IGNORED

RGB, SCART, Component, Composite- Understanding failed Misuse of Terms.

I agree, unless the video part of A/V is implicit for composite video. When it comes to RF, I would include terms such as antenna. I know I'm into deep water if I add words like "coax" as that would rather describe the type of cable material and/or connector than the type of signal transmitted through the cable.

I blame stuff like this from the original NES manual. To be fair, back then there was only one type of cable for separate audio and video that consumers were likely to use, so calling it "composite" wasn't very natural. (I don't call power cables by whatever the technical name is.) Even some modern TV manufacturers still call them "AV cables" in their user manuals (although the Vizio one I found makes sure to say "also known as composite.")

post-64192-0-66027800-1533754981.png

Edited by deepthaw

Most display standards are going to be audio-video, technically. There are a few standards like VGA which are just video, but nevertheless, A/V could be used to describe a lot of things. It reminds me of how any video game used to be a "Nintendo" while the NES was popular.

https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCART-Component-Converter-Genesis/dp/B004XSSDPO

Somebody asked about my experience with the SCART to component converter I bought on eBay, so here it is. Its quality is largely dependent on the television set you use. It won't work AT ALL on any TV that doesn't output in 240p, and you're not guaranteed great results from the ones that do. The output on my Samsung 2333HD was horrendous; arguably worse than on S-video. However, I tried it on a large screen Panasonic and THAT looked nice, with crisp pixels and bright colors.

Using this reminds me of what I hate about these converters. There's a huge rat's nest of wires coming to and from the device, including both the component and audio cables, along with a power supply that gobbles up one of the ports on your power strip. It's inconvenient to say the least, and I'm pretty sure you have to put up with the same thing from more expensive solutions, like the OSSC and Framemeister.

Also, while my converter had audio ports already soldered into it, the majority of these don't. If you don't have an SCART audio splitter, you won't be getting sound out of one of these. It's something to keep in mind.

I'm going to update the firmware on my Samsung and see if it improves the picture at all. It's a hail mary move but if it DOES work, I won't have to connect the converter to the gigantic set in the living room.

• Like 2

Let me know what happens. I can't guarantee it, but you should get a quality picture out of a CRT as long as it's compatible.

Well I must say I am pretty pleased with it! Ran the SCART cable from the supergun to the converter, ran a component cable from the converter to my 20 inch Sony Wega...voila. Very sharp picture, no interference, and the colors seem right on to me (one thing that was constantly mentioned in those Amazon reviews was it needing color pot adjustment, I'm leaving mine as is)

I wish it had audio RCA INs and OUTs (to make a nice look for the AV outs on the back of the supergun case I'm building), and it is "always on" once plugged in, but these are very negligible complaints. The main job, turning SCART into component, it does very well.

• Like 1

Personnally, for a good source of SCART cables - not male-to-male but male to "what I need to solder on" I get RGB SCART Gamecube or Playstation cables (they are usually 2/3€ a pop) and cut the Nintendo/Sony end.

It's not quality but it's cheap, and less hassle than soldering a SCART connector, then the wire, then the other tip.

I may just take you up on this... thanks! Working on getting an SCART monitor from Mercari but if that falls through, it would be nice to have other options. You wouldn't happen to know the model, would you?

I think it is a JVC. Pretty nice one if I recall.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually referred to AV as composite myself, but technically AV would stand for audio video so it would really apply to any cables that carry those signals. I think we should all get in the habit of not using terms like AV or RGB alone when referring to cables.

Did you ever get to modify one of your Sony CRTs to add a Scart/RGB option?

If so how did it turn out? Was it painful process or not?

Did you ever get to modify one of your Sony CRTs to add a Scart/RGB option?

If so how did it turn out? Was it painful process or not?

I started looking into it and was chatting w/someone on the CRT Collective about it. I just have way too many projects I'm doing right now before I can get to this. Then I have to decide if I want to start the TV, do the Conion boombox, recap 5 game gears, or other stuff.

I'll let you know when I get to it, prolly will not be for awhile though. Plus I am working on designing a jag pcb in eagle. Priorities lol.

• 4 months later...

There’s a new firmware out now for the Framemeister that offers vertical scan lines as well as LCD filters!!! Oh man, I’ve been waiting for this. you need to grab the firmware from the new Micomsoft site - http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/new/xrgb-mini.html

Use Chrome’s translate option to navigate the page if you can’t read it. It does a good enough job. There are Japanese and English versions available.

For best results please watch this video in 4K or at the very least 720p.