IGNORED

RGB, SCART, Component, Composite- Understanding failed Misuse of Terms.

Picked it up from Mercari. I've never used the site before (and man do they not make it easy to sign up) but it had by far the best price on a 910MP... $40 with shipping, as opposed to $110-$150 on eBay. It's already shipped out and I'm supposed to get it by Monday. Hopefully it will arrive safely. I haven't been able to get much information about it online, but it sounds like everything that goes through the SCART port is displayed at 480i rather than 240p. That's disappointing, but I'm crossing my fingers that the picture will still be better than it has been on my other LCD monitors.

And of course, if I'm not happy with that display, I've got the CRT generously offered by another member as a back-up plan.

Picked it up from Mercari. I've never used the site before (and man do they not make it easy to sign up) but it had by far the best price on a 910MP... $40 with shipping, as opposed to $110-$150 on eBay. It's already shipped out and I'm supposed to get it by Monday. Hopefully it will arrive safely. I haven't been able to get much information about it online, but it sounds like everything that goes through the SCART port is displayed at 480i rather than 240p. That's disappointing, but I'm crossing my fingers that the picture will still be better than it has been on my other LCD monitors.

And of course, if I'm not happy with that display, I've got the CRT generously offered by another member as a back-up plan.

http://15khz.wikidot.com/printer--friendly/

Manual:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200501/20050126134514656_BN59-00390N-01EnP.pdf

I haven't even received this monitor yet and I'm already pissed off at it. They should have called it the Samsung Cockblocker.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/1246017-samsung-940mw-17-lcd-trouble-getting-ext-rgb-connection-work.html

"Oh, it interlaces the picture so it's blurry."

"Fine, it's gotta be better than composite at least."

"And you've got to set it to a different country in the options menu before SCART will even be recognized."

"Well, that's stupidly inconvenient, but sure, whatever."

"By the way! We may not have powered the SCART connector, so you'll have to wire up those pins yourself."

"I am going to hurt you right now."

"And we used cheap capacitors so you might have to replace those too!"

"Did I say 'hurt?' I meant 'grievously injure.' You may not survive."

Trying to get a halfway decent picture out of my Genesis has been a cavalcade of horse shit from day one. DAY ONE. I bought an upscaler... it looks like crap. I've tried installing S-video mods... they didn't take. Now I've got a monitor coming in the mail, and I'm told it'll look like crap, if it works properly at all! Could we stop with the anal violations already? I'm starting to bleed.

As for the yokels who say real hardware is better than emulation... you go through what I've been through, then tell me that. I love the Genesis and all, but there are limits.

Trying to get a halfway decent picture out of my Genesis has been a cavalcade of horse shit from day one. DAY ONE. I bought an upscaler... it looks like crap. I've tried installing S-video mods... they didn't take. Now I've got a monitor coming in the mail, and I'm told it'll look like crap, if it works properly at all! Could we stop with the anal violations already? I'm starting to bleed.

It ain't hard, man. Here's the winning formula if you aren't doing CRTs or emulation.

TCL S405 (take your pic of 40", 43", 49", 55", 65") A budget 4K that delivers only 15ms of lag and likes all the OSSC LineX modes

+

A stock Genesis 1 or 2 with a RGB Scart Cable

+

OSSC set to Line3X, Line 4X, Line 5X. Tune overscan mask to hide Genesis color borders

=

You'll stop complaining. ;-)

I haven't even received this monitor yet and I'm already pissed off at it. They should have called it the Samsung Cockblocker.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/1246017-samsung-940mw-17-lcd-trouble-getting-ext-rgb-connection-work.html

"Oh, it interlaces the picture so it's blurry."

"Fine, it's gotta be better than composite at least."

"And you've got to set it to a different country in the options menu before SCART will even be recognized."

"Well, that's stupidly inconvenient, but sure, whatever."

"By the way! We may not have powered the SCART connector, so you'll have to wire up those pins yourself."

"I am going to hurt you right now."

"And we used cheap capacitors so you might have to replace those too!"

"Did I say 'hurt?' I meant 'grievously injure.' You may not survive."

As for the yokels who say real hardware is better than emulation... you go through what I've been through, then tell me that. I love the Genesis and all, but there are limits.

