IGNORED

First character weirdness? C64 display issue

tuf

The first character on each line is having issues - sort of like static in the signal :) I made a video just b/c I had a hard time thinking how to explain it. This is visible in any app or right at the basic prompt. Seems to be heat related in that it takes a minute or two to really get cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7k4kMEy9s8

Anyone provide any insight?

Edited by tuf

I'd say put a (better) heat sink on your VIC-II chip. The location regularity of the issue coincides with what the VIC-II is doing internally, and it might be failing. Removing more heat could let it stay in a better-functioning state. Stick your finger on it while it's running and see if it's significantly hotter than expected.

You might want to swap with a known-working VIC-II as well. I don't think this is indicative of something else killing the chip, but proceed a your own risk as always. icon_wink.gif

How does the error line up with smooth scrolling? POKE 53270, 8 through 15 in order to manually slide things around at the BASIC prompt without reducing to 38-column mode.

Edited by White Flame
  • Like 1