IGNORED

Number of Atari 8 bit users in the given countries

gorgh

This topic is interesting for me, I can only estimate number of users in Poland, but have no idea what's the situation in other parts of the world whatsoever. Particularly I'm interested in estimated number of Atari homecomputers' users in United States, since this site is more America oriented.
edit:
I tried to ask Lotharek, but he didn't want to share his customers' number, from what I know Incognito board, which was probably mostly popular in States, was sold to 200 ppl.

Edited by gorgh

This topic is interesting for me, I can only estimate number of users in Poland, but have no idea what's the situation in other parts of the world whatsoever. Particularly I'm interested in estimated number of Atari homecomputers' users in United States, since this site is more America oriented.

edit:

I tried to ask Lotharek, but he didn't want to share his customers' number, from what I know Incognito board, which was probably mostly popular in States, was sold to 200 ppl.

I'd love to know this as well.

I guess you have to define "number of Atari home computer users" as a starting point. I assume you mean people who are somewhat actively using and/or interested in tracking what's going on in the current Atari 8-bit computer world.

I'll just throw a number out there with some logic behind it to get others responding too.

My youtube has several Atari 8-bit game videos, demonstrating the gameplay of each of the games I was involved in releasing over the past couple years. It has had about 3200 views across several different Atari homebrew game videos.

When I look at the geographic statistics, about 30% of those views were from within the United States.

Poland also generated about the same 30% of the views.

Followed by Germany 10%, and UK at 7%.

What I have no idea about is what the total global base is, so this mix could be applied to it ?

Looking at number of downloads of both historically popular games, as well as games released in recent years on sites like Atarimania, Fandal's site, Homesoft's site, etc., it seems to me there would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 global uses that are somewhat "active".

If that is true, then I'd assume somewhere around 1000 active users in the US.

Again, I might be way way off mark here. Just throwing my rough logic/number "out there" for reaction.

I'd LOVE to know what the globally active base is, and approximate break-out by country.

-Eric

edit:

they would have sold double that if the order window was of a longer time frame....

• Like 2

There's a vast difference from users to customer base..

I love things like the incognito and did want one but as known my money side is ultra tight so I never got one and add to the arthritis and the pain to solder and I'm even more less likely to be a customer but NOT because I don't like the item.

Factor in the cost which for small producers is impossible to keep down and it makes some items luxury items at times depending on the actually cost etc...

And that's where I am, an Atari user and occasional purchaser, I wish it was more balanced but that is life.

So that's where the numbers will vary because I'm not the only person like this by far, we all have our limits so the method of sorting the numbers must be relevant to that issue if a buyer base is to be included..

Sadly there's no Air Miles in just being a user or we would all have a sizeable spend :)

I'm just glad people in our communities don't look and think its not worth it, they produce and I hope they get a reward back or at least break even at worst scenario, pretty much all of these folks do it for love of the machines and giving some thing back, thank you..

• Like 5

Looking at number of downloads of both historically popular games, as well as games released in recent years on sites like Atarimania, Fandal's site, Homesoft's site, etc., it seems to me there would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 global uses that are somewhat "active".

If that is true, then I'd assume somewhere around 1000 active users in the US.

I'd LOVE to know what the globally active base is, and approximate break-out by country.

Thanks for the estimation, I can agree with that.

Speaking of Poland: there are probably 200-300 Atari owners, maybe more, there are over 3000 ppl registered on both polish Atari forums.

In Slovakia there are about 10 active users.But lot of retrogamers which have standard A800xe + tape drive + turbo cart. So about 20-30 total.But core is about 5-10...

Really? That small? I'm visiting Forever party at Slovakia every year and I always thought that Slovakia is mainly Atari and Spectrum country...what about Atariada party?

I have no good numbers to suggest but one thing that I do know is that at just about any random time on eBay.US there are 15-20ish 800XLs up for sale in varying conditions. Other A8 models are also almost always available in lesser quanity, down to the 1200XL which can sometimes be found and sometimes not. These auctions usually sell too, so a regular market is out there. The only question is how many of these machines go into the hands of new users who will put them into regular usage and how many go into the hands of long time A8 enthusiasts (like me)? Also, I would have to guess that a decent number of these A8 machines go onto the shelves of retro-gaming collectors but don't get much actual useage after the initial rush.

• Like 3

Slovakia 20... Czech 40-50... On Forever there are people from whole Europe. But yes we was ZX (own clones Didaktik) and A800 country in 80s... In Czechoslovakia about 300 000 A800XE was sold. They was in schools (also PMD 85 - intel 8080 computer). Every second friend had it... Probably they are still in homes (turbo 2000 tape and standard XE). But no so big and si active scene as in Poland...

• Like 1

There's a vast difference from users to customer base..

I love things like the incognito and did want one but as known my money side is ultra tight so I never got one and add to the arthritis and the pain to solder and I'm even more less likely to be a customer but NOT because I don't like the item.

Factor in the cost which for small producers is impossible to keep down and it makes some items luxury items at times depending on the actually cost etc...

And that's where I am, an Atari user and occasional purchaser, I wish it was more balanced but that is life.

So that's where the numbers will vary because I'm not the only person like this by far, we all have our limits so the method of sorting the numbers must be relevant to that issue if a buyer base is to be included..

Sadly there's no Air Miles in just being a user or we would all have a sizeable spend :)

I'm just glad people in our communities don't look and think its not worth it, they produce and I hope they get a reward back or at least break even at worst scenario, pretty much all of these folks do it for love of the machines and giving some thing back, thank you..

I'm in the same boat. Often times the ordering of these FANTASTIC devices like Incognito come at a time when I don't have the finances, and are no longer available when I do. I often end up only buying what is in stock regularly, from Atarimax or Lotharek. I've only managed to catch the train with two items, THE!CART and SysCheck 2.2 V1. Way to much stuff actually come out for me to afford it all anyway, which is a great thing, but I can only get what is continually available in my time, or when certain stars come into alignment. But I'm a continual user, for the most part, for the last 3+ decades, and American. And I've lived all across this great nation in that time, east coast to west coast, Canada to the Gulf of Mexico, and brought my Atari along every step of the way and still an avid supporter where and when I can.

• Like 3

America first!

But at least, Germany second... ;-)

Americans are also the most supportive (donations, stuff in the mail) by some margin, followed by the UK, Germany, and a few others in the top ten. Lotharek appears to single-handedly shoulder almost 100 per cent of that responsibility for Poland, however, which is quite interesting.

• Like 2

America first!

But at least, Germany second... ;-)

Useless comparison if not matched to the number of people living in those countries....

It's interesting to see China and South Korea......I think they're planning on selling cheap copies of U1MB on Aliexpress and download Jon's firmware ! :D :D :D

Edited by Level42

Americans are also the most supportive (donations, stuff in the mail) by some margin, followed by the UK, Germany, and a few others in the top ten. Lotharek appears to single-handedly shoulder almost 100 per cent of that responsibility for Poland, however, which is quite interesting. very sad.

There, fixed that for you.

Edited by Level42

Looks I was bored.... :D FLC's hits....

of course GB's figure is not honest because Jon hits his own website all the time....... :grin: :grin: :grin:

The Slovakians are the champions with a good second place for the Czechs.... Poland's 3rd place....well Jon explained it...

Pretty surprised by the Swede's who hold a proud 4th place (where are those guys...here ?)

The rest....well look at the list :)

post-25272-0-00527000-1533380238.jpg

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2