IGNORED

RGB, SCART, Component, Composite- Understanding failed Misuse of Terms.

They are pretty close. The biggest difference I have found with the OSSC is its colors pop more and its black levels are better. As far as overall sharpness, they are about the same. Of course, this is just one angle of each device, they both have positives and negatives outside of that.

post-24675-0-87992900-1533606202_thumb.png

• Like 1

Clarify, please.

There isn't really anything to clarify. At about 18:40 min. in that video he shows turning a setting on called "deep color" while using the FM makes the image pink and has no sound.

It seems on modern 4K TVs the OSSC is a better buy than the XRGBMini as long as the TV can tolerate the weird refreshes.

I think it's great if one is in the market for both a 4K TV and a line-doubler/upscaler.

Given though that deep color make 0 sense for any console that is not a XBOne or PS4 not sure why icemanxp300 seems to imply that it is a deal breaker for the XRGBMini but it doesn't really matter (the video was nicely done).

Given though that deep color make 0 sense for any console that is not a XBOne or PS4 not sure why icemanxp300 seems to imply that it is a deal breaker for the XRGBMini but it doesn't really matter.

I was simply posting what the video shows and based off that video the OSSC seems to out perform the FM. I have zero interest in either of them as I use CRT's. I just thought the info was relevant to the discussion. However if I was paying twice as much for a product I would be irritated to see it performs poorly (or in this case doesn't really perform at all) under certain conditions as compared to it's half price competition.

I was simply posting what the video shows and based off that video the OSSC seems to out perform the FM. I have zero interest in either of them as I use CRT's. I just thought the info was relevant to the discussion. However if I was paying twice as much for a product I would be irritated to see it performs poorly (or in this case doesn't really perform at all) under certain conditions as compared to it's half price competition.

Different products for different markets at different times.

The XRGBMini is on its way out, the OSSC is here to stay. People can choose what they want, the cost is only important based on what they want to achieve (there's still people preferring the XRGB3 to the Mini for their own reasons).

If people can buy a new 4K TV that works well with the OSSC there's little to no reason to spend more and buy an XRGBMini (unless they need to capture, but that will change too), if they want to keep the TV their choices may be different.

Exactly like you chose to gather a little army of awesome Sony CRTs (a couple of 200+lb in there too) for your own reasons some people may consider the XRGBMini as their concrete option, if I had the space I would find me one of those Sony CRTs but I don't so what works for you wouldn't work for me.

There isn't really anything to clarify. At about 18:40 min. in that video he shows turning a setting on called "deep color" while using the FM makes the image pink and has no sound.

Sorry, my ESP is a little off today. The time code (that should have been in your previous post) puts your statement into context a little bit better, so I appreciate that.

The video shows that the Deep Color issue is a problem for some, not others. If it is, the option can be disabled. Older 1080p displays in particular are not as likely to have the feature, and in some of the cases where they do, it has been shown that the option doesn't have a real-world effect despite it being there--it's going to depend on the make/model. My 1080p set doesn't even have the option.

As phoenixdownita mentioned, the Framemeister is on its way out. That doesn't mean it doesn't still have several advantages over the OSSC, most notably the superior de-interlacing, zoom functionality, HDMI inputs and composite/s-video. It's the jack of all trades.

These days the Framemeister isn't for casual users that just want to play old games on their modern TV. The Retro Tink or OSSC can fill that slot depending on your needs. I see the Framemeister as an old device that still has perfectly viable (and important) uses for hardcore users or professionals.

Without acknowledging the bigger picture, you're just making yourself look like an idiot.

Sorry, my ESP is a little off today. The time code (that should have been in your previous post) puts your statement into context a little bit better, so I appreciate that.

Whatever dude. You watched the video since you posted a SS from the damn thing! Not my problem you selectively chose to see what you wanted!

Without acknowledging the bigger picture, you're just making yourself look like an idiot.

Like I said all I did was post the video and relative information to it. How the hell is that making me look like an idiot? Man I can't believe we have FM fanboys so uptight and pissy if someone doesn't think the FM is gods gift to gamers.

Again as EVERYONE keeps saying. This is a discussion. You shouldn't call someone and idiot for simply posting information if it negatively affects a product you favor. Cry babies.

I see the Framemeister as an old device that still has perfectly viable (and important) uses for hardcore users or professionals.

I've seen you make this reference or ones like it a few times now. I have to ask - who are these "professionals" you refer to? Where can I submit my resume to become a professional retro video game player in the comfort of my mancave? What kind of salary expectations should I entertain? Can I put my cats or my friends from middle school 30 years ago as references?

Learn me. Teach me.

I've seen you make this reference or ones like it a few times now. I have to ask - who are these "professionals" you refer to? Where can I submit my resume to become a professional retro video game player in the comfort of my mancave? What kind of salary expectations should I entertain? Can I put my cats or my friends from middle school 30 years ago as references?

Learn me. Teach me.

People that make money (and sometimes a living) from streaming and recording. We have a few on this forum.

Whatever dude. You watched the video since you posted a SS from the damn thing! Not my problem you selectively chose to see what you wanted!

I watched the video a week ago. Sorry if every little detail of every video I watch isn't always fresh in my head 110% of the time.

Again as EVERYONE keeps saying. This is a discussion. You shouldn't call someone and idiot for simply posting information if it negatively affects a product you favor. Cry babies.

