IGNORED

Atari 5200 Kiosk Restoration Video

drcurtis

I know I'm a new member here, but many of you might know me from the NintendoAge forums, or even further back on Digital Press. I'm a long-time collector of arcade games, consoles and games, and have a special interest in store displays and kiosks.

I bought a non-working 5200 kiosk last month and made a video detailing the process of restoring it to its old glory. I'd be glad if you took a look and would welcome any questions. And thanks for letting me be a part of your community.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Welcome! Great work and I really enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing your project! I really like seeing old arcade monitors brought back to life. I've a healthy respect for CRTs and flybacks. Rebuilding those is a skill I would like to develop but have been reluctant to explore so far for obvious reasons. Love the 5200 and kiosk. I am curious, what hardware was in the original for multi game selection?

Congrats on your Kiosk! It is nice to see a another one still lives. Did yours have the demo cart and any documentation, like the manual? If not, I can send you a scanned copy of mine. Not only did mine have the manual but it had the dummy cart and the glaxian demo cart as well.

• Like 2

It had the dummy cart but the label was really worn and faded. It came with a Galaxian cart that does not work--not sure if it was a demo cart or just a regular cart.

It did not have any documentation but I did find the links and they were very helpful, particularly the field service manual.

I see someone on ebay has the side display cabinet for sale. My kiosk had art on both sides so probably was never used in that manner.

• Like 2

Welcome! Great work and I really enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing your project! I really like seeing old arcade monitors brought back to life. I've a healthy respect for CRTs and flybacks. Rebuilding those is a skill I would like to develop but have been reluctant to explore so far for obvious reasons. Love the 5200 and kiosk. I am curious, what hardware was in the original for multi game selection?

I don't believe there was a multi game selection cart for it.

Did you look at the mechanism for the joytsick as they look much better than the usual 5200 stick (false advertising Kiosk?)

They are much more like typical arcade sticks. However, they are analogue and do have somewhat of a dead spot in the middle where they will drift in any particular direction when released. I only briefly used the actual console controller way back in the day so have no way to compare, but obviously this is much better. I will likely look at their calibration a little more closely as some games are great (Ms. Pacman) and some seem terrible (Frogger).