IGNORED

80s video effects?

evilmoo

That is definitely not done with any Atari hardware. This was VERY costly professional broadcast studio equipment that could do these tricks.

Great song though....always thought Laura Branigan was the original performer....but these guys wrote it but couldn't launch it the States for some reason...

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

You could maybe do some / very little of them on the PC with some free software but the pro stuff would cost a packet and need lots of electronics around it..

No way the Atari could handle that..

I know what you mean but a hell of a lot of the plasma type stuff is very heavy duty to calc and unless I'm wrong then very little of it is real time in the first place, mostly pre calced..

I don't even think the Atari could buffer a frame of that let alone a capture, even shrinking the res and the colours would be a huge ask I reckon..

They tried stuff like that on the Video Toaster on the Amiga but it was more for wipes etc and that sort of stuff was too much for it..

• Like 2

They tried stuff like that on the Video Toaster on the Amiga but it was more for wipes etc and that sort of stuff was too much for it..

You could do much more than wipes with the Toaster, saying that for some the 3d stuff with Lightwave you would have needed a decent processor or more likely offloaded the rendering.

I think OP may be thinking of Atari Video (the device):

Atari Video WAS used in some video clip of a band but I forgot which one...

and of course there was the utterly brilliant Colour Space by our Llama friend Jef Minter, which made EXCELLENT use of the A8 colour palette....

....I was absolutely fascinated by this program and loved making all kinds of patterns to my favorite music :)

Later there was an ST version too....Trip-a-Tron, a light synthesizer....

But none of these actually captured real video and processed it....the processing power simply lacked.....it would have taken days to render a single screen....probably longer...

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

in the op's video keep in mind its not just an effect, its layers and layers of effects using both analog and digital trickery and rendered in post over several sessions

its not like today, and even today its not like today is imagined, its still piles and piles of layers done in post

example

the effects are more complicated thanks to much more efficient means, meaning you can have more stuff crammed in to a time - money budget but realistically the process of effects from jason and the argonauts to starwars 9 has not changed a lot

• Like 2

I didn't think the full thing was done with the Atari, but some of the really simple stuff looks like Gr.9-11 pixels to me. Like the pixels going on behind the hands clapping at the very beginning, for example. Maybe it's wishful thinking or I'm imagining things.

Edited by evilmoo