IGNORED

My homemade 5200 controller

smbaker

@animan99: I just got a 3D printer and printed your case design yesterday, in PETG. A little bit of an issue with nastiness around the supports on the beveled edge (I'm trying a PLA print to see if it looks nicer), but nothing some sanding couldn't clear up. Great design, and thanks for sharing it!

Scott

No problem, I always wanted a replacement joystick for 5200, so your board and my case did the trick.

What printer did you get?

I was able to print w/o supports using PLA. My Gray PLA printed pretty good, but my White PLA needed some sanding to make it look better.

The jumper is installed, and I double-checked all my solder points, so maybe it is just a bad thumbstick. I'll desolder it tomorrow and try a different thumbstick to see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the help!

One thing to note is that the fire buttons and the keypad are connected directly to the 5200. The only thing that uses the microcontroller is the analog stick portion of the controller. So anything in the thumbstick, microcontroller, or digital pot could be causing the issue.

One other thing to check is that you programmed the fuses into the microcontroller. One of the fuses sets the clock speed multiplier and perhaps too slow a clock (I have not tried it) could cause an issue.

No problem, I always wanted a replacement joystick for 5200, so your board and my case did the trick.

What printer did you get?

I was able to print w/o supports using PLA. My Gray PLA printed pretty good, but my White PLA needed some sanding to make it look better.

I ended up getting a Prusa I3 MK3. So far it's been a pretty good experience, I've printed several things.

I might try the case in PLA without supports. In PETG there was quite a bit of stringing, and some deformed layers when I tried it without support material.

Edited by smbaker

Yeah, it came highly recommended to me by several people. So far I'm pretty happy.

Posted a new video today, showing off the 3D case!

Scott

I just saw your new video, controller looks nice and I like those yellow buttons.

One tip if the case has some gaps. Use a hair dryer to heat up (not too much) the top plastic of the fully assembled controller, then squeeze it tight till it cools down. That should close the small gaps you may have.

I need to get a pair of cases printed! :)

In the meantime, even with just a bare PCB screwed into a wood backing plate, I set a personal best for myself on DEFENDER last night. Thanks again for a great, fun-to-build design, Scott!

post-30400-0-51532700-1546263659_thumb.jpg

(Reflection on the screen is my 1088XEL running on a CRT across the room)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not hard. The BOM has all the parts on it you need, less the two resistors and 4 capacitors (and sockets, unless you want to solder the ICs in place). The parts for two will come to about $25, per my order a few weeks ago. :)

Perhaps your post on Oct. 19th is where the idea of two resistors came from. I haven't seen a board that requires fixed resistors (ignoring the thumbstick and ignoring the IC).

Perhaps your post on Oct. 19th is where the idea of two resistors came from. I haven't seen a board that requires fixed resistors (ignoring the thumbstick and ignoring the IC).

Ah, yeah. This is what I get for trying to reply on my phone via Tapatalk, without access to my build photos. R1 and R2 are not on the BOM though they are on the schematic (and the pics of the ones I built, d'oh!). They're 10K resistors.

post-30400-0-23240300-1550011046_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-23468500-1550011055_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps the fellow who asked. :)

This reminds me, a friend of mine (research professor of biochemistry at a large, nationally-known local university) runs a 3D printing side business as a hobby. He just picked up a DLP-based resin printer capable of extremely high resolution. He also designed a new shell for the sample board I built for him to use as a model. He's making me some shells (including very high-res printed buttons for the keypad) and once he's satisfied, he'll make them available on his eBay store. Here's a teaser image:

post-30400-0-64167900-1550411914_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

This reminds me, a friend of mine (research professor of biochemistry at a large, nationally-known local university) runs a 3D printing side business as a hobby. He just picked up a DLP-based resin printer capable of extremely high resolution. He also designed a new shell for the sample board I built for him to use as a model. He's making me some shells (including very high-res printed buttons for the keypad) and once he's satisfied, he'll make them available on his eBay store. Here's a teaser image:

attachicon.gifcontroller_shell.jpg

Looks great, Will he make a case if the joystick is on the right side.

post-38693-0-31195400-1550412506_thumb.jpg

Looks great, Will he make a case if the joystick is on the right side.

I mentioned that when I met up with him a couple months back for beers and hanging out. He said it shouldn't be a problem. I'll ask him again specifically whenever he's done with the shells he's making for me. This image was his model as of about a week ago - he hasn't updated me on progress since then. He may have had a snag with those buttons. :)

• Like 1

I mentioned that when I met up with him a couple months back for beers and hanging out. He said it shouldn't be a problem. I'll ask him again specifically whenever he's done with the shells he's making for me. This image was his model as of about a week ago - he hasn't updated me on progress since then. He may have had a snag with those buttons. :)

Thank you. Appreciate any updates.

attachicon.gifcontroller_shell.jpg

This is sweet and an instabuy for me!