IGNORED

My homemade 5200 controller

smbaker

10 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Um, every repro/homebrew cart on the A.A. store is using the original logo.  ? 

We have made the decision to sell the ones we're making without the trademarked word and logo. If you contact Scott to buy a PCB and build your own controller, you can put it into whatever case you like. 

On 11/14/2019 at 6:03 PM, Greg2600 said:

May I ask why you dropped the ATARI logo? 

This was my call and Dr. Venkman agreed.  You tend to get more conservative on stuff like this after investing a significant amount of time and money, then start realizing that some dip stick who bought a piece of paper can just come take it all away if you make it onto their radar.  I kind of hated to do it, but when all is said and done I think I prefer the new understated design.  It also prints better, more consistently.

Also, I've been burned on this before.  Got a few C&D letters from Iomega back in the day when they were still a going concern and I was writing FREE software to support their stuff FOR FREE in Linux.  So....yeah.

• Like 1

I spent most of Saturday experimenting with case/button finishes and thought it might be of interest to some here.  Sanded with 600grit, primed, 2x base coats, 3x coats of clear satin varnish.  All acrylics, thinned with airbrush medium, sprayed through a Paasche H single-action airbrush. On the buttons I just covered the whole top with acrylic paint and wiped the excess off.  A bit messy, but effective.

At one stage I had one that was matte black (primer).  It looked *really* cool like that.  I may have to revisit that idea, using black base with matte varnish.

IMG_1800.thumb.jpg.3254dc46dc34d555d1e2cae2927f6996.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Machine said:

How did you get the yellow paint inside the number buttons so neatly???

Flooded the top, then turned them upside down and blotted the excess away with a paper towel sitting on my bench.  Then wipe around the edges until it was "clean".  Unlike the photo I recommend doing them one at a time to give the paint less opportunity to seep where you don't want it to seep.

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

Edited by MakerMatrix
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MakerMatrix said:

Flooded the top, then turned them upside down and blotted the excess away with a paper towel sitting on my bench.  Then wipe around the edges until it was "clean".  Unlike the photo I recommend doing them one at a time to give the paint less opportunity to seep where you don't want it to seep.

IMG_1790.jpg

Those look really slick.  I wonder how the paint will hold up over time.  (not that any 5200 games really make use of those buttons to the extent that the paint will wear off).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Greg2600 said:

I'm on the backorder for black retro but I'd love to get the yellow painted ones!

Oh no, what have I done?  I can't paint everybody's buttons LOL.

Tell you what, you all have blown us away with your support of our little venture to build Scott's controller design.  Greg and the next four to ask here will get painted buttons as pictured in their kit.  PM me your order number and I'll make a note.

And if/when Dr. Baker reads this - he gets whatever case and buttons he wants, on me.  ;-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, the Goat said:

Those look really slick.  I wonder how the paint will hold up over time.  (not that any 5200 games really make use of those buttons to the extent that the paint will wear off).

I wonder the same.  I'd have to think any kind of paint would be a no-go on the fire buttons.  I'm going to put some matte varnish over top in hopes that it will seal it in.  But yeah...it's paint so it might wear off and need to be reapplied.

Edited by MakerMatrix

1 minute ago, MakerMatrix said:

I wonder the same. Any kind of paint would be a no-go on the fire buttons for sure.  I'm going to put some matte varnish over top in hopes that it will seal it in.  But yeah...it's paint so it might wear off and need to be reapplied.

Well remember too - thanks to the “printed in” numbers, the paint sits down inside, below the surface proper. I think the paint will last just fine. :) 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MakerMatrix said:

Tell you what, you all have blown us away with your support of our little venture to build Scott's controller design.  Greg and the next four to ask here will get painted buttons as pictured in their kit.  PM me your order number and I'll make a note.

PM sent!  Hope I’m one of the four.  Btw, many thanks for providing the community with this product.? 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MakerMatrix said:

And if/when Dr. Baker reads this - he gets whatever case and buttons he wants, on me.  ;-)

PM sent. ? 

• Thanks 1

One more thing...I need to give a shout-out to @amiman99 for the original case design to fit the smbaker controller.  Dr. Venkman sent me those STLs but I had a hell of a time trying to print them cleanly, especially the buttons. It ended up snowballing into a sort of weird obsession for me that culminated in this from-scratch case and button design.  It also got me into SLA printing.

But just to be perfectly clear - if it isn't already by looking - my design is heavily influenced by amiman99's original.  So, thanks for the inspiration.  I want to make sure you get the kudos you are due.

Edited by MakerMatrix
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MakerMatrix said:

PM'd you, wow!  Wish I was left handed, of I'd have the controller by now.  I can finally off-load my Wico stick, too, won't need it anymore.

Was there any consideration to a style similar to the original, with stick on top, then keypad, with buttons on the sides, or below (reversible like the Lynx)?

Sat down last night and even though I experienced a new bug in JOUST where the pterodactyl doesn’t fly off at the end of a Pterry Wave but instead follows you endlessly, I still set a new personal best at age 51. No warmups, default Skilled difficulty, just sat down and pressed Start.  That bug cost me at least a few lives but whatever. :)

Man, I love this game.

279CA237-4951-40E0-9ABD-DFA16E690086.jpeg

17B08BFD-A187-4889-9C62-1A92D76B0755.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

I received my two controllers today. Just tried them on my console and they both just go to the left automatically. I will try on another system hopefully tomorrow. To tired to read through but what would be causing this? Pot inside the console?

Yes, most likely. Please take a look at the first post in the announcement thread I posted. The POKEY Adjust resistor is likely in need of a small tweak. Please be sure to to not use anything metal and make any adjustment with the power turned off. 

1 hour ago, AtariBrian said:

I received my two controllers today. Just tried them on my console and they both just go to the left automatically. I will try on another system hopefully tomorrow. To tired to read through but what would be causing this? Pot inside the console?

I use a plastic fork with three of the four tines removed.

21 hours ago, MakerMatrix said:

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

You can use a coin on a cloth to paint the 5200. It might be necessary to mask the outline though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geo said:

Any chance I am the 4th guy to request black and yellow buttons?

Seeing how I already have my controllers, I just need an extra set of buttons.

I should be able to easily remove my red ones for these, correct?

Thanks again.

Geo got the last available set of yellow-filled buttons.  They are all spoken for now.

• Like 1