IGNORED

what if Sega made a SEGA CD plug and play?

coleco82

I am talking about a emulated sega cd plug and play.

the market would be really tiny but it seems neat.

It would have

Sonic CD

FInal Fight CD

Both Lunar Games

Snatcher

Rise of the Dragon

Willy Beamish

WWF Rage in the Cage

Night Trap

Eternal Champions CD

Megarace

Star Wars Rebel Assault

Shining Fore CD

Mortal Kombat CD

NBA Jam CD

cant think of others.

thoughts, comments, ?

• 3 weeks later...

Most of those games the OP mentioned are licensed or third party. I'd love a plug and play (or better yet, a solid state solution for real hardware), but it would likely have to be primarily SEGA IP unless licensing deals were set up, and I think it'd be too niche for anyone to bother. I mean, a plug and play with Sonic CD, Wild Woody, ECCO, Eternal Champions and, I dunno... Wirehead? Eh.

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 1

In theory, if Sega did this, and it ran their own (or borrowed like I care) ISOs of their back library on a condensed unit of the quality level of the SNES Classic Edition I'd actually buy it. So little I've touched and I know there were some genuinely great games there, that I know I'd get some real distance out of it. I don't have any ISOs here or ease of access due to ISOzone kicking the bucket, so even if an emulator ran it, it just wouldn't be as nice on PC (for me.) At a Nintendo level (sub $100) price point I'm there, if that existed, given licensing worked out to get the real notables.

I agree with BassGuitari, it would make sense to lump genesis, 32x, and sega cd into 1 emulation device.

You would theoretically get the best of everything if people wanted to ignore licensing issues and sneak some "arrgh me mateys" onto the system anyways.

I would buy such a plug and play device if it existed.

Heck, if there was a 3DO, or Playstation 1, or Sega Saturn, or Dreamcast, or Gamecube plug and play, I would buy those as well.

I wish sega themselves would handle the emulation work of their flashback systems, instead of having crapgames do it.

• Like 1

If you paid close enough attention 'crapgames' (atgames) actually is doing the sega emulation without that lousy firecore atrocity anymore on the console side, sadly not handheld yet, but other than some people disliking how the menu works in the initial release from last year it's not bad.

I would buy one of these if I saw one for sale just to play shining force and popful Mail.

Same here! As far as I am aware, the Shining Force series has only appeared in one Genesis collection, and Popful Mail has never been included. For those of us who never had a Genesis (and/or Sega CD), there are limited opportunities to enjoy these games. Licensing may be a significant issue, however.

Have any PnP game systems included RPGs? (other than the NES Classic Mini which includes Star Tropics, Final Fantasy, and the Zelda games).

I think a Sega Genesis CD and/or a Sega Genesis 32x FB unit would be awesome. Hell, how about a compilation disc for the Sega CD and/or 32x instead of trotting out another Genesis compilation like Sega just did? Shoot, even that would generate some interest I would think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If they did 95% of what you listed wont be on there due to licensing issues.

That's like expecting WWF No Mercy or WCW Revenge or Golden Eye to be on the N64 Classic, it just wont be done or else Royal Rumble or Super Wrestlemania would have been on the SNES Classic.

• Like 1