IGNORED

My homemade 5200 controller

smbaker

I've been out on a business trip for a week, and I see this has stirred up some interest. ;)

As I have a limited quantity (only eight!) of prototypes on hand, it'll be a maximum of 2 pcboards per customer. I will not sell parts or assembled controllers, just pcboards. Preferably to people who are capable of sourcing and programming the microcontroller themselves. Please keep in mind that it does require some level to skill to build the controller, and the appropriate programmer to program the microcontroller. The price per pcboard will be $10 each, plus shipping.

Once some others have built them and there have been positive results, I'll either make a second order (with possible revisions, if there is feedback from the initial round of builders), or release the board files so folks can make a group buy, Enough to eventually supply everyone who wants them.

If you're interested in these, please send me a PM now. Priority will be given to 1) those who are able to program the microcontroller, 2) those who feel they are capable of designing a case, and 3) those who wish to feature the controller on a blog.

Scott

Sent you a PM last night for two boards :)

I'm in the same boat as sramirez. I'd love to jump one of these but I can't assemble this stuff. :(

After I get Steve's done I'll consider building yours as well if I have the time and you have the interest.

I'm not doing this for everyone though, only my long time good friends that I have known for years.

Sorry to the rest. I'm nice but not that nice. I just don't have the time to do this for randoms even if

I'm getting paid as it's really not about the money, it's about the time as I already have too much

of my own shit to get done. Only so many hours in the day.

• Like 2

After I get Steve's done I'll consider building yours as well if I have the time and you have the interest.

I'm not doing this for everyone though, only my long time good friends that I have known for years.

Sorry to the rest. I'm nice but not that nice. I just don't have the time to do this for randoms even if

I'm getting paid as it's really not about the money, it's about the time as I already have too much

of my own shit to get done. Only so many hours in the day.

Does being the Atari 5200 Podcast get any consideration ;) . I have no skills too. I would pay you for your time :)

I could mention you and your kindness on the show and propel you into fame but no fortune ;)

No stress if you cant :)

Edited by Protestari

All current boards have been sold out. Once there are a few of them built, and there are positive results, I'll figure out a way to make more available.

Scott

Thanks so much for your contribution. If you ever decide to help us guys with no skills get a populated board let me know as my Paypal is standing by :)

Wow, I bought one of those after our cohost Steve Averitt made a video about it. I think it was about $20 when I bought it, now $100.

I just bought one today from japan for $15 plus whatever the proxy shipping service charges to mail it to the states... I'd never pay $100 for it. I assume it contains some sort of fuse protected (so you cant dump the code) microcontroller but I'm definitely going to open it up and take a look if/when it ever arrives.

I just bought one today from japan for $15 plus whatever the proxy shipping service charges to mail it to the states... I'd never pay $100 for it. I assume it contains some sort of fuse protected (so you cant dump the code) microcontroller but I'm definitely going to open it up and take a look if/when it ever arrives.

Is this PlayStation to 15pin gameport or to USB?

I ordered my parts from arrow and sparkfun directly to avoid digikey's shipping charges. If anyone needs my arrow BOM just shoot me a message.

Scratch that regarding sparkfun. They sat on my order for 2 days so I cancelled it and went with Mouser. My order went to shipping within 2 hours at Mouser.

• 2 weeks later...

I built one of these controllers up and they work very well. Passes all tests with the test cart for all buttons. Played some missile command like in the OP's demo video. Galaxian and Super Pacman don't really like it much for some reason (doesn't want to go left, kinda like with other digital controllers) but everything else I've thrown at it so far is great. Anyone looking for a decent controller to replace the hunk of junk stock controllers I would recommend this build for sure. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I built one of these controllers up and they work very well. Passes all tests with the test cart for all buttons. Played some missile command like in the OP's demo video. Galaxian and Super Pacman don't really like it much for some reason (doesn't want to go left, kinda like with other digital controllers) but everything else I've thrown at it so far is great. Anyone looking for a decent controller to replace the hunk of junk stock controllers I would recommend this build for sure. :thumbsup:

Ohh baby!

Are you using the controller bare or attached to a piece of hardboard like in the YouTube video or have you come up with a better solution?

• Like 1