IGNORED

RetroN 77 Community Build Image

remowilliams

2. Did they start shipping with a better joystick?

But should I wait until they fix the crap joystick?

With decent 2600 compatible Joysticks being a dime a dozen, why is this even a dealbreaker for buying the system? My Retron 77 Joystick is still in the box! I never even bothered taking it out...

• Like 3

With decent 2600 compatible Joysticks being a dime a dozen, why is this even a dealbreaker for buying the system? My Retron 77 Joystick is still in the box! I never even bothered taking it out...

It is really nice all around EXCEPT it is fragile? Thats my reason. I would buy them as extra sticks due to comfort, long cord, right or left hand use...

It is really nice all around EXCEPT it is fragile? Thats my reason. I would buy them as extra sticks due to comfort, long cord, right or left hand use...

I thought that was just the earlier revision of the system, and they've fixed that with the latest release hardware. Maybe not though? Mine seems fine.

Also, thanks so much for the continued support Remo! Can't wait to install this update. :)

Awesome... Since I may not use the cartridge slot much, and the reviews seem to say it's decent otherwise, I'm considering buying... But should I wait until they fix the crap joystick?

If the new ones still have the bad stick that would be sad because they found out about the problem quick.

I would not wait.

If the stick breaks, have them send a replacement, then replace the brittle plastic of the broken one with the classic plastic (just a little plastic to file or trim) and have 2 nice working joysticks with long cords.

Breaking it you will hear a crack/snap, and it may continue to operate okay, but unlike the old ones that even broken kept working, these will eventually crack completely off where it touches the direction buttons inside.

This is fantastic! I sign your praises, I will be sending a donation.

The update with its support of 4 player paddle games is a dream come true, many many thanks.

I'm going to now point out an anomaly, I am not trying to be cruel, I just want to point this out. There is no point spending time trying to fix these anomalies, never the less they exist,

4 player modes work great on the ROM versions:

- Video Olympics

- Street Racer

- Breakout

Unfortunately, even with the new update, the above mention games in physical cartridge form will not support 4 player mode on the Retron77.

The ROMS work perfectly, so in all practicality there really is no issue here, but I just wanted to mention this odd behavior.

Again this update is fantastic and I really appreciate the all the effort that went into it.

Here's a nice holiday update treat for RetroN 77 users thanks to stephena - you can now play some of the latest homebrew games (roms) :D

• Full CDF support: Mappy, Scramble and Super Cobra now work
  • Full CTY support: Chetiry now works with full sound; mainline Stella users have to wait until version 6.0 for this, so R77 users are actually getting it a little early :)
  • Updated DPC and DPC+ schemes, fixing bugs in sound processing
  • Added latest ROM properties database, fixing 'Street Racer' and 'Video Olympics' 4-player paddle issues.

Remember Stella is DonationWare, so if you'd like to say thanks - https://stella-emu.github.io/donations.html ;)

Community Build Image download link has been updated in first post.

---

From the changelog:

20181120-1353CB (release build)

• Fix compilation under Hyperkin build environment (stephena)
  • Updates to DPC scheme (stephena)
  • Added latest ROM properties (stephena)
  • Added 'CDF' support (stephena)
  • Updated CTY BS scheme to latest version (stephena)
  • First attempt to backport relevant BS schemes to R77 branch (stephena)

- There are 8 new BS schemes since version 3.9.3 has been released

- CDF is probably the most wanted, but I will consider the others as time permits

• Added screenshots for: Chetiry, Scramble, Super Cobra, Draconian (draconian_20171013_RC6), Mappy (mappy_20180606_NTSC), Arkyology (1983) (Sparrow) (Prototype) [fixed] X

• Like 1

This is fantastic! I sign your praises, I will be sending a donation.

Thanks for the support.

Unfortunately, even with the new update, the above mention games in physical cartridge form will not support 4 player mode on the Retron77.

Stella works by looking at the checksum (technically the md5sum) of the ROM to determine what settings to use. The only way that the ROMs could differ from a real cart is (a) the real cart actually has different data than the ROM, or (b) the cart dumper is somehow modifying the image as it is being dumped. As I'm only really working on the Stella part and not the cart dumper stuff, I don't think I can fix that.

Maybe you can somehow list the carts you have (specific label, model no, etc), and someone can determine whether this cart actually has a valid dumped ROM.

