IGNORED

SRAM-Charger for Indus-GT - interest poll

tf_hh

if these are Indus only - i'll take one

if they'll fit to CA2001 and LDW2000 then count me in for three

Myself has "only" the genuine Indus GT. As I have read (for example here and in some other posts @ AtariAge) this way of building a new RAM-Charger should also work with the clone / compatible drives. But I can´t test it by myself. Trub (see link) has explained what to do.

I used a similar way and take a different TTL chip (74HCT139 instead of 74LS155), but there shouldn´t be any difference.

Lastly without opening the case, is there any way to peek and/or poke to see if an Indus drive already has a RAM-Charger installed?

Yes. See this link to Trub´s site and scroll down to the chapter "Testing the extension". There´s a tool for testing the RAM Charger (any type, genuine or new build). You can see the process of testing the 64 KB in pages displayed by the track display - well done, Trub!

• Like 2

I'd like one! (Looks like more interest than you might have thought?)

Do you have any idea about how you would ship and the postage?

Seems so :)

The german postal service offers only 1 cm in thickness for a lower postage than the usual boxes I take for all my shipments. This is not enough for an air cushion envelope and some small parts like this.

If somebody wants only to order the SRAM Charger and will take the risk, I can offer non-insured shipments for 5 Euros instead of the usual 9 Euros. Not recommended for non-USA and non-Europe destination addresses.

Now, what we need is a good Z80 programmer to create a GTHAPPY.SYS driver for SDX. With all that RAM, the Indus could do even more than a Happy.

Even just extending the Indus Doubler emulator to do 64K of sector caching with the ultraspeed protocol would be pretty cool.

• Like 4

Even just extending the Indus Doubler emulator to do 64K of sector caching with the ultraspeed protocol would be pretty cool.

It would!

However, the Z80 is a powerful CPU which has plenty of RAM to use. It is definitely possible to write the best copy cloning software ever made for the Atari.

I hope someone will take up the challenge. BITD, I did some Z80 stuff, but sadly, I have forgotten more than I learned.

Z80 is a really powerful chip to code for!

Take up the challenge. How about this for next years ABBUC software competition?

:)

• Like 2

Make it two for me instead of one. I'll "spread" the postage over two units. (Presume two will fit in the same envelope?) That postage is not really all that bad. The USPS charges $6 for a "small box" priority shipment even if it is across town. 9 Euros is pretty good, all the way from Germany.

-Larry

• Like 1

Hallo Kyle

Take up the challenge. How about this for next years ABBUC software competition?

:)

I'm no sure if it will be able to enter the contest, as software for the contest should run on common, unaltered hardware as far as I remember. The Indus GT and its clones aren't considered "common" in Europe.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

I'm curious... did the C64 and Apple ][ versions of the GT have RamCharger-CP/M capability?

Don´t know. Have try google for pictures of an open Indus GT for C64, but didn´t found any hint.

Here´s the manual for the C64 version, this one doesn´t tell something about a CP/M mode.

Indus_GT_Disk_Drive_Manual_C64_version.pdf

Maybe anybody else knows more...