IGNORED

Legit eBay sales?

slab0meat

When they place their orders for cartridge parts for their next new game, they can order the number of extras to fulfill existing requests for previously soldout cartridges. If they want to take a small risk (seperate from that of the new game) they can order a few more to fulfill future orders.

And they have at time done just so, especially Team Pixelboy and Opcode Games. Both aforemntioned Homebrewers have also struck deals with AtariAge to manufacture and distribute a large number of titles, but things take time seeing as all or most all do this as a Hobby and have full time jobs, families and life to live.

While almost all are never released as a rom file at release, most are eventually shared freely to be used via emulation or a MultiCart.

Aside from all the above, this whole subject eventually boils down to what and how the Homebrewers want to go about doing things and I'll always respect therr decisions even if I don't always agree with them.

For sure, it's up to them. It's a hobby and they probably enjoy making new games more than dealing with old ones. They might even like seeing their cartridges climb in value.

I saw one of my games sell on eBay for almost the cost of another batch for a physical release. At first it is impressive.. er, then you realize none of that is going towards making new copies and spreading the enjoyment further. Digital downloads very much bite into sales so you can't muster up another physical run.

I saw one of my games sell on eBay for almost the cost of another batch for a physical release. At first it is impressive.. er, then you realize none of that is going towards making new copies and spreading the enjoyment further. Digital downloads very much bite into sales so you can't muster up another physical run.

So why not make more copies of the game to begin with? Why not make a second run of games?

Who is selling digital homebrew games? I am only aware of one of the homebrew companies that every Christmas gives out some roms for free.

• Like 1

What's a minimum number for another run of cartridges? Regardless, there might not be demand. My understanding is that the biggest expense is the setup cost to print boxes. I think some have said they are reluctant to sell digital files because of copying. But I don't see why loose cartridges couldn't be made on demand.

I can comment on this. I found it cost prohibitive to print less than 100 boxes. And I found a nice price break if I print 150. To be clear I've not sold 100 of any title so I usually have leftovers but it would have cost the same amount to print the lower # of boxes so it makes sense to do so.

As for loose cartirdges... if you were going to do that then why not just sell them as roms or play them in an emulator? It's kind of missing the whole point.

What's a minimum number for another run of cartridges? Regardless, there might not be demand. My understanding is that the biggest expense is the setup cost to print boxes. I think some have said they are reluctant to sell digital files because of copying. But I don't see why loose cartridges couldn't be made on demand.

• Like 1

I also heard it wouldn't cost much more to have another 150 boxes printed at the same time since the setup is already paid.

Digital files can also be used with flash multicarts. But like I said some are concerned about copying. Don't know how valid those concerns are. Still others don't like or have flash mukticarts or just prefer regular cartridges.

So why not make more copies of the game to begin with? Why not make a second run of games?

Who is selling digital homebrew games? I am only aware of one of the homebrew companies that every Christmas gives out some roms for free.

Money. Along with groceries, rent and other living expenses big runs are prohibitive. Especially since after the first run sales really slow down. It becomes a bigger and bigger risk.

I suspect I'm not the only one selling digital copies on Itch.io.

• Like 1

Money. Along with groceries, rent and other living expenses big runs are prohibitive. Especially since after the first run sales really slow down. It becomes a bigger and bigger risk.

I suspect I'm not the only one selling digital copies on Itch.io.

Instead of another run, what's the issue with getting a few shells and pcbs for cartridges on demand.
  • Like 1

I can comment on this. I found it cost prohibitive to print less than 100 boxes. And I found a nice price break if I print 150. To be clear I've not sold 100 of any title so I usually have leftovers but it would have cost the same amount to print the lower # of boxes so it makes sense to do so.

As for loose cartirdges... if you were going to do that then why not just sell them as roms or play them in an emulator? It's kind of missing the whole point.

The point is to have boxes? Really? Maybe for some. I think a lot of people would actually be happy with carts or ROMs vs waiting to have a boxed version appear for $200+. You dont have the manual now, so that is a bit of a limit until you figure it out on your own.
  • Like 1

I think you could sell that many, even NIB. I see several people on the facebook site that think a game sold out, even though I know you are often willing to make them to order, or there is the gap between selling out and making more. I suppose that is a little tricky with the Etsy store.

I'm not sure either. Just seems more interesting to try and recreate the original experience to some degree. I get a real kick out of finding a homebrew game for sale in a videogame shop or even a boxed original just like I used to see.

Like comparing an mp3 to a record with it's full sleeve art. The container was part of the expeince. The physical cartridge rather than just a menu selection.

The resale values are too high. There are many I can't get either.

What game is it you are trying to get?

I'm not sure either. Just seems more interesting to try and recreate the original experience to some degree. I get a real kick out of finding a homebrew game for sale in a videogame shop or even a boxed original just like I used to see.

Like comparing an mp3 to a record with it's full sleeve art. The container was part of the expeince. The physical cartridge rather than just a menu selection.

The resale values are too high. There are many I can't get either.

What game is it you are trying to get?

Ive found almost all of them, watching and waiting. As far as box art, I like War, Princess Quest, Zombie Incident and the CBS version of zombie Near. Id feel bad, I think, if I paid $300 for box art, but it is serious to a lot of people. Im wavering on paying $70 for Zombie Incident. I feel like I have to play the game some more to get it, since Ive bought like 60 home brews in the last 2 years and have to start pacing myself. Id like a NIB Antarctic Adventure. I have CIB, but it has anti-theft tape around it. As far as game play, Id like Pippols, which Ive recently gotten to like, but is going for $150. When I first got into ColecoVision a couple years ago, I thought the idea of paying for SCE versions of games was a little short of blasphemous, but now I feel like it would be great to have the whole set. Fortunately, we have them as ROMs. The box art ones I mentioned above, I would probably buy a nice wall poster for framing. Im not sure where Id put them all.

Boxes are completely useless, which explains why kids threw them all away. Boxes are only valuable to collectors because they are less common, because so many people threw them out back in the day. At least with manuals, there is a point in that it explains how to play the game. With some games like Pac-Man or Tetris you don't need to read the manual, but other games make no sense without it.

I find the boxes are the best way to protect the games during moves. I also like the way they look, but that's just me. What it all boils down to for modern homebrews, I think, is the quality of the games. If a game is good, it's going to have a high resale value. We're not talking Stadium Games for NES, where the popularity comes from the rarity and many people trying to complete a collection.

If I were a homebrewer, I would try to do reprints on the order of once every 3 to 5 years. Pre-paid preorder model. That way, you don't get as many speculators scalping excess copies because you know a reprint will arrive...and most retrogamers have an abundance of patience for these games.

Once the game has seen three or four print runs and interest is at the lowest point, offer ROM digital download for a fair price.

High priced collectibles in ebay are fine for their target demographic: collectors with deep pockets. But gamers who missed the boat will miss their chance to buy a great game.

Why can't home brewers once a year take pre-paid orders on any game in their back catalogue? They can do the regular order of 60 or so games, its just not 60 of the same game. If only 5 people want a game, they can make 5. If the printer can't make as few as 5 boxes, then they can sell it without a box. Any Kinkos should have no problem with only making 5 boxes.