To me it has been pretty clear you were never looking to have any form of meaningful discussion, but rather assert your [ignorant] superiority upon others. Denouncing me as a supposed Framemeister fanboy emphasizes that further, when the reality is I have never once said it would be the first choice I would recommend. All I am doing in this thread is throwing out the facts and letting people think for themselves, but it seems like some here are fairly incapable of actually doing that.

To me it has been pretty clear you were never looking to have any form of meaningful discussion, but rather assert your [ignorant] superiority upon others.

lol that's like an oxymoron right.

Well contrary to your belief a few days ago I went to my local Game Store and the owner was telling me about this new video he watched from my life in gaming. He was telling me (if I remember correctly) how the video explains that 4K TV's output at the correct resolution ratio to display the older systems that display in 240 and 480 properly. He was saying using a FM or OSSC device on a 4K TV yielded desired results over say a display that was 1080. Obviously either choice still sucks when comparing to a CRT as light guns will not work and you get input lag.

At any rate I watched that video and seeing as how it was talking about the FM and OSSC I thought it was relative to the discussion everyone else was arguing over, so I decided to post it and give my opinion on the two based off what that video showed. I did not start this discussion on FM VS OSSC in case you forgot, which seems to be the case with you. I do like how you watched the EXACT video a week before I posted it and you can remember the exact spot in the video that compared an image between the FM and OSSC, yet your memory is fuzzy on the portion of the video that sticks out the most. That being the FM displaying a pink screen glitch.

I watched the video a week ago. Sorry if every little detail of every video I watch isn't always fresh in my head 110% of the time.

To me it has been pretty clear you were never looking to have any form of meaningful discussion, but rather assert your [ignorant] superiority upon others. Denouncing me as a supposed Framemeister fanboy emphasizes that further, when the reality is I have never once said it would be the first choice I would recommend. All I am doing in this thread is throwing out the facts and letting people think for themselves, but it seems like some here are fairly incapable of actually doing that.

Time to tap out, man. Facts will only matter if they fit nicely in the narrative.

I do like how you watched the EXACT video a week before I posted it and you can remember the exact spot in the video that compared an image between the FM and OSSC, yet your memory is fuzzy on the portion of the video that sticks out the most. That being the FM displaying a pink screen glitch.

The previous part of your response was good and it's exactly what you could have written instead of, "lol, wut, pink, durrr". The part I quoted there though is outright trolling. Get over yourself, dude.

Time to tap out, man. Facts will only matter if they fit nicely in the narrative.

I think you're right. I'm out.

The previous part of your response was good and it's exactly what you could have written instead of, "lol, wut, pink, durrr". The part I quoted there though is outright trolling. Get over yourself, dude.

You are the one calling me ignorant every other post so whatever man. My attitude directly reflects yours.

Another nice feature of the XRGB Mini that the OSSC can't do, is PAL to NTSC conversion. It's a niche requirement in classic gaming, but there are lots of nice PAL exclusives in certain genres.

Over RGB it doesn't matter PAL vs NTSC (color info is not encoded) or are you saying the OSSC does not support 50Hz?

EDIT: found my own answer

https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/convert-50hz-rgb-pal-to-60hz-for-display-on-ntsc-hdmi-tv-using-ossc/

BTW I discovered that that Vizio TV I am so fond of actually supports 1080p50 ... so when I do play PAL consoles that's the mode I use (same TV does not support 720p50 though) and I can't really say if the TV does a good job of framerate conversion or if the panel supports it natively, but it works well enough as far as I can tell.

I am not sure which TV brands and models have support for the 720p50 and/or 1080p50 (or even the 2180p50 for 4K lovers) as those may be able to work just fine with the OSSC.

The support for 50Hz would also be useful for 50/60Hz modded consoles (I have a Jag and a MD2 like that: the Jag so that I can actually NOT suck at Trevor McFur [the game is meh either way mind you], and the MD so that I can play Xenon2 [there are better versions I know I own a PAL CD32]), their signal over RGB is the same PAL/NTSC just at 50Hz/60Hz but obviously over SVideo/Composite you'd get a non-existing NTSC50 (as opposed to the de-facto std PAL60 if the console starts life as a PAL variant).

It's my understanding that OSSC can't convert 50hz to 60hz. North American HDTV's almost to a tee lack PAL support.

The XRGB Mini on the other hand can do a task like this. Granted it's not going to be perfect since such a frame rate conversion can't possibly be, but it seems to do a solid job at it with a minimum of screen tearing and stuttering.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

It's my understanding that OSSC can't convert 50hz to 60hz. North American HDTV's almost to a tee lack PAL support.

The XRGB Mini on the other hand can do a task like this. Granted it's not going to be perfect since such a frame rate conversion can't possibly be, but it seems to do a solid job at it with a minimum of screen tearing and stuttering.

Actually it's worth checking if your TV supports 720p50 or 1080p50 or 2180p50 as you may be pleasantly surprised (like I was).

I presume the OSSC would keep a 50Hz signal at 50Hz on the HDMI side and if the TV does accept even just one of the above modes it may work albeit cutting/letterboxing as PAL is not only 50Hz but also 288p instead of 240p (or 576i instead of 480i if you prefer) and that means that at 3x @720p is a little too much (240x3=720 but 288x3=864) while at 4x @1080p is not too bad (288x4=1152).

Given even on CRTs there was a "huge" area left to compensate for the CRT over/under-scanning I don't think it would be that bad.

• Like 1