IGNORED

SRAM-Charger for Indus-GT - interest poll

tf_hh

Thanks for your help!

From your AA link, the Tool downloaded with zero issues -- gave me the popup window with "SAVE or Open with" option (Win7).

Rechecking, yes the right click at Trub's does work. I didn't interpret the "Save Link as" correctly -- thinking it would save the address and not the actual contents of the link.

-Larry

• Like 1

Did you create your CP/M disks as described here? Sounds like what mine did many years ago befor someone figued out how to repair the first 3 sectors.

http://trub.atari8.info/index.php?ref=indus_cpm_en

I did, and did it again. So then I tried to re-do the sector copy and I think that's where it's failing.. This time I noticed it only writes a few tracks to the disk and stops... What sector copier have others used??

Okay, so looking at the Indus RAM Charger Utility Disk.atr image, it's blank after the first many tracks so perhaps the copier software is being intelligent and not copying blank sectors...

What I'm doing:

- copying Indus RAM Charger Utility Disk.atr to a blank disk.

- running cpmtool to fix the first three sectors

- holding Drive Type and pressing Error

- the disk spins, seeks to track one, and then the "INDUS CPM 2.2...." message appears on the screen..

Pressing return does nothing.....

Sounds like you're doing everything right (although you don't mention the terminal disk, I'll assume you booted it first). Acting like the boot disk is not right. I'd start by using a sector copier to copy every sector, empty or not. Are you writing the boot disk in your Indus? Are you using the Utility Disk from the link on Trub's page? Other possibilities ..... wrong ROM version? bad Ramcharger? Do you have a different Indus you can try with?

what is required is a disk copier that can 1 control the indus and 2 copy all the sectors in proper density... This means that some one would have to make a sector copier capable of doing so booting in single density then let it do it's magic to control the indus and write it out in full double density... but this might be even harder as the source atr image might also not hold the data for the first sectors since it too is not aware- and finally.... do you think APE or respeqt will serve those disk properly? Probably also not ready to do this sort of thing... so the work around of setting up and patching is what must happen...

Who knows maybe all these updates and upgrades already exist... anybody have them, seen them, or fixing them?

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hi,

I´m a bit surprised, because I thought the manual in junction with Trub´s website did explain everything. So I will try to summarize all needed steps here again:

1. Take any sector copier you want and copy the following files to one physical real disk using your Indus GT drive each:

Indus RAM Charger Check.atr

Indus RAM Charger 40-80 Terminal.atr

Indus RAM Charger CPM Boot.atr

Indus RAM Charger CPM BIOS.atr

2. Boot the disc with no BASIC (OPTION held) from your Indus GT drive containing the file "Indus RAM Charger Check". Press "L" and RETURN, enter "CPMTOOL.COM" and RETURN.

3. Press "1" to test your SRAM charger. First the installed ROM version will be displayed. If your version is below 1.20, then CP/M is not possible! See below.

4. Test your SRAM charger :)

5. Insert the disc containing "Indus RAM Charger CPM Boot" and press "2" (Fix CP/M boot). Confirm with "Y". A few sectors will be written.

6. Insert the disc containing "Indus RAM Charger CPM BIOS" and press "2" (Fix CP/M boot). Confirm with "Y". A few sectors will be written.

7. Switch off computer, insert the disc "Indus RAM Charger 40-80 Terminal" and power on with OPTION held.

8. DOS XL will be booted and some hints how to continue. Press "F" for the 40 column terminal or "E" for the 80 column version, then RETURN

9. After the terminal software is loaded, only a light green cursor in the upper left corner will be visible. That´s normal.

10. Insert the disc containing "Indus RAM Charger CPM Boot" in your Indus GT drive.

11. Press "DRIVE TYPE" on your drive, hold it down and press the ERROR key.

12. A beep will be hearable, drive boots now CP/M. The message "FUTURE CPM 2.2 REV 1.0 - Hit RETURN to continue" appears,

13. Hit RETURN and a prompt "A>" with a Digital Reseach copyright notice will be displayed.

That´s all. Now you can load CP/M programs and use the commands found in the disc(s). A directory is shown by enter "DIR" <RETURN>

Important notice on firmware!

