IGNORED

My review of Joust for the 7800 - No surprise; I die a lot.

gorfcadet

OMG, I was laughing so hard when you sped the video and kept adding your lost "lives."

Thanks. Glad my suckage brought you joy. :) To be honest, before I started prepping for this review, I wasn't even sure you could kill the pterodactyl on the 7800 version. After attempt twenty, I was starting to wonder.

Thanks. Glad my suckage brought you joy. :) To be honest, before I started prepping for this review, I wasn't even sure you could kill the pterodactyl on the 7800 version. After attempt twenty, I was starting to wonder.

It can be done. I’ve managed it a handful of times over the years by mostly pure dumb luck. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I was hoping that by practicing during the filming I would get good at it or at least see where you need to line up or the timing needed to kill the pterodactyl, but even slowmo on the film I have a really hard time seeing the difference in some of my fails vs successes. I'm not sure if it matters how open his mouth is or if its only lance placement. If its based on his mouths openness, that is bad because on the 78 his animation is super quick and would be hard to predict with regularity.

As I recall, you have to hit the pterry even with his upper beak while his mouth is closed. As you said that isn't easy to predict but I'm pretty confident this is how it is done. How did you capture this if I may ask?

• Like 1

As I recall, you have to hit the pterry even with his upper beak while his mouth is closed. As you said that isn't easy to predict but I'm pretty confident this is how it is done. How did you capture this if I may ask?

This one was done through emulation. However soon I hope to have a RetroTink 2X. (Ordered in on the next wave.) Then I plan on using real hardware via s-video/composite for Atari, Genesis/32XCD, Saturn, Dreamcast and Jaguar. The RetroTink is a line doubler that shoots HDMI out at very low latency, so its a real affordable alternative to the Framemeister. If I do NES, I'll use my RetroAVS.

I just spent the last day and what is left of my back (*ow... back pain) hooking up my office to record just about everything I have as soon as the Tink comes in.

My Robotron video was shot using an old Diamond capture card with S-Video.

Let me know what you think of the Retrotink when you get it and have had a chance to mess with it. From what I've seen it still has about 3 - 4 fps of lag based on most tests...so it isn't completely lag free. I get about 4 - 6fps with the s-video to HDMI converter I use now so I hadn't really given the retrotink much of a look. It does appear to offer scanlines if you want and also formats the aspect ratio correctly. So if your TV doesn't support aspect correct changes (via the WIDE settings) like mine does, then that is a good way to get these old games back into 4:3 properly.

If the retrotink was truly lag free I would look into it more as it would completely replace out the old monoprice converter I bought like 6 years ago or something now.

• Like 1

Oh, no worries. I have never been able to kill the damn ptero! It felt like I was looking at myself play! LOL

• Like 1

Hope everyone is well. I experimented while recording to see just how bad I was at killing the pterodactyl. Spoiler. I'm really bad at it.

Just watched & subscribed..Rly like your review style

I love Joust, but in my 30 or so years playing it, never once killed the Pterodactyl nor even tried haha Going to have to try & change that soon

The 7800 just doesn't get much love on Youtube, would love to see some more in the future too!

Edited by Stevaside
  • Like 1

Just watched & subscribed..Rly like your review style

I love Joust, but in my 30 or so years playing it, never once killed the Pterodactyl nor even tried haha Going to have to try & change that soon

The 7800 just doesn't get much love on Youtube, would love to see some more in the future too!

Thanks! I plan on going through the entire 7800 library over time including the homebrews in the AA store. Trying to finish up my buyer's guide aimed at folks new to the hobby via Retron 77 purchase or first time real Atari owners that goes through the 82 catalogue. Right now I'm not so patiently waiting for my 3 hour playthrough of Super Monaco GP to upload; want to cap footage for my next review, but I'm afraid to flake out my computer this far into the upload process.

Anyone here have a preference?

Karateka?

Fight Night?

Commando?

Something else?

• Like 1

Thanks! I plan on going through the entire 7800 library over time including the homebrews in the AA store. Trying to finish up my buyer's guide aimed at folks new to the hobby via Retron 77 purchase or first time real Atari owners that goes through the 82 catalogue. Right now I'm not so patiently waiting for my 3 hour playthrough of Super Monaco GP to upload; want to cap footage for my next review, but I'm afraid to flake out my computer this far into the upload process.

Anyone here have a preference?

Karateka?

Fight Night?

Commando?

Something else?

Out of all those, Fight Night for sure, because I've always seen people say how horrible & unplayable it was, but just a few days ago stumbled on to a YT video of someone playing it & beating it pretty quickly. So I was just thinking of giving that game another chance. Actually think I only tried it once after I picked it up years ago & it's been sitting on the shelf ever since lol

• Like 1