IGNORED

Are you capable of doing it yourself?

Omega-TI

Can you do my yourself?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. If someone handed you an original TI 5.25 diskette, could your read it yourself?

• YES - Piece of cake, instantly.
    • YES - But I would have to go through a convoluted process.
    • NOPE - All of my gear is too modern.
    • OTHER - (Spill yer guts below)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

As times march on and storage methods have improved, so have the storage methods of TI'ers. Over the years many have abandoned the old 5.25" SSSD 90K disk drives and have gone on to 'greener pastures', but even so, have you retained the capability of reading one of the old drives? If someone gave you one today, could you get the data to your current method of storage by yourself?

Why are we actually doing public polls all the time? I'm not really a friend of public polls in general. If anyone prefers to make his opinion public, there is plenty of space in the thread.

We had anonymous polls earlier, and some time ago I voted in some poll that turned out to be public which I noticed too late. Since then I generally abstain from these public polls.

• Like 1

Yup! I have TI (both 80 track, but no longer used), Myarc (two 80 track and Corcomp (40 track w/Corcomp & Myarc EPROMS) FDC cards. Traded away a BwG 40 track FDC a short time ago, but I still have hundreds of 5.25" & 3.5" diskettes on hand. Still have one Myarc HFDC, 3 x WHT SCSI HD Contoller cards, and still hope one IDE HD Controller card will be returned some day. Add one CF7A+ and three NanoPEB side cars to the mix. Just consider all the CF cards, in addition to MFM ( a couple of 60MB & 45MB drives) , SCSI (5 x hard drives and many cartridges for one EZ130MB & two EZFlyer230MB drives, 5 or 6 IDE hard drives, as I also have CF adapters for the SCSI and IDE controllers. Almost forgot the two Myarc WDS-100 systems. Unfortunately, no MFM to CF or SD adapters. I've only been collecting TI & Geneve stuff since Christmas 1982. Only travel to far away places and a few prolonged illness have kept me away from my hobby. Still having fun, at a much slower pace, since turning 77 earlier this year.

• Like 6

Wow FDOS, you've got a ton of gear to make it all easy. I'm envious. I have to go through all kinds of contortions to copy an original 90K disk...

First, I have to plug in my backup box that has an original 5.25 drive and then attach my external 3.5 on the back of the FDC as DSK3.

Then I copy the contents from DSK1 (the 5.25) over to the 3.5" drive. After that I have to unplug all that stuff, then re-hookup my main P-Box, and attach the external back up. Once that is done I can copy from the 3.5 to the SD card.

I didn't think this one rose to the level of requiring secrecy. In the future I'll take your advice and give more weight to the whole secret squirrel stuff.

It's not so much a question of secrecy or privacy for its own sake, but I believe that poll results have a higher value when they cannot be associated to some specific person. We know each other quite well, and everyone has some real or ascribed attitudes, so you may tend to put some bias on those voting results.

Some of my colleagues use an electronic voting system in their courses in order to motivate students to express their thoughts; it is anonymous so that no one needs to be afraid to be questioned for some particularly chosen option.

I voted "piece of cake" - at least I think I can!

I have a Corcomp 9900 micro-expansion and I also have Chinon 360K DSDD drives with the 36 pin ribbon connectors on the back. I assume if I connected one to the other, the result would let me read a 90K TI disk. I havn't tested it though.

I usually use a 3.5in drive with the TI. I have a handful of 5.25 TI disks in the diskbox but I moved most stuff to 3.5 inch a long time back.

Edited by oracle_jedi
  • Like 1

I'm one of those who haven't upgraded my TI to things like CF card storage or other such stuff. It's pretty much in the 1980's still. So yes, I can read TI disks, up to DSDD (360 kBytes).

I recently got a backup system, which has hard drive controller cards, RAMdisks and such stuff, but it's only the RAMdisks I've tried to get back to life.

I'm one of those who haven't upgraded my TI to things like CF card storage or other such stuff. It's pretty much in the 1980's still. So yes, I can read TI disks, up to DSDD (360 kBytes).

I recently got a backup system, which has hard drive controller cards, RAMdisks and such stuff, but it's only the RAMdisks I've tried to get back to life.

Expanding my TI has been an adventure and an end in itself. I never did the HD thing though as it was always so expensive, not just for the card (if you could find one), but in the HD itself or the additional conversion hardware to enable you to use a CF card. You may find it easier to sell that old card to a collector and use the entire proceeds to buy a TIPI and RPi which will do what the HD would do, plus more.