IGNORED

RetroN 77 Community Build Image

remowilliams

It is because people want a system that is FPGA or has the latest version of Stella. Unfortunately, what many don't seem to want to acknowledge is that these solutions are far too expensive for the mass market right now. If a system were made that satisfied the core users of Atati Age, it would be awesome, but the sales would be very limited.

By all accounts, the R77--not unlike the much bashed Flashbacks--has sold extremely well. As an Atari fan, I am thankful for these consoles as they perpetuate and expand the Atari userbase and maintain awareness of the 2600.

Now if we can get a version that plays 7800 games as well, I'm all in.

Funny you should say that. I'm actually more of a 7800 guy. I'm in the process of getting my 7800 titles on the 2600 so I can play on the retron 77. I have had two crt tvs go and I have had enough. I get people want perfect but as you said that would be expensive. In my eyes the retron 77 is close enough for the price.

• Like 2

Funny you should say that. I'm actually more of a 7800 guy. I'm in the process of getting my 7800 titles on the 2600 so I can play on the retron 77. I have had two crt tvs go and I have had enough. I get people want perfect but as you said that would be expensive. In my eyes the retron 77 is close enough for the price.

The retron can't play 7800. Or have i missed something?

• Like 1

I see a few people saying they should do this and that, so why don't they do it themselves?

I think the r77 is a great device for what it is, made better with the community build. It is not perfect, but no mid to low price range device is.

Does anyone know if there is a HDMI mod for the original system that could be done? that would allow for full compatibility.

Edit: Just googled saw some types and ways to get something like that to work.

I really don't understand the hate for the retron 77. I recently got one and like it so far. Granted, my library is small but it plays all my games.

It is because people want a system that is FPGA or has the latest version of Stella. Unfortunately, what many don't seem to want to acknowledge is that these solutions are far too expensive for the mass market right now. If a system were made that satisfied the core users of Atati Age, it would be awesome, but the sales would be very limited.

By all accounts, the R77--not unlike the much bashed Flashbacks--has sold extremely well. As an Atari fan, I am thankful for these consoles as they perpetuate and expand the Atari userbase and maintain awareness of the 2600.

Now if we can get a version that plays 7800 games as well, I'm all in.

X2! The Retron77 is a pretty awesome Atari system and I'm happy to support it with fun games and development tools including a new BASIC!

http://relationalframework.com/Atari2600gamesonline.htm

I'm under contract with Hyperkin, but I'm not biased; I support all Atari consoles - classic through the current crop of Emu based systems.

I find it interesting that Defender III and SuperCharger Space Invaders (bundled with the Retron77) will not work on the Flashback 9 (need patching, any info from the Stellarators?)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284357-atari-flashback-9-firmware-for-adding-games-to-sd-card/?p=4160314

It's great to have classic consoles for full compatibility and exploring how far the obscure but powerful chip architecture can be pushed, and it's pretty cool the emulated consoles can play most of the classic games - these are real consoles people can use unlike the vaporware AtariBox and the Atari-Swatch; I don't get the issue with the swatch, all they had to do was put an AOC or emu in here:

post-30777-0-44479500-1542823397.jpg > post-30777-0-11157000-1542823375.jpg

I really don't understand the hate for the retron 77. I recently got one and like it so far. Granted, my library is small but it plays all my games.

Some of us have expansive libraries, including homebrew. I can assure you, many back-in-the-day games, as well as modern games, do not run on it. Period. Additionally some games that may run from ROM do not run from cart. So by playing obscure or sophisticated games on it is a bit like a race car with square wheels. You'll go nowhere fast... :roll:

It doesn't what I mean I am getting the 2600 versions of 7800 games.

But...

Those are 2600 games, not 7800 games.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

Some of us have expansive libraries, including homebrew. I can assure you, many back-in-the-day games, as well as modern games, do not run on it. Period. Additionally some games that may run from ROM do not run from cart. So by playing obscure or sophisticated games on it is a bit like a race car with square wheels. You'll go nowhere fast...

Pretend you're playing the cartridge by plugging it in half-way, and run the ROM.

• Like 3

I've been having fun with my Retron 77 so far! The video looks great and it's playing most of my old cartridges and I like the joystick. I hope Hyperkin will sell it separately.

Is there a online comparability list of what the Retron 77 can and can't play? (cartridges, roms with the regular firmware and the community build) Thanks!!

Edited by WildBillTX

I'm leaning on buying this system and of course doing the stella upgrade w/ roms image.

I do like this unit closer than the Retropie just for the Atari foundation. Joystick will use my own arcade style

I already have a Retropie with a 128gb image that plays all the consoles works great.

I have a few questions that i may have missed: what size SD card would be sufficient 2gb /4gb to load roms into and would 7800 roms work ? best place to get roms for all my carts that i owen

After reading this topic the AA community has done great work to make this system much better, my donations are on the way !

Thanks to all !

