IGNORED

RetroN 77 Community Build Image

remowilliams

On 7/18/2020 at 8:13 PM, luna2607 said:

I went out and bought a SanDisk micro SD card, the smallest memory I could find was a 32g

I tried pressing the aspect button and the back of the console but it did not adjust the size.

And my bad I miss understood the number of games.  On the picture of the menu screen, top right corner, it reads 48 items found.  I thought that meant number of games, but I counted it and I count 28 games which makes more sense because I do see when I press Direct download it says I'm downloading 13.2 when the size of the file 13.15.  The .13 must be the missing 5 games.

Maybe its a matter repeated attempts of downloading?

Once the firmware has been upgraded to the community build, the aspect button does not serve the same function as with the original Hyperkin firmware.

Can you take a picture of your screen at the Stella launcher and share it with us?  I'm just not sure what you are downloading or what you expect.

If I had to guess, the 13.2 size is probably just 13.15 rounded up or otherwise calculated differently, in other words they are likely the same.

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2020 at 10:55 PM, Wizzard said:

Would it be possible to use this or modified image on some Allwinner H3 SBC like Orange Pi? I would like to use my Orange Pi in Flashback X case and to have the same Stella only environment.

Yes, I think this is feasible, but you'll have to do some modifications. The R77 firmware is based on an old version of the Orange Pi uboot and kernel trees. The hardware is stripped down, though, and I am not sure whether there are any changes from hyperkin to the device tree. To my knowledge, the only things R77-specific are the dumper (which communcates with a MCU over tty) and a kernel driver that handles joysticks and hardware buttons (using GPIO and i2c).

At a minimum, you'll have to remove the dumper from the init script and start Stella directly, and disabling the Hyperkin kernel driver is a good idea, too. Additional changes may be required in case there are more hardware differences, and you may have to reenable more OrangePI stuff in the kernel config. Provided some experience with (embedded) linux, I think it can be pulled off. I don't have time to do any actual works on this, but I'll be happy to give you advice ;)

• Like 2

I'm afraid we have found a few issues with Stella 6.3 that particularly affect the R77. Notably, savekey-enabled and CDF cartridges fail to work, and the dumper does not work correctly (aka 6.3 won't play real cartridges). In addition, the dumper may send Stella into a kill-restart loop. I've removed the build to keep everybody from finding out the hard way ;) There'll be an updated R77 build soon.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

It is not the RAM, just a developer error. :) 

Aha - this looks like it's the fix for it - Fix romSize overflow. Fixes DPC emulation with UNSAFE_OPTIMIZATIONS. Before posting I did a quick scanned down the commits looking for CDF, not DPC, so glanced right over it.

7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

This has been answered multiple times before in this forum. Please do some research.

so yes or no?

;) no, but seriously I didn’t find the answer. There seems to be page after page about people having issues with particular controllers. I know the homebrew carts will not work on the standard Retron 77 off the shelf, so my bet would be that they still won’t work on the community build, but I thought that someone may reassure me. Funnily enough I was thinking of buying Aardvark! Is it similar to the Stella releases, that changes are implemented regularly to increase capability with new roms, or is that not possible with community build for Retron77? 

• 6 months later...

SOS! I just flashed the latest community build to my Retron 77 SD card. (https://github.com/DirtyHairy/r77-firmware-ng/releases/tag/stella-6.5.3 this is where I downloaded the sdcard.img) I used Etcher for Windows 10 to flash the SD card image to the SD card.

Popped it in, fired up the Retron and played Mario Bros. just fine for a couple of minutes, then hit fry to go back to the Stella menu. Loaded up Keystone Kapers and within seconds the game froze. Waited, nothing. Hit reset, nothing. Fry, nothing. Turned off and back on, same result. It is now doing this with every game I try and sometimes freezing in the menu as well.. I have 116 roms loaded in the the games folder, all are .a26 files. 

I did not mess with any Stella menu settings whatsoever.. I did read that some snapshot setting can cause a memory leak, but again, I did not change any settings at all. 

One last bit of info, the same thing happens when I insert a cartridge, it also freezes the console just like playing from the sd card. 

Any help would be appreciated.