IGNORED

RetroN 77 Community Build Image

remowilliams

Good work.

And awesome news about Stella 6 support.

I may actually use this device!

(Still LOVE Hyperkin’s “Trooper” joysticks. Bought 4 of those.)

At first, seeing lots of CPU used for such an old system just seems “wrong”.

But emulation of Atari 2600 has always been CPU heavy because of how the original generates things in real time.

I’m just glad the community knows RetroN77 can run all old and modern games, and is working to make that happen — along with the support for 2600-daptor-II’s and such that we spent a fair amount on in order use the proper authentic classic controller hardware.

• Like 1

When will Stella 6 be released for retron 77?

It's getting closer, but as DirtyHairy said, we have no specified time. My biggest problem (other than working two jobs ATM) was getting a development environment set up, to be able to SSH into the device and work as if it were a normal Linux machine. Making changes one by one, compiling locally, manually copying them to the SDcard, manually inserting the card into the R77, powering up and testing, etc, gets old REAL FAST. Once I got networking access working (thanks DirtyHairy!), I was able to accomplish more in one day than in the previous 3 weeks combined.

• Like 7

Once I got networking access working (thanks DirtyHairy!), I was able to accomplish more in one day than in the previous 3 weeks combined.

I would like to add a big "thank you" to Fluxit; his discovery of the connected micro USB port was the key to getting a network connection to the device. Without it, no development from my side would have been done anytime soon ;)

• Like 5

You take all the time you need. Having Stella 6 running on R77 will be worth the wait.

Agreed! And I'm so incredibly grateful that modern Stella support is coming. Thanks again to all the very talented folks for making this a reality.

I can wait, be sure to get all the bugs worked out! :)

Stephena, fluxit, And dirtyhairy thanks for your work.

I haven’t gone through this entire thread but I have two questions:

1) anyone else actively contributing to getting Stella 6 up and running on Retron77?

2) I see how to donate to Stephena. Is there any way to donate to the others I mentioned?

• Like 1

I'm afraid this is not how software development works ;) There is no software without bugs.

Yes, my tongue was firmly in cheek when I said that, Software without bugs is an "impossibility"! I know that, fortunately because you're doing it for the love of the work and the community, and not like the makers of the Retron 77, for profit, that you've no need to rush the work to an imaginary deadline. We can wait, and I'm super-excited to see the usability and the functionality of the Retron will be properly utilitized with your latest work. I am in awe of folks who push the limits, shatter artificial limitations imposed, either by greed or design, as the makers of the Retron were too lazy to make a honed and proper product to begin with.

I'll support your work with a generous donation, of course!

• 2 weeks later...

Does this mean that TV effects (s-video, composite, etc) could be enabled in Stella on the Retron77? That would make the graphics soooo much better!

Yes :)

Yowza.. didn't realize this. Guess I should pick up an R77?? The TV Effects are one of the big draws of Stella to me.. I mean who didn't lower the brightness, then jack up the contrast & color sat on their CRT so that Space War could look like it was in "space" instead of a golf course? :lol: Granted you don't get the same actual glow in Stella, but it's relatively close.

It's the difference between this and this. Say what you will but I'd take the 2nd any day. :P

post-31-0-88702200-1555696022_thumb.jpg post-31-0-60865200-1555696016_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That's entirely up to you.  Many people keep the original card with its software unmodified as a way to easily restore the system to its 'stock' condition.

There's no technical reason why you can't write the new firmware to your original card.  That's what I've done.

Edited by fluxit

• 4 weeks later...

If you're asking about the Stella 6 firmware, then there's no limit to the number of ROMs.  It has the same interface as Stella, so it contains a list view of the ROMs.  You can separate into directories for better organization, or have it in one big list.  I've test 3000+ ROMs in Stella on Linux/Windows/etc.  I guess the only real limitation is if the SD card supports a certain number of files in a directory.  From the POV of Stella, there is no limit.

• 4 weeks later...

AtariAge Group Image on the RetroN77 ?

Is there a file hack that lets you control the menu selection using Player2 (right joystick) port ?

The menu selection currently can only be used using Player 1(left joystick).  I’d like to use Player2(Right Joystick)... or either(Both Ports).

Maybe there’s a setup file that can be edited ?

• 1 month later...

Got my R77 up and running last night. Thanks to everyone that's making this happen!!

The only two roms I've found that don't seem to work are for the latest demo for Galaga and also Wizard of Wor Arcade. They work great on my Harmony so I assume it's compatibility with this version of Stella specifically?