IGNORED

Has anyone ever finished a SID hardware project for the Atari?

Larry

I can remember a number of these projects with anywhere from one to five! SID chips in them. But beyond the hardware, it would seem that software would add another large impediment. So I don't recall any of them being finished. (?)

-Larry

I don't think anything went into mass production. *

Fairly sure candle did one that had the proper clocking so would sound the same. Unsure if it had the appropriate filtering.

Playback software could likely be converted from C64 fairly easily. Composition software not quite so easy.

A shortage of SID chips is a real problem. But modern day remakes and emulation is fairly accurate but filters probably somewhat not so.

* - for the Atari, that is. And with the shortage, demand for SIDs for other projects contributes. e.g. Stereo SID for C64, addon boards for other computers such as Plus/4 and standalone projects that in some cases might use 4 chips.

Edited by Rybags

I remember Candle talking about it, but don't recall anything past planning. I also seem to remember some discussion about some Sids available in Poland. The SwinSid replacements (and maybe others by now) would seem to provide plenty of resources, although not cheaply. Wish it had happened, although modern PC Sid emulation is quite good to my ears.

I dont like also SID. Pokey is pretty cool soundchip.Future will be 4x pokey or 4x pokey in fpga.YM/AY is good as it is in Atari ST.Also FM like opl or ym2151... They was in Atari arcade machines. Well for future is more lucrative maybe DSP!!! Sound + 3D calculations. Like on Falcon. Modern DSPs are cheap. So I can imagine cheap cartridge with DSP for 3D math or real time synth calculations and then replay it throught Pokey or Covox... Sort of AceTracker2 synth...

IMO if we're going beyond 2 Pokeys then it becomes a CPU hog. A better solution IMO would be to draw the line there and just have future developments along the lines of twin Pokey plus a better Covox with onboard Ram and automated DMA playback. And/or emulating better chips like the afformentioned late 80s Yamaha synths.

• Like 3

Why would we want to insert an inferior sound chip when POKEY is standard ?

What's next, Spectrum beeping ? (O wait, Atari has that already too....GTIA sound !)

Of course, that's your opinion -- and mine is quite different. But this isn't another "mine is better" thread. It's a question about the status of something that quite a few folks have tried to do.

• Like 3

Do you have a link or any info to track this down?

Of course, but unfortunatelly all of them are in Polish only.

Evie made by Pasiu is described on Atariki page: http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/Evie. It provides emulated YM2149, SID chip, two POKEYs, GTIA buzzer and standard 4-channel COVOX.

SONari made by T0ri is accessible on his page: http://raven1.magix.net/sonari/sonari.html

In addition T0ri made prototype of YAMari sound card that provides OPL2 YMF262 chip: http://raven1.magix.net/yamari/yamari.html

Other implementations of SID sound card for 8-bit Atari you can found at:

- SlightSID made by Seban: http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/Slight_SID

- SIDari made by T0ri: http://raven1.magix.net/sidari/sidari.html(Matej linked it already)

You can found some informations about almost all of them in Atariki.

Edited by mono
  • Like 1

Here's what I found...

Slight SID Project Description

Slight2.jpg

Note: I believe a Player was made for this as well

A post announcing the manufacturing files to be ready.

SlightSID files for manufacturing ...

2014-07-07 16:43:54 (LINK)

The Slight-SID at this moment is not an open-hardware project. The final version will be available in a few weeks.

This is final version of the project:

The proto PCB of a new hardware version

post-42561-0-67438300-1533334158.jpg

The last update I was able to find from the creator - seban.

2016-08-14 21:07:35 (LINK)

Hi!

The electronics are ready and waiting for the mechanics, i.e. the housing and milling holes for the audio jacks. I do not have a headache now. I hope that 2016 will succeed.

• Like 1

Why would we want to insert an inferior sound chip when POKEY is standard ?

What's next, Spectrum beeping ? (O wait, Atari has that already too....GTIA sound !)

Different, yes. But inferior ? I think that's going a bit too far.

I think both have their strong and weak points.