IGNORED

Millionaire - our new game for the ABBUC Software Contest

pseudografx

Let me present you a new game by MPG Productions (that is me and MaPa), that we submitted to this year's ABBUC Software Contest.

The game is heavily inspired by the TV Show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire", including gameplay, visuals and audio.

post-6830-0-05066200-1533091991.png

There are two question sets to choose from - English (400 questions) and German (547 questions). We cannot release the game before the voting is over, which should be some time in November, so just be patient :)

post-6830-0-39212700-1533092152.png

Requirements: Atari 800 series computer with 48KB RAM, PAL or NTSC.

Credits:

Code: MaPa

Graphics, music and English question set: PG

German question set: CharlieChaplin

Video of the gameplay:

Edited by pseudografx
  • Like 36

Well done.

Suggestion - we have in Aus (not sure if anywhere else) the "Hot Seat" edition of the show now. It's got rule and format changes to speed up the gameplay.

One improvement is a time limit for questions. I think it's like 30 seconds for < $10,000 questions then a minute for the ones higher than that.

Some more info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire_Hot_Seat

• Like 2

Very nice sound and visuals !

The issue with games like these are nation-related questions....would be cool if you could add your own sets....and I'd like to see some count down timer...that can't be too hard ?

Oh and "Your winning" should be "You're winning".

I tried to avoid "national" questions in the question set, and if there are any, they should be quite well-known worldwide. Anyway, being able to add your own questions is the plan for the next version (the current one is "hardcoded" for English and German). Also, the font includes chars for various languages, including German, Czech or Slovak. Polish language is being implemented and there can also be Russian and more. We will consider adding a timer mode.

I used "winning" as a noun there but of course I may be wrong in its use.

• Like 2

Hehe, the same in german...

wrong: Deiner Gewinn, correct: Dein Gewinn

But hey, I could not write a single word in czech language...

Dein, deines, deinem, deiner.... Bad memories from high school. The horror, the horror...

;)

Natural languages were not my thing (German and French). Except for English I guess.

• Haha 1

I try to remember german language by reading news in german, but it's much easier for me as a pole to learn russian language, many similarities, german is hard although I learn it in school and in the university for 6 years :)

Edited by gorgh
  • Like 1

Very nicely done!

Und natürlich ist deutsch eine schwere Sprache: Fischers Fritze fischt frische Fische. Softwarewettbewerbsabzeichengewinner. Achtbitschbuspräsentation, Tzatzikirühreibrötchen, Quietscheentchen, ...

Maybe I should make a game with a German word and 4 possible meanings :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It will be possible to create custom question sets in the updated version, which will be released past the announcement of the ABBUC SW Contest results. Including support for additional languages such as Polish, Czech, Slovak, Spanish, maybe also Russian if there will be interest. (Actually, some of these languages are already implemented or being worked on.)

I know this game was made for entertainment, but it could be used for educational purposes as well, kind of like a flashcard deck, by allowing user-created question sets.

Legitimate purposes ONLY, NO FAKE NEWS! This stuff MUST be verified, vetted by history and PROVEN beyond a SHADOW of a DOUBT to be TRUE!

We MUST preserve the integrity of the game at ALL costs. Truth MUST be preserved and archived.

:)

No CIA Mind Control allowed here!

Edit: Of course it could be used for Educational purposes. Just make SURE you TELL THE TRUTH!

WWG1WGA

Edited by Kyle22
  • Haha 1