IGNORED

Forget practical or useful or even purist... "just because" it's cool!

Omega-TI

Have you ever wanted to see something taken to the 'next level', just because?

For example the Raspberry Pi for the TIPI. With it's built-in WiFi any TI'er with one can get on the BBS's super easy. Gone are the days of bulky modems or UDS-10's with wires, cables and connectors everywhere. But... what could it do streaming to your WiFi capable TV or Chromecast unit? I bet there is 'something 'cool' that could be done?

Any ideas... just because...

Why not attach a webcam to the TIPI, and "stream" data to your TI. Would likely need an F18a to get some decent graphics. Might work as a security system if you had something to do motion control. I realize streaming video is going to be very frame rate dependent at our TI speeds.

Inbound to the TI or WiFi outbound to a WiFi capable TI or Chromecast unit will always be limited by the speed of the processor and the graphics mode. I have no idea how much information you can pump out to maintain a suitable frames/sec for viewing. A Geneve could pump out more.

Beery

Have you ever wanted to see something taken to the 'next level', just because?

For example the Raspberry Pi for the TIPI. With it's built-in WiFi any TI'er with one can get on the BBS's super easy. Gone are the days of bulky modems or UDS-10's with wires, cables and connectors everywhere. But... what could it do streaming to your WiFi capable TV or Chromecast unit? I bet there is 'something 'cool' that could be done?

Any ideas... just because...

It could do... anything a Pi running Linux can do?

I mean, you could install X and a desktop environment and your TIPI would be a full modern PC.

All sorts of things could be accomplished, I'm sure lots of guys have thought about things I have not, but one thing popped into my head...

I just read that Tim would like to do something 'new' with his BBS...

...How about sending notification to the TIPI server whenever there are new messages or personal messages waiting?

Notifications could also be sent concerning Chatti messages, chess move status, etc.

All the data could be aggregated and sent via WiFI to a Chromecast. The user could then select the appropriate input on their TV and get an "at a glance view" of all activity across different TI related sites.

• Like 1

I imagine much of this is dependent upon the F18A and F18A MK2. That VDP replacement, maintaining backwards compatibility, has opened our eyes to practical and fun uses.

A true 80 character Word processer and Multiplan spreadsheet would open new vistas.

When real work is saved in the 99/4A environment, we will want to send it out into the world, and get profitable responses in return.

The TIPI can be the next generation modem for us.

Printing is still a real issue. How can we print out invoices without a modern replacement, even if it is dot matrix style product?

Can TIPI help with printing?

A small business can be run on the old hardware, albeit with much toil.

A small business can be run WELL with 80 columns, printing and connectivity to the modern world.

TIPI will now be the 99/4A's port to the outside world.

Think Large.

What form will that take? Can we send attachments to an email address? Or, barring that, dropping a file into a drop-box?

I think the goals should be practical. The fun will follow with Internet gaming, 99/4A to 99/4A, and such.