IGNORED

Why the Name Trash-80?

From Wikipedia:

The Expansion Interface was the most troublesome part of the TRS-80 system. It went through several revisions. The E/I connected to the CPU/keyboard with a 6-inch ribbon cable which was unshielded against RF interference and its card edge connector tended to oxidize due to its base metal contacts. This demanded periodic cleaning with a pencil eraser in order to avoid spontaneous reboots, which contributed to its "Trash-80" sobriquet.

• Like 1

When I see "TRSDOS" in that pic, I actually hear it in my head as "TrashDOS" :)

I dunno, I need to see an "H" in there to get "Trash." Phonetically, I just see "Triss." Which is actually how Radio Shack suggested it be pronounced in their DOS manuals, IIRC ("TrissDoss"). :)

I dunno, I need to see an "H" in there to get "Trash." Phonetically, I just see "Triss." Which is actually how Radio Shack suggested it be pronounced in their DOS manuals, IIRC ("TrissDoss"). :)

Well, I think it's because "DOS" itself is an acronym. So my mind is trying to see "TRS" as an acronym too, and "Trash" is already in my head. I guess technically that would make "TRS" an abbreviation (not sure that's right either). Which it already is, obviously, but just for something else.

"Triss" sounds like Tandy trying desperately to *stop* people from saying "Trash". "Trash" has been around for a really long time. I'm pretty sure I first heard it in the 1970's. I know I heard it before I actually knew what "TRS" really stood for.

Edited by spacecadet

Well, I think it's because "DOS" itself is an acronym. So my mind is trying to see "TRS" as an acronym too, and "Trash" is already in my head. I guess technically that would make "TRS" an abbreviation (not sure that's right either). Which it already is, obviously, but just for something else.

"Triss" sounds like Tandy trying desperately to *stop* people from saying "Trash". "Trash" has been around for a really long time. I'm pretty sure I first heard it in the 1970's. I know I heard it before I actually knew what "TRS" really stood for.

That possibility occurred to me. Offhand I know Radio Shack's clarification of "Triss" appeared in the TRSDOS-II manual, which must have been 1979 or '80. "Trash-80" must have caught on really early if Radio Shack was already trying to quash it by then

And "TRS" is an acronym, not an abbreviation. Tandy Radio Shack. :)