IGNORED

RetroN 77 Community Build Image

remowilliams

7 hours ago, Lord Helmet said:

Got my R77 up and running last night. Thanks to everyone that's making this happen!!

The only two roms I've found that don't seem to work are for the latest demo for Galaga and also Wizard of Wor Arcade. They work great on my Harmony so I assume it's compatibility with this version of Stella specifically?

The CDFJ scheme is supported on the R77 and should be autodetected, although I haven't checked right now. Are you 100% positive that you used the beta2 image?

Edited by DirtyHairy

The CDFJ scheme is supported on the R77 and should be autodetected, although I haven't checked right now. Are you 100% positive that you used the beta2 image?

I’ll post the ones I tried when I get home this evening. I tried both of the Gala roms from the development thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lord Helmet said:

I’ll post the ones I tried when I get home this evening. I tried both of the Gala roms from the development thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok here are the roms i'm having trouble getting to run. Thanks for the help!

galaga_demo_NTSC.bin galaga_dmo_v2_NTSC.bin wowarc_20190812_demo_NTSC.bin

• 2 months later...

So, I cannot get this to work at all.  any help would be appreciated.  I am trying to use a 4gb MiniSD.  I used Win32DiskImager to write the image.  It does show files on the card after.  I put the card in and nothing happens.  It's as if there is no card in the system at all.  I formatted the drive in FAT, FAT32, NTSC, and ExFAT.  No difference.  Could it be the size of the SD Card?  Some kind of setting on the Win32DiskImager?  I am at a loss.  Thanks in advance for any help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 3:43 PM, Robert E. Arber said:

So, I cannot get this to work at all.  any help would be appreciated.  I am trying to use a 4gb MiniSD.  I used Win32DiskImager to write the image.  It does show files on the card after.  I put the card in and nothing happens.  It's as if there is no card in the system at all.  I formatted the drive in FAT, FAT32, NTSC, and ExFAT.  No difference.  Could it be the size of the SD Card?  Some kind of setting on the Win32DiskImager?  I am at a loss.  Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm using the Beta2, and ApplePi-Baker on OSX, and it works well. Many people have had success with Etcher (https://www.balena.io/etcher/). I also just tried Etcher since I was curious about it, and it couldn't have been easier. Download Beta2: https://github.com/DirtyHairy/r77-firmware-ng/releases/tag/release-6.1-beta2 (choose sdcard.img.zip). Then unzip to get sdcard.img.

Download and run Etcher.

1) Pick your .img file

2) Pick your destination (micro SD card)

3) Flash it

Also - writing an ISO to a microSD card overwrites everything... so you don't need to format beforehand, and if you do, it will have no bearing.

Edited by neobium

When I downloaded the original Community build from the OP, I found a number of homebrews in the main /games folder. Are there places I can link to to recommend these games to people? I've searched around, and it seems a bit random.

Amoeba Jump can be grabbed from the following forum post, but is that really the proper, official download page for it?

Robot City is downloadable here (https://hackaday.io/project/19219-robot-city-atari-2600-game) but is that the proper canonical link to use?

Thomas's Star Castle Arcade seems to have its final version downloadable on the following forum post, but is that the official place to link?

It seems to be a random hodge-podge of sources. Is there a master list of links somewhere? Has anyone created a single-go-to place where each of these games has its own page and download?

This has been tried for a while, but due to the sheer amount of games, WIPs, hacks etc. people have given up. You could do a selection of the better ones and leave out quite a lot of crap, but then you risk being attacked for elitism or have to discuss why a certain game is within or not within the selection. No one wants that. So it is either all or nothing.

Arenafoot maintains an online list of all homebrews, but there is no central download area.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

I bought a special USB adapter to be able to plug my keyboard into the 77, and I was planning to go into Options mode to tweak some things, like the theme. The keyboard is working, and I can nav the UI with the arrow keys/Enter... but TAB does not get me into Options mode.

Anyone have a tip on this?

• 3 weeks later...

Another question for anyone using this: I am unable to get screenshots that look correct. Images come out with incorrect colors, or with items missing. I tried in desktop Stella on OSX, and the screenshotting works as expected. I tried turning off TV Mode on the 77 Stella, since it's off in the desktop one, and I thought that might cause problems... but it didn't change anything.

All of the above is when I use a cartridge. I did try using a ROM from the download on page one of this thread (Asteroids), and that at least got all of the items in the shot, but they are dark. See the last attached image for that.

What am I missing?

rom_5.png

rom_6.png

Maze Craze (1980) (Atari).png

Space Invaders (1980) (Atari)_2.png

Asteroids (1981) (Atari) [no copyright]_18.png

• 1 month later...

So I followed the instructions and everything seemed to work but I think I might be missing something. Are the roms included with the SD card image? Is there any way to add more? 

Also, seems like I need to keep the SD card with the image inserted at all times. Is that correct? 

Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else already. 

• 2 weeks later...