IGNORED

Doom for PC and console

Anyone like the classic first person shooter, Doom?

I remember my brother and I getting the first episode on diskette when the game first hit shelves years ago. Shooting demons, imps, sergeants, etc. with a shotgun, pistol, Gatling gun and so on - that was quite a thrill.

I managed to get a copy of the PS1 edition of Doom for cheap at a Gamestop; the PS1 port has Doom 1 and 2 as well as extra levels. It is quite a rush to play this and get surprised by the imps chucking fireballs at you; those guys sneak up on you.

Love doom. It's one of my favorites and I got it for most everything it was available on. Many consoles are hit and miss, by psx it really got good. My favorite from back then was the jaguar, being the smoothest playing, though it's missing bits of levels and the in-game music. My overall favorite was gba, especially being portable.

• Like 1

Doom is definitely one of my Top 5 all time favorite video games, ever since I was a kid and tried the DOS shareware version back in 1994 or 1995 (and quickly convinced my parents to buy me the full version while my dad was shopping for a new business laptop at Best Buy). Since then I've played every version of this revolutionary classic I could get my hands on and loved every one of them, even the SNES and 32X versions.

Of the official physical releases my two favorites are Doom for the original PlayStation and Doom (as well as Doom II) for the Game Boy Advance. The PlayStation version has some really neat dynamic lighting effects as well as a few exclusive secret levels and a creepy ambient soundtrack, and the Game Boy Advance games are just shockingly good ports based on the Jaguar version.

Most of the time when I want to play the original PC DOS Doom games these days though I reach for my Wii Classic Controller. If you have an original Wii soft modded with Homebrew Channel you can install Chocolate Doom, which emulates DOS flawlessly and allows you to run Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom with the added benefit of Classic Controller support for modern twin analog stick controls. You will need a Classic Controller to play though, it doesn't support any other control options, but for me Chocolate Doom makes the Wii the best way to enjoy all the classic Doom games. :)

What you said there to start is about the same here (and same for old Wolfenstein 3D too.) Ended up picking up a shareware floppy in the day and going from there. Thankfully didn't have repressed parents who got stupid about stuff knowing that I knew the difference between reality and entertainment or a game like Doom may have been quesitonable and Wolf3D for sure a couple years before that.

I'm rare, I never liked custom WADs much. I tried quite a few, the rare selection I did think find eventually much ended up in that Final Doom package. I put so much time it and the sequel, yet I still don't remember so much and enjoy it a lot when I do fire it up still. I ermember back in the mid 90s I picked up even the SNES copy for laughs second hand and it was a mix of great and bad (great with the maps there, bad with no battery and 1/8 monster angles.) When the GBA popped up I was blown away seeing it on there, rushed out to grab that and the sequel too when they arrived. I never got around to any other versions much other than source ports but a year ago if that I did (like you) find the PS1 version and it's really fantastic.

I've played a lot of FPS games over the years, and honestly fairly burned out on much of it. But even after so many Doom(1 and 2) ranks right in there within the very top of the list, perhaps the top being fair to hours and years off and on put towards it.

Not sure if anyone here would bother with it on the GBA of all things, but a little curiosity about the game and sequel. Doom is the Jag maps but slightly cleaned up a few things, it runs very nicely. The amazing one is Doom 2, no source port, they contracted a far more competent company and the ported over the entire PC game, maps and all. In the end one map was slightly more than the limited memory of the GBA could handle so they diced it into 2 stages but it still flows well how that was done. Probably outside of a source port the best version of the Doom 2 release off PC.

• Like 1

I'm rare, I never liked custom WADs much. I tried quite a few, the rare selection I did think find eventually much ended up in that Final Doom package.

It sounds like you're talking about WADs from over 20 years ago. Have you bothered to check out anything more recent? Things have gotten pretty crazy in recent times.

Examples:

post-24675-0-71119700-1532913629_thumb.jpg

post-24675-0-49949600-1532913630_thumb.jpg

post-24675-0-08615700-1532913631.jpg

• Like 3

It sounds like you're talking about WADs from over 20 years ago. Have you bothered to check out anything more recent? Things have gotten pretty crazy in recent times.

Hell, have you even seen Brutal Doom?? :-o

Doom came and conquered, of course, and rightly so, but for me it was Wolfenstein 3D which had a bit more impact in general, what with being my first real FPS. I had to convince my friend's gf, who owned a 286, that it's a good idea to install the thing and let me take over her PC. It was also the sad moment when I understood the glory days of Amiga are over...

Doom came and conquered, of course, and rightly so, but for me it was Wolfenstein 3D which had a bit more impact in general, what with being my first real FPS. I had to convince my friend's gf, who owned a 286, that it's a good idea to install the thing and let me take over her PC. It was also the sad moment when I understood the glory days of Amiga are over...

Yes. For some it Wolfenstein 3D, others Doom. The transcendental and wow effects were about the same. It all came down to a matter what you saw first, what you had access to first.

An important part of Doom and Doom II were the add-on levels - wads, and some TC packs. When you finished the game there was more to discover. And you never knew what you might find on the still operational BBSes of the day. T'was part of the adventure and appeal. A favorite TC of mine was the AlienDoom or AliensDoom. For weeks I couldn't get enough of it!

In regards to the Amiga. Doom was a highly welcome relief, a game changer, and like I said it converted me to PC gaming. A relief because I had been banging my head against trying so damned hard to get into Amiga gaming - and it just wasn't clicking. For better or worse I gave up on Amiga around that time. Seeing a basic CirrusLogic 5422 (low-end) chip outdo the Amiga. Game over man!

Doom (and Wolfenstein 3D) RULED back in the day! I remember installing the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D on the 386 machines in our school's computer lab in secret so we could play it during class. :lol:

Doom though... Doom was AWESOME. That was a game-changer. I first had the shareware version, passed on from a buddy. After completing that, I picked up some combo pack that had Doom, Doom II, and a disc with a ton of new maps on it which kept me busy for a while.

I recently played through the first episode of Doom via Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil's bonus content on the Xbox. It's still a ton of fun!

Austin: You got it, WADs of the 90s. I just got nothing out of it. I know there are things around Doom Legacy and friends with total conversions, updates, both 2D or 2D/3D mixed that as you showed can get crazy. If I just played Doom and little to nothing else still I'd probably be all over that but I was speaking of then not now. When I want a Doom fix today I fire up Legacy on the PC or my GBA versions (or PS1.)

Like youxia for me Wolf3D did it for the wow factor first. Always been fascinated with history and earlier on with old civs and WW2, so the chance to wreck Nazi's hours on end like that was rewarding fun. Doom really upped its game, and if anything one freaking reason alone being the map, made the game better for forgotten and first time gaming not going in circles. Wolf3D lacked a lot of detail mixed with that, it got frustrating and stale at times, but the detailing and oomph added to Doom was nuts.

Yes, I played the hell out of Doom for months when it came out on PC, including multiplayer with my next door neighbor with my 14.4k baud modem, and the "Alien Doom" wad.

I never played the console ports except the SNES port via emulation.