IGNORED

My homemade 5200 controller

smbaker

1 hour ago, the Goat said:

Thanks, but I have a TL866 not a USBasp ?

I understand. However, a USBasp is super cheap (couple bucks on eBay - literally). And with that, programming the ATtiny is a piece of cake. :) 

But if you keep at using the MiniPro and you get it figured out, please post a similar step-by-step in case others want to use that method in the future!

8 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

a USBasp is super cheap (couple bucks on eBay - literally).

It is not about the money.  I don't want to wait.  Programming the ATTINY85 and a D-Sub 15 extension cable (arriving tomorrow) are the only things keeping me from using the new controller.

2 minutes ago, the Goat said:

It is not about the money.  I don't want to wait.  Programming the ATTINY85 and a D-Sub 15 extension cable (arriving tomorrow) are the only things keeping me from using the new controller.

Well, best of luck then. I hope you get it sorted. You could try message @smbaker and see if he can help you get it figured out.  If you don't, you can hit up Amazon Prime and have this in two days for about $6.  

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-ATMEGA8-Programmer-USBasp-Cable/dp/B00AX4WQ00/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=USBasp&qid=1567364357&s=gateway&sr=8-1

You will also need a 10-to-6 pin adapter to program the ATtiny via ICSP in the finished controller. You can make one or buy it for another $7 or so:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunkee-Standard-Adapter-AVRISP-USBASP/dp/B00CW80MP6/ref=pd_bxgy_147_2/132-7794435-1459133?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00CW80MP6&pd_rd_r=cbf35484-5d5b-4bb8-917b-2dd7a4f56146&pd_rd_w=2k7AV&pd_rd_wg=l9XOb&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=H6TEB1AKWKTZ97F30YEB&psc=1&refRID=H6TEB1AKWKTZ97F30YEB

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you get things working soon! These thumbsticks - and Scott's Masterplay clones - have revolutionized my 5200 experience. :) 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 2:45 PM, DrVenkman said:

But if you keep at using the MiniPro and you get it figured out, please post a similar step-by-step in case others want to use that method in the future!

Here are (overly detailed) Step by Step instructions for programming the ATTINY85 with TL866A on windows 10:

1. Plug TL866A to USB port
  2. Open MiniPro Universal Programmer software (version 6.85)
  3. Click menu: <Select IC(S)><Search and Select IC(S)> to open the "Select Device" dialog window
  4. Enter "ATTINY85" in Search Device text input field
  5. Highlight "ATTINY85" in Device listing
  6. Click "Select" button to close "Select Device" dialog window
  7. Click menu: <File(F)><Open(O)> to open the "Open" dialog window
  8. Navigate to and select "fuse.hex" from smbaker's github
  9. Click "Open" to move to the "File load Options" dialog window
  10. Select the "CONFIG" ratio button under "To Region"
  11. Click "OK" to complete the file open operation
  12. Click menu: <File(F)><Open(O)> to open the "Open" dialog window
  13. Navigate to and select "5200controller.hex" from smbaker's github
  14. Click "Open" to move to the "File load Options" dialog window
  15. Select the "Code Memory" ratio button under "To Region"
  16. Click "OK" to complete the file open operation
  17. Click menu: <Device(D)><Program(P)> to open the "Chip Program" dialog window
  18. Insert ATTINY85 chip into TL866A ZIF socket as shown in the "Chip Program" dialog window
  19. Click the "Program" button
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Shawn said:

Anyone been able to get in touch with Scott about buying boards as of late? I sent him a message the other day but didn't hear back. Looks like he's not been on the forums in a few weeks.

I haven’t exchanged messages with him in about 3 weeks. I was hoping to buy a batch of boards, a big component buy from Digi-Key, and then build some units for people in the next couple weeks but I’ve been a bit under the weather for the last week or so and it hasn’t happened. Maybe in a couple more weeks with luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

I haven’t exchanged messages with him in about 3 weeks. I was hoping to buy a batch of boards, a big component buy from Digi-Key, and then build some units for people in the next couple weeks but I’ve been a bit under the weather for the last week or so and it hasn’t happened. Maybe in a couple more weeks with luck.

OK thanks for the info. I was just gonna build a couple of them myself.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shawn said:

OK thanks for the info. I was just gonna build a couple of them myself.