Some Indus GT drives may have a firmware version below 1.20 - then CP/M can´t be loaded! You´ve to upgrade the Indus GT firmware before.

Find the V1.20 firmware here: indus_1.2.rom

The firmware can be burned into a standard 2732 EPROM (4 KByte). You didn´t need to change anything on the PCB, just remove the old ROM or EPROM at socket U3 and plug in the new burned 2732 EPROM.

There´s an alternative version - V1.2 enhanced: indus_1.2.enhanced.bin

This is a patched V1.2 with enables Highspeed-SIO with "standard" Highspeed-SIO routines like Hias´ or the SDX highspeed-SIO-code. Of course it´s not so fast like Happy or Speedy, because there´s no trackbuffer used, but better than without highspeed SIO. This patched version doesn´t support CP/M!

Jurgen

• Like 8

Let make an simplest of all. Why not, some of you already made an prefect disk image with fixed 3 sectors and drop the disk images here ready ? Why not ?

This is impossible, because all known sector copiers only accept 128 bytes for the three first sectors of each disc. This is the reason why the CP/M boot sectors are destroyed.

There´s an alternative version - V1.2 enhanced: attachicon.gifindus_1.2.enhanced.bin

This is a patched V1.2 with enables Highspeed-SIO with "standard" Highspeed-SIO routines like Hias´ or the SDX highspeed-SIO-code. Of course it´s not so fast like Happy or Speedy, because there´s no trackbuffer used, but better than without highspeed SIO.

Jurgen

Is that my enhanced 1.2 Indus ROM? I wasn't sure if CP/M would still work with that, so I put the plain 1.2 back in..

Edited by MrMartian
  • Like 1

I'd say it might come down to the rom, the error sounds like density mis match or verify failure. Try again with fresh never before used disk or bulk erased disk in drive 1, exactly as described to create and modify disk. If same error look to the rom, and give the drive a good cleaning while you are in there.... rails head heads etc....

Edited by _The Doctor__

After running CPMTOOL option 1 I get the drive display counting up to FF and on the screen I get an error 59 notification.

Which ROM version is displayed by the tool ?

Can you hear the bell when the display reaches FF ?

Are there any other drives connected ?

Note that the drive should be set to D1: (see jumpers at the back).

• Like 1

Which ROM version is displayed by the tool ?

Can you hear the bell when the display reaches FF ?

Are there any other drives connected ?

Note that the drive should be set to D1: (see jumpers at the back).

ROM version 01.00

There may be a tone sound (might be a bell sound). More of a click than tone.

SIO drive D1: and 800XL with SpartaDos 32f diskette.

ROM version 01.00

This version has bugs, you need to upgrade it to 1.20 as they say in the Indus GT Service Manual (pt. 4.14):

"If the EPROM in the drive you are working on has a version number of 1.00 or 1.10, then it should be replaced

immediately with the latest version of the device. The latest version to date is 1.20."

• Like 3

Is that my enhanced 1.2 Indus ROM? I wasn't sure if CP/M would still work with that, so I put the plain 1.2 back in..

I´ve tested it - the V1.2 enhanced version doesn´t boot CP/M. When you press the usual keys, nothing happens except a beep.

• Like 3

I´ve tested it - the V1.2 enhanced version doesn´t boot CP/M. When you press the usual keys, nothing happens except a beep.

Okay, that's probably to be expected.. I was pretty harsh with cutting things out to make more room, and I couldn't even test CP/M to know if it worked after. Now that I can, I may revisit my code and see if I can make it do ultraspeed and still be compatible with everything else..

So, yes, CP/M does work for me now. The problem was with SpartaDOS X's keyboard buffer (KEY ON) evidently causing problems with all of these programs (TT and the original programs). Doing a KEY OFF first makes it all better. So, thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. Back to ROM hacking for me!

• Like 4