IGNORED

RetroN 77 Community Build Image

remowilliams

I guess I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I format the card in FAT and burn the image from the Dropbox link with Etcher. There are literally no other extra steps in the process that I've taken. It loads the UI on the Retron and plays games from cartridges. The only thing that is missing, as far as I can tell, are the roms, which are definitely in the Games folder since I can see them on the computer - they just seem invisible from within the Retron.

What format roms are you using? Zipped? Unzipped?

You are burning the image right, sounds like if it boots correctly. Try downloading the harmony cart ROM pack in ROM's collection over on Atarimania, and putting them in the correct folder.

What format roms are you using? Zipped? Unzipped?

You are burning the image right, sounds like if it boots correctly. Try downloading the harmony cart ROM pack in ROM's collection over on Atarimania, and putting them in the correct folder.

The game roms are in .bin format, which are automatically included in the Games folder as part of the build. There's stuff like Supercharger Space Invaders and Amoeba Jump in there. I've also tried adding some other Atari .bin games in there too - all of which I have and know work from the other build that uses the Hyperkin UI. They are also invisible in this build.

The game roms are in .bin format, which are automatically included in the Games folder as part of the build. There's stuff like Supercharger Space Invaders and Amoeba Jump in there. I've also tried adding some other Atari .bin games in there too - all of which I have and know work from the other build that uses the Hyperkin UI. They are also invisible in this build.

No idea.

Mine are all zipped files I threw in there from the Atarimania archive. Maybe try some zipped files and see? Otherwise it's probably the SD card. I have burned images to card for tons of things... and some cards just behave weird and don't work right no matter what you do.

attachicon.gif20180814_121247.jpg

This is what I get in the mnt folder. No games show up in the Stella folder either.

This means that the bootloader can read the FAT partition (otherwise it couldn't load the kernel image), but Linux can't mount the partition --- that's why your folder is empty. It is impossible to tell why without accessing a terminal on the device, but I guess Linux is having issues with your SD card. Could you try another card?

• Like 1

You shouldn't need to 'format' the SD card at all. Writing the image with Win32DiskImager takes care of all that. Do that, and see if the ROM selection screen at least shows '/mnt/games'. If it does, only then should you add more ROMs to that directory. If it doesn't, then there is something wrong with either the SD card or how you're writing the image. I suppose there could be something wrong with the image itself, but the fact that it works for so many others points to something else being the issue.

It's also not clear what will happen if you use filenames that DOS doesn't like. Maybe one of the ROMs you added has an illegal DOS character. I suggest getting it working just for the ROMs that come with the image, and only after that is completely working should you attempt adding more.

• Like 2

is there a way i can fix the overscaned menu on my tv set ??? i dont have overscan button on my remote

You probably have to dig in the setup menus. There is nothing called overscan on my TV but I eventually found that setting width to normal was what I needed. There are two places to adjust width in my TVs menus! These new TV sets are rather complex.

You probably will want to spend some time working in those menus though in order to get the best results from your Retron 77.

After setting the width in two places, telling it to use game mode in two places and removing a bunch of smoothing, etc. filters I now get pretty good responsiveness and a lot less screen tear (still not gone though).

So, maybe "drops out of the box and works" is too much to expect these days.

Good luck.

After setting the width in two places, telling it to use game mode in two places and removing a bunch of smoothing, etc. filters I now get pretty good responsiveness and a lot less screen tear (still not gone though).

You can eliminate screen tearing whenever it occus by double clicking the aspect ratio button. I've shared this workaround to support the Retron77 with my latest release.

This should be a pretty easy fix now that the problem has been identified as calling the software renderer late like was happening initially with DirectX, rather than the software renderer being slow.

• Like 1

Yeah, game mode is what should be the appropriate setting on modern TV sets. The tearing, however, cannot be fixed with Stella 3 and libSDL1 as this setup does not support vsync. Someone would need to get EGL hardware acceleration and libSDL2 with vsync working on the device. At this point, Stella >= 4 can be ported, and tearing will be gone.

• Like 2

It's clear the

The tearing, however, cannot be fixed with Stella 3 …

Yes it can, any one can see that the workaround will synch the soft renderer whenever the screen starts to tear.

Looks like the software renderer was written in x86 asm while the code to call it was rewritten in C with relative performance issues.

Hi,

Although pressing the fry button gets you back to the Stella menu, you still have to press it everytime to start a different rom. One possible suggestion, which I have not tried, is the microbot push button device. This device will push a button for you remotely. Just attach it to the RetroN 77. If anyone purchases this let everyone know if it worked. Available on Amazon as well. Hope this helps.

https://microbot.is/push/

Hi,

Although pressing the fry button gets you back to the Stella menu, you still have to press it everytime to start a different rom. One possible suggestion, which I have not tried, is the microbot push button device. This device will push a button for you remotely. Just attach it to the RetroN 77. If anyone purchases this let everyone know if it worked. Available on Amazon as well. Hope this helps.

https://microbot.is/push/

Well that's certainly interesting. I wonder how it would attach to the R77? Is it a firm connection? Is it removable? If so, how many times before that wears out? Is there room? And I don't know about mobilizing a multi-trillion dollar network (internet) to push a button that isn't more than a meter away from me.

Alternatively I'd just wire in a wired-remote button to whatever I wanted to activate. Perhaps use a connector and wire in several buttons to a custom remote. Or just bring the unit closer to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any way the community builds would be able to address the particularly finicky dumping process on this thing? I have a good dozen or so games (I'm looking at you, Activision games) that simply won't play, even though they work fine on a Heavy Sixer.

It's not just Activision games.

Also, the jittery paddles. Oy.

The fact is the controller reading the joystick portalready knows what is plugged into it. So somewhere in the console ram or controller memory, a bit already exists identifying the controller type. The location of this bit needs to be identified so that Stella can map it as an input to set the controller type.

That the Retron77 is able to read the controller port in hardware means it is accessible by software. Somewhere within the system memory of the Retron77 that Stella emu occupies is an identifier that tells Stella what type of controller to emulate. Somewhere within the system memory of the Retron77 is an identifier that tells what controller type is currently plugged in.

Stella needs to directly access this address, or a script needs to read from the hardware identifier address and write it to Stella's controller type address.