If you do and want one of my friend’s cases made, let me know and I’ll get you in contact with him. I actually have a third board and another case he made for me, but I’ve never bought parts to build it. It was going to be part of the bulk buy/build I want to do at some point. 

47 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

If you do and want one of my friend’s cases made, let me know and I’ll get you in contact with him. I actually have a third board and another case he made for me, but I’ve never bought parts to build it. It was going to be part of the bulk buy/build I want to do at some point. 

I'm actually building up a pcb for someone who already bought one of the 3d shells from your friend :grin:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, geo said:

Is that all parts included or just manual labor?

All in aside from shipping cost as long as the parts are priced the same as the last time I built them. I've emailed Scott outside of AA to see about getting PCB's but I've not received word back from him as of yet. 

On 9/19/2019 at 1:46 AM, Shawn said:

All in aside from shipping cost as long as the parts are priced the same as the last time I built them. I've emailed Scott outside of AA to see about getting PCB's but I've not received word back from him as of yet. 

Are these the boards you are using?

I ordered two of these earlier this week on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-5200-Custom-Handheld-Controller-bare-PCBOARD/173811028957?hash=item2877f1d3dd:g:9yQAAOSwQTRb54hE)

I am waiting for the guys who 3D printed the custom controller case to print some up in black, then I was going to order a set from them.

If I send you the board and controller shell, what would the price be then?

On 9/20/2019 at 10:11 AM, geo said:

Are these the boards you are using?

I ordered two of these earlier this week on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-5200-Custom-Handheld-Controller-bare-PCBOARD/173811028957?hash=item2877f1d3dd:g:9yQAAOSwQTRb54hE)

I am waiting for the guys who 3D printed the custom controller case to print some up in black, then I was going to order a set from them.

If I send you the board and controller shell, what would the price be then?

There is no point in sending the shell to me as it would be cost prohibitive in regards to shipping at that point. Also when you get the populated board you can just put it in the shell yourself. Yes, that is the board we are all talking about. That might be the older version. You would need to confirm with Dr. Venkman to know exactly which board you would need to go with the shells he sells.

Hi folks, I've been reading this wholly thread, a great reading btw.

I have one question: Are the number keys too much used in 5200 games? sorry for my ignorance, as I don't have one 5200, but I've been reading the pokey datasheet and started to wonder that the debouce mechanism of the keyboard offers the possibility to emulate the key presses within the response time of an ordinary microcontroller. If that is true, a Playstation controller adaptor might be built to use a combination of [L2] plus D-pad, /\ O X [ ] START SELECT [L3][R3] to emulate the keyboard presses. 

On 10/1/2019 at 2:39 PM, DrVenkman said:

Stay tuned ...  

423B8393-836D-4E51-99D7-9D123E06581E.jpeg

I have a distribution center close to me so when I order from digikey it's always overnight service. Drives me nuts when I have the population so quick but have to wait a normal amount of time for mail of the boards for projects. I'm spoiled in that way I guess.

• Like 2

My partner and I built our first pair today, programmed and tested them, then enjoyed a beer afterward and called it an afternoon. :P More tomorrow! 

Hope to have the first set ready to go on sale sooner rather than later. We’re not specifically keeping a pre-order list. We’re getting a turnkey e-commerce thing setup that will handle billing, shipping address management, etc. That should be ready to go live when we’ve got the first batch completed and ready, cases printed, etc.

We *will* be offering builds and matching cases with the thumbstick on either left or right as you specify, plus several options of case colors and button colors. :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

My partner and I built our first pair today, programmed and tested them, then enjoyed a beer afterward and called it an afternoon. :P More tomorrow! 

Hope to have the first set ready to go on sale sooner rather than later. We’re not specifically keeping a pre-order list. We’re getting a turnkey e-commerce thing setup that will handle billing, shipping address management, etc. That should be ready to go live when we’ve got the first batch completed and ready, cases printed, etc.

We *will* be offering builds and matching cases with the thumbstick on either left or right as you specify, plus several options of case colors and button colors. :D

Price?

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 8:25 PM, DrVenkman said:

Great news!

Should I assume that someday, eventually, I´ll able to buy a fully built, 3D-printed case A5200 controller? I´m just too incompetent to even try doing it. ?

• Like 1