn for sure at first. But give it time and it will suck you in. It was revoluntary in many ways when it cane out. It was open world in a way that no other game of the time was.

The story continues in part 3 next year at last. And that the cool thing, 2 and 3 are not sequels, they are parts of the exact storyline started in part 1.

I really liked the first two Shenmue games on DC. I don't really need to play through them again but I'd definitely like to complete the trilogy. Pretty excited, it's been a long time coming! I had no idea 3 was coming out until just recently. Somehow I missed the trailer.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

The story continues in part 3 next year at last. And that the cool thing, 2 and 3 are not sequels, they are parts of the exact storyline started in part 1.

I wonder if they'll do a "catch up" movie like they did with the second game on the Xbox?

I wonder if they'll do a "catch up" movie like they did with the second game on the Xbox?

Great question. I hope so. I have the HD remakes of 1 and 2 ordered at Best Buy And will play they then again before 3 comes out but a movie like that would be awesome. Still have my original copies and 1 and 2 as well :0

I'm glad I was there for the first one, it was really something special...a stab at an "Everything" game we dreamed about as kids. I've never played the sequel though: already moved on from Dreamcast when it was released, and when I had an Xbox I always thought "nah, I will play it one day properly with the save transfer". Suffice to say this never happened.

Did they say anything about some sort of save continuity from part 2 in the newest one?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm excited for 3. I haven't preordered the remasters but I probably will buy.

However, I do feel that many people forget just how many quicktime events the original game has and that will haunt the review scores. Also the voice acting was always terrible if you ask me. I love the rest of the game though.

Same here. I *wanted* to like since I've been told time and again that it's a masterpiece, but it seems more like a 'real life simulator' with an adventure game grafted onto it. Not my thing.

• Like 1

Same here. I *wanted* to like since I've been told time and again that it's a masterpiece, but it seems more like a 'real life simulator' with an adventure game grafted onto it. Not my thing.

Its a unique game for sure.

Playing a forklift driver (you do that in the game) is weirdly fun for me. :0

But I can easily see how its flow could be boring to some people.

I sort of felt bad pointing that out. I don't like being the bearer of bad news. :)

But hopefully this remaster will keep the fans busy over the next year.

Im glad its a bit a at, part 1 and 2 will take me some time to get thru again. Jan would be better but heck Im just glad its has a official date now. :0

Anyone happened to play Outrun yet in the remastered Shenmue 2?

I'm curious how the arcade games were handled here. The easy way in my mind is to take the modern M2 developed ports from the last few Yakuza games for the original Outrun and such, and recycle that work here since on the PS4 at least, nothing would even have to be touched. The harder way would be for D3T to actually port over the old arcade conversions that were in the original versions of Shenmue and Shenue II.

An easy hint as to the possible ancestry of the arcade conversions would be Outrun in Shenmue II. The old port on the Dreamcast and original Xbox lacked an on-screen gear indicator to tell you if you were in low or high gear, since the arcade game originally obviously had a physical shifter present on the cabinet that would've made that superfluous. The version in the modern Yakuza games though has the useful addition for console gamers of LOW or HI just to the right of the speedometer to denote what gear you're in (And also runs in 60 fps versus the 30 fps of the old ports).

Nothing on YouTube yet since fans are largely concentrating on playing Shenmue 1 at the moment.

Edited by Atariboy