I finally got to use my DC through SCART on this monitor. It was better than Svideo but far from VGA. The colors were really vibrant through SCART but not a very crisp picture.

Oh, it'll work. In fact, here's a few pictures I took myself. (The monitor just came today. It came in a diaper box, but it arrived safely and that's what counts.)

Anyway, my thoughts. Definitely not as good as I was hoping it would be, but considering the age of the system and the lack of monitors in America that use SCART, it's sufficient. Chroma seems strong, especially the reds, but luma is kind of weak... blacks are dark grey and whites are light grey, which saps some of the life out of the picture. It's doubly annoying when you see the menu overlay and its whites are brilliant.

Pixel separation is better than composite... I have a picture in that pile which shows a close up of the sky in Sonic 2, and it's so well defined that light blue pixels can easily be distinguished from their darker blue neighbors. That's the kind of action I wanted to see from this monitor. Scrolling isn't perfect... I noticed some horizontal screen tearing from time to time, but it's not as jarring as it was on the SCART to HDMI converter I had been using. That converter (sold under the CiBest brand name among others) made things look pretty good in still shots, but screen movement left a blur on the sprites that reminded me of the screen filter HQ2X.

So I dunno. It's a wash. The Samsung 910MP gives me a better picture than I was getting out of my other LCD monitors, yet it's not as good as I've heard SCART can be. Apparently, the television de-interlaces images received from the SCART port, which is why it looks muddy and processed rather than sharp and bright. I haven't tried connecting the Genesis to this monitor using a VGA cable (I've got some wires soldered to the underside of the system just for that purpose), but all I've read suggests that it will give me similar results. That's still better than the NO results I was getting from my other VGA monitors, but still could use some improvement.

Also, it's worth mentioning that you have to set the region of the 910MP to Europe before you can use the SCART port. Once you do, there's no going back... you're stuck with your choice. For my monitor, it's pip-pip-cheerio-and-a-spot-of-tea for the rest of its life. That means you won't be able to get an analog television signal from the set... not that this means anything since analog television signals stopped being broadcast in America nearly ten years ago. Still, it feels rather draconian and short-sighted on Samsung's part.

Just one more thing (squints eye). The SCART connector is hella big, but it fits snugly into the back of the television, and it handles every signal the Genesis outputs in one fell swoop. Composite, luma and chroma, RGB, audio... it's all right there, with no other cables required. It's convenient, that's what that is. It's mystifying that SCART was restricted to Europe, because it's not only easy to use, it's expandable in a way US display formats weren't. Even VGA can't do audio, but it's right there in the SCART cable. Using one of these must have given Europeans the same thrill I got from plugging in an HDMI cable for the first time, and they got a twenty year head start.

post-393-0-19552200-1533419107_thumb.jpg

post-393-0-46393600-1533419172_thumb.jpg

post-393-0-37861500-1533419199_thumb.jpg

post-393-0-96463900-1533419244_thumb.jpg

post-393-0-58964800-1533419267_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, it'll work. In fact, here's a few pictures I took myself. (The monitor just came today. It came in a diaper box, but it arrived safely and that's what counts.)

Do you think it is worth the 40US$ you said you paid + a Scart cable for the Genesis?

An actual Genesis with SCART looks fine, you just need the proper tools.

But that costs way more than 40US$ .... though I agree there are ways to enjoy a Genesis/MD in all its RGB glory even if when I see games using lots of dithering or vertical color banding I know they were not meant for the pixel separation of RGB but for composite and CRT natural blending .... one day digital processors may be able to "get it" and allow a "CRT blend" mode to simulate the extra colors those techniques enabled but the hardware didn't have native.

But that costs way more than 40US$ ....

Getting the job done the way you want often requires investing in the proper tools. This goes for anything in life. If you've got a large yard on a hill, are you going to go get a self propelled gas mower, or one of those cheap manual push mowers and then complain it's taking forever and you're tired. If you're doing maintenance on your own car, are you going to go get a nice socket/ratchet set with an impact, or are you going to Dollar General and grabbing an adjustable crescent wrench and complain it's rounding off the bolts.

I don't see how hooking up ancient consoles to flat panels is any different. Are people really surprised when the cheap stuff isn't doing what they want? The tools are out there if you want them. :(

• Like 1

An actual Genesis with SCART looks fine, you just need the proper tools.

