IGNORED

RetroN 77 Community Build Image

remowilliams

That is perfect. I was searching for that, but did not notice this information. Just hope it will support my Atari Blaze joystick cause it has problem with the newer Linux kernels. I either did not find the info about someone using some USB joystick with Retron 77.

I'm not sure what's going on with analog joystick support in v6.2.1.  By default the joystick has a huge deadzone set-14,500 IIRC.  With the thumbstick on my Wii U Pro controller, this barely works at all in menus.  If I pull the stick down in the launcher for a few seconds, sometimes the selection highlight will begin to move suddenly and rapidly after doing nothing.  Sometimes double-tapping a direction will illicit a response.  After setting the deadzone to the minimum, the thumbstick works much as it did in 6.1.2, but it seems as though the 'repeat delay' is too short, much shorter than I see with a front port digital joystick.  I've not tried an intermediate deadzone value to see if that would give me a longer delay in the launcher, as in releases <6.2.1, the defaults seemed to work well for almost any controller(all but 1, a very old flightstick) that I tested with.

The response when in game on 6.2.1 is completely different from the Stella menus with the default settings and seems to work fine with the thumbstick, which is even stranger to me.

In 6.1.2, using either my thumbstick or a front port Atari joystick felt about the same as each other so far as the response in the launcher and Stella dialogs was concerned.  It just worked and felt good, with no settings massaging required.

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

This might be a result of  trying to suppress paddle input in the UI. 

I suppose we need a stick like yours to test it. Can you provide some details? 

Getting analog UI input right for analog controllers seems a bit like rocket science.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

19 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

This might be a result of  trying to suppress paddle input in the UI. 

From the symptoms, that's what I suspected as well.

19 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I suppose we need a stick like yours to test it. Can you provide some details? 

After testing many devices both wireless and wired, mostly to satisfy my curiosity- the controllers that I decided were the best choice on the R77 when I don't want the 'authentic' Atari controller experience are the "NEXiLUX Wireless 3 Pro Controller Gamepad for Nintendo Wii U" connected to a "Wireless Wii U Pro Controller Adapter for PC USB" by Mayflash. 

A nice(and unique so far as I've been able to tell) feature of the dongle is that it can actually support 4 gamepads simultaneously on a single dongle when in dinput mode(which the R77's kernel requires anyway.)

21 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Getting analog UI input right for analog controllers seems a bit like rocket science.

It's definitely not a trivial issue, particularly if you are trying to support more than one type of device.

I just checked what would be required just to properly center the old flightstick that I mentioned, using evdev-joystick on my PC.  Apparently the reason it doesn't work properly with the R77 unlike almost every other controller that I tried is that the pot values it provides are in the range of "-32767 to 0" unlike modern usb devices like the gamepads over dongle which do "-32767 to 32767," with 0 being center.  So far as I can tell after some web searching, I have to run evtest against the flightstick and note about 17 different values and then arrange for them to be fed to evdev-joystick in order to properly calibrate center for SDL2.  I don't have the mental energy for that right now.

That said, If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

12 hours ago, fluxit said:

Apparently the reason it doesn't work properly with the R77 unlike almost every other controller that I tried is that the pot values it provides are in the range of "-32767 to 0"

Ah, that may explain it. That's really very unusual. But you should at least be able to use one direction, no?

The result with the game "One on One," was that my character headed for the upper left corner of the basketball court and stayed there unless I held the joystick full down-left, in which case the character would travel to the right(only.)

This flightstick was purchased during the period of time when as a PC user you might have been asked "why did you get the USB version?"  I got it during a closeout sale.  It's an actual USB 1.0 device so far as I can tell.  The bottom says that it's an Orion 90, which seems to have been made by Qtronix.  The gameport version was called the Orion 90V Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently purchased a Retron 77 and upgraded it to Stella 6.2.1.  Once I loaded the games, I tried out the joysticks and they work great.  Then I went to the paddle games and plugged them into the front of the Retron 77 and they did not respond with the exception of the fire button on the left paddle.  I went to the settings menu and it is set to auto-detect the controller.  I looked to see it recognized the controllers plugged in were the paddles and not joysticks, but I can't seem to get them to work.  Is there anyone who can help me get this to work?  Should they work plugging them into the front, or do I need to buy a powered USB cable and plug them in through the 2600-daptor?  Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!

Edited by atarifan88

17 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Paddle games should work using the normal ports. 

