Odroid-go

phoenixdownita

The emulator supports (updates in blue)

Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Gear
Nintendo Entertainment System
Sega Master System

Sega SG-1000 (requires FW 20180727 and go-play.fw to match ... add file extension .sms to sg-1000 games in sms rom folder)

ColecoVision (requires FW 20180727 and go-play.fw to match, requires BIOS file)

https://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G152875062626

201806120632198417.jpg

It runs on an ESP32 at max 240Mhz, so I don't expect even to be at RPi3 level, but still it could be fun to assemble, mess around with the Arduino IDE or just play it.

What do you think?

• Like 1

I thought I saw some reviews saying performance wasn't great, but I can't find anything critical now so I might have been thinking about something else.

Price is right, and no soldering is a major plus. I might have to get one.

Edit: I remember now. I searched YouTube and found this half-watched review. Looks like I quit right at 2:36, exactly the point where he says it doesn't play GBA games. :lol:

OK found time to assemble the thing.

I got a unit which came with fw 20180702 (Jul 02) that is the last stable release.

The good: it works

The not-so-good: emulation was so-so (nes 1942 had gfx glitches for example and I could see slow-down here and there and the screen scrolling was "weird" as if you can see it redraw)

The ugly: I botched the FW update as I thought you had to go serial with the FW, wasted 45mins and then just tried the latest firmware (which changes the procedure by the way ... aaargghh) and took me another 10mins to figure out where to put the actual emu pack as that is no longer part of the upfront flash procedure (there's a small note in a post in the forum ... sigh).

Anyhow updated to fw 20180727 and go-play.fw pack 20180726, this fixes the NES issue, many slowdowns seems gone and because they swapped the SMS emu they got CV support as well AND (not sure they know as they don't talk about it) if you suffix your SG1000 games to .sms they work too (with weird palette like a real SMS). The CV requires a BIOS to work (another 5 minutes lost in figuring out wtf it hanged).

Judgement: call me impressed given the type or processor it has I was expecting much worse, I don't think it'll ever move out of the 8bit emu realm but so what!

BONUS: you can program thins thing as an Arduino and control speaker, led, display via Arduino IDE, gosh it's on BT so you can even control it via a phone app ... and it seems it supports micropython ... it's really cool for what it is.

Should you drop any other other portable emu you have for this one?

No, I believe a PSP runs circles around this thing, but for what it is is very nice, the screen is good, the speaker a little too loud even at minimum setting (no wonder on the website Hardkernel teaches how to replace the resistors to make it quieter).

I am happy with my purchase but they need to ship it with the new FW as the procedure to update the emulators is all driven via SD, even if in the last month alone they changed the FW many times and 3 times already the change required to flash the thing with their tools (they are not bad per se but not exactly user friendly and given the instructions are for the last stable release it's a little too hard for the uninitiated, but there's a forum that somewhat tells you what to do).

Also pay attention when assembling it, apparently it is very easy to crack the display, and I thought it should have been easier to latch the LCD flat cable to the motherboard, the speaker cable also has some placement issue (it's too long).

DO I LIKE IT? HELL YES.

WOULD YOU LIKE IT? ONLY IF YOU CARE TO TINKER A LITTLE (it's a solderless DIY kit for crying out loud)

• Like 1

New all-in-one base fw:

https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/odroid-go-firmware/releases/tag/20180806-factory

(literally one file odroid-go.img at 0x00, with 80Mhz flashing speed)

Guess they are trying to streamline their processes.

Once you flash this firmware (20180806) you'll be asked to reflash the go-play.fw .... I can't tell what changed aside the date but I like it that they are trying to make it easier (a single file beats the initial 6 and then 3 as of late).

I just saw this on a random Youtube video not too long ago... Damn I want one, but I'm assuming it just came out recently and they're all dried up and gone for the moment. :lol:

I bought it here:

https://ameridroid.com/products/odroid-go-game-kit

They say they expect a shipment in late September.

The sound support need some work (it's not terrible mind you), but the package is rather nice in the end (for ~40US$ shipped). Also the scaling should have kept the ratio instead of filling the screen which does stretch the image a little horizontally for the NES (one can disable scaling individually per emulator though), the rest seems to be better off (especially GG/GB/GBC).

Now if only they would add A26 emulation (I'd be fine if it uses the same old version of Stella like the RetroN77 and improves later on) .... they should also fix the palette for SMS games that run in 9928 compat mode to actually use the 9928 palette (all of the SG1000 as well as the MSX ports) ... the emulator knows how to do it as it does it already for Coleco emulation (and it will only impact negatively I think 1 SMS game that used that mode "natively" F-16 Fighting Falcon [it could be fixed via CRC check like they did for Coleco emulation and keypad start key mapping], the full list of such games including Korean ports is here http://www.smspower.org/Tags/LegacyVideo but excluding MSX late hacks http://www.smspower.org/forums/16445-MSXToSMSHacks )

• Like 1

These groups really need to work on getting SDL2 on these devices, so they can start using a newer version of Stella (other than the 6+ year old obsolete version that everyone seems to be using). It will only take one group of people to do it, but it seems nobody is willing to put in the time to research it. I've already created a starting point here, for anyone that is interested.

• 1 month later...

These groups really need to work on getting SDL2 on these devices, so they can start using a newer version of Stella (other than the 6+ year old obsolete version that everyone seems to be using). It will only take one group of people to do it, but it seems nobody is willing to put in the time to research it. I've already created a starting point here, for anyone that is interested.

For the Odroid-Go I am afraid they are playing a different game, there's no GPU per see afaik but I have not looked it up to be frank:

https://media.swymhome.com/parts/241/files/262/Technical%20Datasheet%20%28%20Register%20Descriptions%20%29.pdf?t=1497464360

My guess is that the LCD is SPI ... yeah:

https://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G153177634219

the display is connected via SPI.