IGNORED

RetroN 77 Community Build Image

remowilliams

• 3 weeks later...

I have a FAT32 card cleanly formatted using the same FAT32 formatter I use for my Raspberry Pi. I downloaded the sdcard.img file from the link on this page: https://github.com/DirtyHairy/r77-firmware-ng/releases/tag/stella-6.1.1

I used Win32DiskImager to write the image to the SD card. I inserted the card into the RetroN77 and got a black screen. I left it alone just in case it was doing something.

After about 5 minutes of this I turned the system off thinking whatever was going to happen happened and inserted a Stella's Stocking cartridge I have here into the system. Nothing happened. I tried it 4 times and it acted like the system couldn't read it. I got blank screen, blank screen, blank screen with "Atari screeching" and blank screen. My Harmony cart won't load either. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I just tried it again with balena Etcher. Same results.

Edited by ClassicGMR

Did you have a working Retron77 before attempting the upgrade?

There's nothing magic about the cart dumper.  If you don't get Stella's launcher without a cart in the slot, a cart is not going to work.

Harmony isn't compatible with the R77.  It doesn't 'run' the Harmony, it just tries to dump it as though it was a regular cart.  You have to put your games on the SD card once you get your firmware working.

If I were you, I would try another SD card if available, or writing the image using a different computer if available.

Quick question then. Where do I place the game files? There's no obvious directory. I'll give it a shot after that.

Yeah maybe my 77 doesn't work. (?) I have tried 3 cards on 2 different computers and every boot goes to a black screen.

I didn't know about the Harmony cart not working so thank you for that info. :)

Edited by ClassicGMR

It's a Nintendo Switch HDMI cable. I can try another one but Nintendo cables are usually excellent and I use it every day. I didn't want to disconnect a cable to connect this one until I got it all working.

Looks like I'll have to contact the seller. Thanks for the help. :)

EDIT: Got it. Apparently I have to have an existing /games directory or it won't boot. I just added one for the hell of it and threw Asteroids into it and the system booted right into Stella. That would be a helpful thing to add to some documentation somewhere. :)

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 1

I'm glad you got it working.  Yeah, I've just been upgrading my Stella as opposed to rewriting my image, and wouldn't have thought of booting without that directory.  If you'd tried a supported cart(I'm not sure about Stella's Stocking) it might have actually worked without a games directory.  I'll have to try renaming my games directory and seeing what happens here.

Edited by fluxit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, fluxit said:

There shouldn't be.  If the Retron boots without a cart, your cart slot is in working order, the slot and cart are clean enough, and the cart is supported by the dumper it should just work.

Ok thanks. I was testing with Pitfall II and homebrew Galagon.  Are those by chance not supported?

• 1 month later...

I couldn't found any Info about what is included when I order a Retron 77, so here's my first question:

Is a Micro SD Card included?

2nd Question:

Is the Image from Post #1 in this Thread still up to date, or is there a newer one?

Looks like, the first post was never updatet. Just to make sure I have the best and newest Stella Version.

Thanks in advance!

A Micro SD is included, because the console needs it to load its operating system and emulator.

Meanwhile the R77 version has been updated to be in sync with the usual Stella release which you can find on the Stella download website.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got my Retron today. Was only able to get the Micro Card out with a Tool, normal manly Human Hands are kinda too big.

I used balenaEtcher on my Windows PC to burn the image, without any problems!

After that, the Win Explorer wasn't able to read the Card, I had to dismount it. After that, it was done with

reading after 2 seconds. All good.

I made a Folder called "games" and put my bins in.

The Retron started with the known Stella Menu without any Snapshots (not found). I tested some games. All looks fine and the Sound

is also normal. 

I read more than once, that the Fry Button is now working to go back to Stella Menu, but the Fry Button does nothing, I have to turn

my Retron 77 off and on again.