Edited by laz455

Here's a nice holiday update treat for RetroN 77 users thanks to stephena - you can now play some of the latest homebrew games (roms) :D

• Full CDF support: Mappy, Scramble and Super Cobra now work
  • Full CTY support: Chetiry now works with full sound; mainline Stella users have to wait until version 6.0 for this, so R77 users are actually getting it a little early :)
  • Updated DPC and DPC+ schemes, fixing bugs in sound processing
  • Added latest ROM properties database, fixing 'Street Racer' and 'Video Olympics' 4-player paddle issues.

Remember Stella is DonationWare, so if you'd like to say thanks - https://stella-emu.github.io/donations.html ;)

Community Build Image download link has been updated in first post.

---

From the changelog:

20181120-1353CB (release build)

• Fix compilation under Hyperkin build environment (stephena)
  • Updates to DPC scheme (stephena)
  • Added latest ROM properties (stephena)
  • Added 'CDF' support (stephena)
  • Updated CTY BS scheme to latest version (stephena)
  • First attempt to backport relevant BS schemes to R77 branch (stephena)

- There are 8 new BS schemes since version 3.9.3 has been released

- CDF is probably the most wanted, but I will consider the others as time permits

• Added screenshots for: Chetiry, Scramble, Super Cobra, Draconian (draconian_20171013_RC6), Mappy (mappy_20180606_NTSC), Arkyology (1983) (Sparrow) (Prototype) [fixed] X
  • Like 17

Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Donate to Stella for Stephen’s work “he didn’t have to do”!

As we told Hyperkin over and over, current Stella software is free for use even in a selling product as long as the simple terms of use are followed, which is simply “any changes to Stella source code must be publicly available”. (If you want precisely instead if simply, pay a lawyer then still donate to Stella”.)

Thank You Stephen!! I was getting frustrated at games not working and hoping someone would upgrade Stella! But I wish I could go into the options menu to change the size of the launcher menu (its a little too wide for my TV) and set game properties for A/B switches and stereo sound.

Edited by WildBillTX

Amazing! Do they also dump from cart or just SD card?

Also I was wondering if there was a sum that could make the Stella people fix the retro to the newest Stella? It's not ideal and hyperkin is going to steal it, but I'd love to donate to people who deserve it.

No idea how much time this needs, but if let's say 1k would be enough we might make it with a go fund me.

I can say with definite certainty that the ARM-based games (CDF/DPC+/etc) such as Draconian, Scramble, Super Cobra Arcade, Mappy, etc, will never work from cart on this device. Just because of the way the dumper works, and the fact that the cart reader can't even see all the 'ROM' behind the port. It's hard enough to get a reliable cart reader when all that's there is 6507 code; it's impossible for ARM-based ROMs that have a completely alien mapping behind the scenes. So these games will be ROM/SDcard only.

Thanks for the words of support and any donations that anyone may give. (Shameless plug) I'm planning to build a new HEDT development system in 2019, so I'd appreciate any donations that I receive. ;-)

• Like 9

Remember Stella is DonationWare, so if you'd like to say thanks - https://stella-emu.github.io/donations.html ;)

Clicking that link gives an error:

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 8.13.18 PM.png

Because it seems like it is actually taking you to: https://stella-emu.github.io/donations.html%C2%A0

Instead of:

https://stella-emu.github.io/donations.html

Not sure how that happened... but fixed : )

Yay! Also, thanks for the donation link! I'm not sure why I missed that before. Also, thanks for the updates! Installing it now on my '77. You know, with as much crap as people are giving this system I'll tell you the one thing that it can do that I haven't found that any other system can do... It's by far the BEST for capturing HD footage of Paddle games. Example:

https://www.facebook.com/AtariAge/videos/332094644250663/

And yes, I do need better paddles! :)

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Like the new community build! :)

Defender III and SuperCharger Space Invaders work on the first power up but tend to come up scrambled on subsequent loads using the builds ability to go back to the menu without powering down.

I will be posting hotfixes for these games on this thread, the Flashback 9 is affected more severely and cannot play the originals at all:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/285423-atari-flashback-9-rom-patches/?do=findComment&comment=4168393

I'm leaning on buying this system and of course doing the stella upgrade w/ roms image.

I do like this unit closer than the Retropie just for the Atari foundation. Joystick will use my own arcade style

I already have a Retropie with a 128gb image that plays all the consoles works great.

I have a few questions that i may have missed: what size SD card would be sufficient 2gb /4gb to load roms into and would 7800 roms work ? best place to get roms for all my carts that i owen

After reading this topic the AA community has done great work to make this system much better, my donations are on the way !

Thanks to all !

I'm using a Sandisk 2gb card I had from an old phone, it works fine with it. 7800 roms dont work, I wish someone would modify or code a 7800 emulator for it.

Edited by WildBillTX

Hi jumping into this late. Great that those new homebrews work. 2 questions:

1. Is there still an 18 Rom limit?

2. Did they start shipping with a better joystick?

Thanks....

The AA Community build image boots the R77 into Stella and all its' glory; folders usable, no ROM limits, etc. Major thanks to Stephena for the recent update!