IGNORED

My homemade 5200 controller

smbaker

Has anyone else built one yet? I've been trying to help Shawn diagnose the issues that he is seeing, but have been unable to reproduce it on either of my controllers.

I have also made a second run of boards, with the following minor modifications:

- Added footprints for Sparkfun COM-10302 buttons as triggers

- Eliminated solder jumpers (only there for early design debugging)

- Eliminated pot reference voltage jumper (also there for early design debugging)

- Added "config" button and pullup (unused at this time; incompatible with ICSP)

- Change tactile button footprints for better fit

- Added JP2 digtial pot CS jumper and pullup (to allow deselecting the digital pot during ICSP programming)

- Added ICSP HDR (incompatible with the "config" button)

All of these are relatively minor changes. The "config" button is a potential future enhancement, for example we could possibly use it to allow the user to configure compensation for thumbstick centering.

The ICSP header would allow people to program the microcontroller using a $7 usbasp-style programmer rather than the more expensive TL866-style programmers.

I'd like to hear a few positive stories before selling these boards, just to make sure the issue Shawn reported isn't happening to others.

Scott

• Like 2

Has anyone else built one yet? I've been trying to help Shawn diagnose the issues that he is seeing, but have been unable to reproduce it on either of my controllers.

I have also made a second run of boards, with the following minor modifications:

- Added footprints for Sparkfun COM-10302 buttons as triggers

- Eliminated solder jumpers (only there for early design debugging)

- Eliminated pot reference voltage jumper (also there for early design debugging)

- Added "config" button and pullup (unused at this time; incompatible with ICSP)

- Change tactile button footprints for better fit

- Added JP2 digtial pot CS jumper and pullup (to allow deselecting the digital pot during ICSP programming)

- Added ICSP HDR (incompatible with the "config" button)

All of these are relatively minor changes. The "config" button is a potential future enhancement, for example we could possibly use it to allow the user to configure compensation for thumbstick centering.

The ICSP header would allow people to program the microcontroller using a $7 usbasp-style programmer rather than the more expensive TL866-style programmers.

I'd like to hear a few positive stories before selling these boards, just to make sure the issue Shawn reported isn't happening to others.

Scott

Ok let us know as I will take two boards, thanks.

Sparkfun sells them new, and digikey sells the Sparkfun-branded ones. I don't know whether or not they're identical to the PS controller part (Sparkfun says "very similar" in their description).

They are not the same size as playstation ones. The sparkfun ones are a bit bigger on the base so ps ones don't fit.

Now that Shawn's issue has been resolved, I'm opening up the remaining pcboards for sales to those who want them. As before, maximum of two pcboards per person.

Protestari, I have you down for two -- send me a PM and we'll arrange the details.

Scott

Somehow I think he already got a pair? I saw a picture he posted of 2 of them when talking about his upcoming podcast.

Now that Shawn's issue has been resolved, I'm opening up the remaining pcboards for sales to those who want them. As before, maximum of two pcboards per person.

Protestari, I have you down for two -- send me a PM and we'll arrange the details.

Scott

I was just on your site today and it said that you were still working out the board production. Are they sold out now?

Also, hopefully a quick question, what would be a good capacitor value to correct for using a 345k-390k ohm pots? That would be HUGELY useful to know, since I have four NOS CX-52 controllers and the pots are all unusably bad straight out of the box. Resistance dropped across the range so it’s way out of spec.

Thanks!

I was just on your site today and it said that you were still working out the board production. Are they sold out now?

Also, hopefully a quick question, what would be a good capacitor value to correct for using a 345k-390k ohm pots? That would be HUGELY useful to know, since I have four NOS CX-52 controllers and the pots are all unusably bad straight out of the box. Resistance dropped across the range so it’s way out of spec.

Thanks!

I still have at least 5 boards left, maybe 7. I haven't updated the notice on the website as I haven't really ordered "production quantity" yet. This second revision is feeling pretty good to me, if there is demand I might do a larger order next time.

For your capacitor, I'd use trial and error and start small, maybe 0.01uF or 0.022uF. See what that does, adjust from there. You can buy some cheap monolithic capacitor assortments on eBay.

scott

I still have at least 5 boards left, maybe 7. I haven't updated the notice on the website as I haven't really ordered "production quantity" yet. This second revision is feeling pretty good to me, if there is demand I might do a larger order next time.

For your capacitor, I'd use trial and error and start small, maybe 0.01uF or 0.022uF. See what that does, adjust from there. You can buy some cheap monolithic capacitor assortments on eBay.

scott

Gah! That means I’m going to have to whip up a controller test cart of some kind. Thanks though. [emoji4]

I’d definitely like to order a couple of your boards but I have some catching up to do in this thread first. Awesome work!

Edited by CZroe

Well, my TL866A will program ICSP and I’m more than ready to build a couple. I’ve got a Creality CR-10 3D printer and some ideas about how I would make a case for this. How much would it cost me for a couple boards? I don’t have a blog but do often share projects like this on YouTube (Emmett Turner) and FB groups and discuss in various forums.

Edit:

Regarding my own 5200 controller project, I happen to have 0.01µF caps on-hand. Decided to use Missile Command as a controller test, since the range is visibly limited there. Ordered a big set of caps from Amazon so I’ll be able to dial it in better then they get here. [emoji4]

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1

Well, my TL866A will program ICSP and I’m more than ready to build a couple. I’ve got a Creality CR-10 3D printer and some ideas about how I would make a case for this. How much would it cost me for a couple boards? I don’t have a blog but so do often share projects like this on YouTube and FB groups and discuss in various forums.

Had two built, would love to see a case for these :)

post-38693-0-46460700-1537664605_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Have two built, would love to see a case for these :)

Nice! Did you do the other one with analog on the left? Hoping I can make something that fits overlays!

I think my workbench is ready...

e6a9e34f815af19ec40139b695a5c864.jpg

I ordered a ton of those extensions a couple years ago. Used them for all kinds of stuff (Neo Geo, Famicom, A5200, etc). Had that case of NOS CX-52 controllers for a couple years too. Definitely want to take a crack at this!

I’ve only tweaked and designed some very basic 3D prints but I hope to learn by taking on something a bit more ambitious. Controller housing sounds perfect!

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1

Pushed a few updates to the github repository today, particularly for people who may build the newer revision of the board.

I've also opted to update the fuse settings, no longer setting the RSTDISABL fuse. This is to facilitate ICSP programming, which isn't possible if reset is disabled.

Scott

• Like 3

Okay, I've been in contact with Scott and I've got a pair of these boards headed my way this week. I've also ordered a full BOM of parts from Digikey, minus the ceramic caps (got a metric butload of those already). For anyone who cares, the total with shipping for two sets of everything from Scott's blog post came to about $25 plus shipping. Add a buck or so if you need to order the caps too, I guess.

I realized after I ordered that I'd forgotten to order any sockets but I'll take care of that next week after I've got the rest of the parts in hand. I need to get tools to program the ATtiny85's as well, so if anyone has pointers to the least expensive/most cost-effective way to do that, I'm all ears. :)

With what operating system are you doing the microcontroller programming? I have Windows 10 which looks to be troublesome/unknown with the compiling and loading software used in GitHub for this MCC. Wondering if an alternative Windows setup is possible? Anyone do the programming using Windows10 software?

Shawn, Controllers look great!

Swami, I've previously used Minipro in Windows 10 to program the ATTINY85 (for the handheld controllers) but not the ATTINY861 (for the 5200-PS2 adapter). I've always done the compiling itself in Ubuntu Linux, and lately I've switched to Ubuntu for programming the ICs as well.

Scott