Thomas, I have an original set of Atari paddles and a new set made by At Games. Both work on my original Atari 2600 so I know it's not the paddles. Is there any advice you can give me to get these to work (ie settings in Stella)?

On 7/11/2020 at 3:41 AM, atarifan88 said:

Thomas, I have an original set of Atari paddles and a new set made by At Games. Both work on my original Atari 2600 so I know it's not the paddles. Is there any advice you can give me to get these to work (ie settings in Stella)?

The original 2600 didn't care if you had paddles plugged in or not as it didn't 'detect paddles', it just used them, though some games which support other control methods try to detect if paddles are plugged in.

The Retron on the other hand, wont use(present to the game as) paddles unless it sees them as paddles. 

A way to tell if your paddles are being seen as a joystick instead is to have your paddles plugged into the left port, and a joystick plugged into the right port.  Press right on the right joystick to go down a page in the rom launcher.  Now press each of the paddle buttons in turn.  If one of the buttons causes your launcher to page-up, you know that your paddles are *not* being detected properly.  Until this condition changes, they will never work in game as paddles on the Retron, at least not without the addition of a 2600-daptor or similar.

I currently have one set of At Games paddles that works on my R77's front ports, and a set of Coleco Gemini paddles that does not.  The Gemini paddles did work about a year ago, and they do work on my 7800 as well as 2600-daptors.  They likely need cleaning.  In addition, the Gemini paddles have a very loose plug which likely doesn't make a particularly good connection to the console which may be contributing to this problem.

Interesting information. I wonder (or maybe forgot) how the paddles are detected. IMO the only way is to check the paddle pins. If they change value after being dumped within a frame, then it should be paddle. No idea if the R77 is doing the same, but if, then maybe changing the paddle position might improve the detection.

Hi everyone , I tried downloading the RetoN 77 Community Build and when the popped it into my Retron77 it appears zoomed in, the image is slightly enlarged cutting off the edges and instead of 48 games I only see 23 (which is great! but the most important game that I'm trying to acquire is Pitfall II and with all the luck that game wasn't downloaded; I actually have the cartridge of the game too but the console won't read it.  So I figured this download would do the trick but hasn't thus far)   

Am I doing something wrong?  I've deleted and downloaded several times and still end up with the same results.

In short how do I get it to look like this? :

KulQ0E.png

Edited:

I forgot to Mention when I select Direct Download it shows me that I'm download 13.2 MB but the file size says it 13.15

And I don't know if it matters, the size of the file appears to be the problem, but writing the micro sd card with Win32 Disk Imager.

Edited by luna2607
missing information

1 hour ago, luna2607 said:

Hi everyone , I tried downloading the RetoN 77 Community Build and when the popped it into my Retron77 it appears zoomed in, the image is slightly enlarged cutting off the edges and instead of 48 games I only see 23 (which is great! but the most important game that I'm trying to acquire is Pitfall II and with all the luck that game wasn't downloaded; I actually have the cartridge of the game too but the console won't read it.  So I figured this download would do the trick but hasn't thus far)   

Am I doing something wrong?  I've deleted and downloaded several times and still end up with the same results.

In short how do I get it to look like this? :

Edited:

I forgot to Mention when I select Direct Download it shows me that I'm download 13.2 MB but the file size says it 13.15

And I don't know if it matters, the size of the file appears to be the problem, but writing the micro sd card with Win32 Disk Imager.

You didn't mention which version you wrote to your sd card.  If it's the latest, you should be able to press one of the buttons on the back of the Retron when in the launcher(game list) to bring up the options menu.  The menu can be navigated using a joystick.  There are options that will allow you to fit your screen.

Where are you seeing 48 games, in Windows?  You are placing the games in a directory on the sd card named "\games," correct?  Are you ejecting the card properly in Windows before unplugging it?  The game should work if it is a straight or zipped binary stored in \games.

I went out and bought a SanDisk micro SD card, the smallest memory I could find was a 32g

I tried pressing the aspect button and the back of the console but it did not adjust the size.

And my bad I miss understood the number of games.  On the picture of the menu screen, top right corner, it reads 48 items found.  I thought that meant number of games, but I counted it and I count 28 games which makes more sense because I do see when I press Direct download it says I'm downloading 13.2 when the size of the file 13.15.  The .13 must be the missing 5 games.

Maybe its a matter repeated attempts of downloading?