Getting the job done the way you want often requires investing in the proper tools.

A grounded out screwdriver and a resistor :)

Wooosh 180 flip. Go from locking the thread to buying the proper tools to get the job done. :-D

Anyway, my thoughts. Definitely not as good as I was hoping it would be, but considering the age of the system and the lack of monitors in America that use SCART, it's sufficient. Chroma seems strong, especially the reds, but luma is kind of weak... blacks are dark grey and whites are light grey, which saps some of the life out of the picture. It's doubly annoying when you see the menu overlay and its whites are brilliant.

Pixel separation is better than composite... I have a picture in that pile which shows a close up of the sky in Sonic 2, and it's so well defined that light blue pixels can easily be distinguished from their darker blue neighbors. That's the kind of action I wanted to see from this monitor. Scrolling isn't perfect... I noticed some horizontal screen tearing from time to time, but it's not as jarring as it was on the SCART to HDMI converter I had been using. That converter (sold under the CiBest brand name among others) made things look pretty good in still shots, but screen movement left a blur on the sprites that reminded me of the screen filter HQ2X.

So I dunno. It's a wash. The Samsung 910MP gives me a better picture than I was getting out of my other LCD monitors, yet it's not as good as I've heard SCART can be. Apparently, the television de-interlaces images received from the SCART port, which is why it looks muddy and processed rather than sharp and bright. I haven't tried connecting the Genesis to this monitor using a VGA cable (I've got some wires soldered to the underside of the system just for that purpose), but all I've read suggests that it will give me similar results. That's still better than the NO results I was getting from my other VGA monitors, but still could use some improvement.

Also, it's worth mentioning that you have to set the region of the 910MP to Europe before you can use the SCART port. Once you do, there's no going back... you're stuck with your choice. For my monitor, it's pip-pip-cheerio-and-a-spot-of-tea for the rest of its life. That means you won't be able to get an analog television signal from the set... not that this means anything since analog television signals stopped being broadcast in America nearly ten years ago. Still, it feels rather draconian and short-sighted on Samsung's part.

Just one more thing (squints eye). The SCART connector is hella big, but it fits snugly into the back of the television, and it handles every signal the Genesis outputs in one fell swoop. Composite, luma and chroma, RGB, audio... it's all right there, with no other cables required. It's convenient, that's what that is. It's mystifying that SCART was restricted to Europe, because it's not only easy to use, it's expandable in a way US display formats weren't. Even VGA can't do audio, but it's right there in the SCART cable. Using one of these must have given Europeans the same thrill I got from plugging in an HDMI cable for the first time, and they got a twenty year head start.

It's definitely super soft around the edges based on the photos you attached. Hey, at least it didn't cost you much. :)

Do you think it is worth the 40US$ you said you paid + a Scart cable for the Genesis?

Honestly? No, not really. I was curious, took a risk, and it didn't pan out. Such is life.

However! It provided knowledge I couldn't have gotten from the internet alone. I was curious about the SCART format, and now I have an SCART television without having to pay a tremendous amount of money to get one from overseas. Although its uses are limited (no component, no HDMI) I could set this up elsewhere in the house to work with retro game consoles. You know, the Genesis, my recently acquired Super NES, the Saturn once I get it back from Michigan, the ColecoVision that's lying dormant in my computer room, etc. It's an old-school monitor for old-school game consoles. Yes, I'm making lemonade out of lemons.

As for Genesis games, I'll either fall back on my Raspberry Pi or just get that Minigen HD I've been eyeballing. Yes, there are better tools for the job, but when you're on a budget, you've got to choose the best options within that budget. If you can afford an OSSC or Framemeister, then use those, but I can't honestly justify spending that kind of money.

If you can afford an OSSC or Framemeister, then use those, but I can't honestly justify spending that kind of money.

I'm sorry if this comes across a bit mean, but you just tossed $40 at something you were unsure of results for. You mentioned prior trying a different scaler and s-video mods and were dissappointed as well. You've essentially been buying lottery tickets instead of investing. Gambling money on numerous cheap items I'm not sure of is what I'd consider not something worth justifying.

The OSSC isn't that terribly expensive, if you can wait. That was $40 that could have been put away towards something that's known to work very well. :?