If I pick one up, which I'm leaning to now, I doubt I'll use their joystick either. I like my Wico's. Are there any known issues with using them on a 77 or are all joysticks pretty much supported as is?

Any of you using Elgato be aware mine flaked out the sound on the Retron and I had to complete disconnect it from the Elgato to get sound back. Not sure why. It's an HD60 model.

I also have an HD60 and I cannot get sound out of my Retron 77 to the capture device no matter what I do.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who actually likes the pack in R77 joystick? Hasn't broken yet, but fear it may yet I do like the feel of it.

I haven't had a chance to try them out. Do they feel like Flashback joysticks, CX40s, or their own unique type?

I wonder if adding microswitches would be possible...

I haven't had a chance to try them out. Do they feel like Flashback joysticks, CX40s, or their own unique type?

I wonder if adding microswitches would be possible...

They have their own unique feel which I find quite comfortable. And as far as the microswitches go that is what R77 joysticks use.

Edited by Obadiah64
  • Like 1

I have an HD60S + Framemeister and the audio with the Retron 77 has definitely been giving me trouble each time I power it on (reset to menu is fine). I haven't narrowed down completely what is causing the audio issue yet but unplugging and plugging back in the power (USB cable) to the HD60S has worked at least one of the times. If I figure out a reliable fix/workaround/cause I'll post it here. :-)

I also have an HD60 and I cannot get sound out of my Retron 77 to the capture device no matter what I do.

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 2

Please pardon my ignorance...

First, THANK YOU for making the build better!

Now, for my questions.

Do install the updated Stella first, then use another SD card for the ROMs? Or can I do that all at once?

I also have a Mac, but have access to a PC.

Is there an "Explain Like I'm Five" process to updating the R77 post somewhere?

(I may be 45 but am clueless at this stuff. I tried modding my Wii 10 years ago & ended up erasing the hard drive on my Mac. :( )

• Like 2

Please pardon my ignorance...

First, THANK YOU for making the build better!

Now, for my questions.

Do install the updated Stella first, then use another SD card for the ROMs? Or can I do that all at once?

I also have a Mac, but have access to a PC.

Is there an "Explain Like I'm Five" process to updating the R77 post somewhere?

(I may be 45 but am clueless at this stuff. I tried modding my Wii 10 years ago & ended up erasing the hard drive on my Mac. :( )

I'm on a mac as well. You just do what I did in the video and load up your roms on your Windows based computer when you're done.

• Like 3

The AA Community build image boots the R77 into Stella and all its' glory; folders usable, no ROM limits, etc.

I've got a Junior, a 6-switch Telegames, an A/V modded Vader, and an A/V modded 7800 sitting here in my living room. I have a Harmony Encore and am probably getting a 2600 UNO from a friend soon. I *REALLY* don't need another console to play 2600 games. I passed on the Retron77 initially but this newest Community Build Image makes it very, very tempting now. I might just have to break down and buy one in the new year after all.

Edited by SS
  • Like 4

Agreed. The Flashback joysticks, while usable, are little too 'loose' for my tastes. The R77 joysticks have a nice feel to them.

It might be a good idea to clarify and distinguish between versions of Flashback joysticks. Such as those that were packed in with the *good* Flashbacks - the ones Curt designed [Flashback 2 & 2+] and sold by "Atari" = versus the ones made by AtGames [everything thereafter the 2+]...

Having stated that and cast shade in the direction of AtGames, in my most Trumpian voice, I must say "I hear good things" about AtGames' built Flashback Paddles...

Edited by Lynxpro

Agreed. The Flashback joysticks, while usable, are little too 'loose' for my tastes. The R77 joysticks have a nice feel to them.

It might be a good idea to clarify and distinguish between versions of Flashback joysticks. Such as those that were packed in with the *good* Flashbacks - the ones Curt designed [Flashback 2 & 2+] and sold by "Atari" = versus the ones made by AtGames [everything thereafter the 2+]...

Having stated that and cast shade in the direction of AtGames, in my most Trumpian voice, I must say "I hear good things" about AtGames' built Flashback Paddles...

I was referring to the included Joysticks with the FB8 Gold Activision Edition and the FB9 Gold Edition. Looking forward to trying out the wireless paddles!