IGNORED

My homemade 5200 controller

smbaker

I was planning on making the shell a little thicker so it prints cleaner without supports. I was also going to add a (unofficial) logo, &/or rainbow stripe. I can try to add a lip & incorporate "snap" clips for assembly. Thanks again for letting me utilize your design, I will post it on this thread once it is ready & I have a pretty print to show off :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your excellent work, amiman99. I printed it, and it came out very nicely, using supports for the rounded edges.

There is an issue with the button layout, though, using the updated rev 0.9 PCB, in at least the right-side thumbstick layout. The fire buttons don't line up with the holes, with the holes being offset to the left and above the actual buttons:

p44-content.icloud.com:443&x=1&a=CAog3XC

You can see the square white button caps, in the bottom right corners of the holes. Those are the tactile button caps that are listed in the BoM.

I'll attempt to fix this, and remodel the case in Fusion 360. I'll share the results, of course. Are you OK with me posting the final files on GitHub, PrusaPrinters and Thingiverse? I always license GPLv3, so the results would be fully open source. I'll also publish the F360 source and .step files, for others to use.

While I'm at it, the BoM needs a bit of correction, in that it is short one tactile switch, and doesn't include the recommended Sparkfun large tactile buttons.

Thanks!
- Alex

Edited by ajacocks
Add clarification on button alignment

3 hours ago, BitMerge6502 said:

could someone please explian what the jumper functions are? I assume the 2x3 is a ICSP for programming the AtTiny85 (I used Arduino Uno as isp to program mine).

One of them swaps the order of the Fire buttons (e.g., which of the two is the primary and which is the secondary fire button). Another one determines which button registers when you click down on the thumbstick.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2021 at 9:11 PM, ajacocks said:

I completed my re-layout of the right-thumbstick version of the controller. @amiman99 let me know what your thoughts on me sharing my work. I re-drew the top, completely, in Fusion 360.

Fusion 360 Model (Top)

I fixed the button alignment issue, and changed the edges to chamfers, to print better.

- Alex

The link shows the bottom.

• Like 1

Here is an updated version, showing all the changes:

Fusion 360 - 5200 SuperController

I didn't re-model your number button caps or the start/pause/restart buttons, yet. They work fine, as is, and I haven't gotten to it. I did adjust the sizes of the cutouts a bit, and realigned the fire buttons, for the right-side thumbtack layout. I also changed the specified screws for some self-drilling plastic screws.

Here are some renders, and a photo, as well.

- Alex

Case_2021-Feb-12_04-28-08AM-000_CustomizedView15924632130.png

Case_2021-Feb-12_04-29-08AM-000_CustomizedView15924632130.thumb.png.c358bd74ce391645c547b9807a2f8695.png

IMG_0380.jpeg

Edited by ajacocks
Insert correct image
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ajacocks said:

Here are the STLs, and the Fusion 360 drawing

Could you please export these to actual .STL format? The models in the zip files are in .f3d format. I am using Blender which doesn't recognize them. It would be better to distribute them in a more universal format as well because some slicing programs, (like Cura), do not accept them either. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, ajacocks said:

Thanks, @DrVenkman. Out of curiosity, are you planning to start selling them again? Yours looked pretty amazing.

I’ll go back and mirror mine, and share them.

- Alex

Still up in the air. We’ve talked about it since last spring/summer but COVID tossed all our personal lives into a blender and we just haven’t gotten things going again. Maybe later this year, hopefully. We will announce it here in the 5200 forum with a dedicated thread and probably a post in this one if we do.

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Still up in the air. We’ve talked about it since last spring/summer but COVID tossed all our personal lives into a blender and we just haven’t gotten things going again. Maybe later this year, hopefully. We will announce it here in the 5200 forum with a dedicated thread and probably a post in this one if we do.

Short answer yes on my end.  Also kits.  I shot some macro footage of me soldering a board together that I want to edit into a YT video, to help people DIY these.   I have a number of plans, but little free time to execute them.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2021 at 11:31 AM, ajacocks said:

Out of curiosity, do folks prefer the left-side thumb stick layout? - Alex

I do prefer the left-side thumbstick. It feels more like a traditional controller. I would like a mirrored version. When I use 2600 joysticks, I do play right handed however. 

• 1 month later...

I just playing catch up here, didn't realize how many people helped make this controller but thank you all for your efforts. :) I think it goes a long way to making the 5200 more accessible for more people, actually having people play the 5200 rather than mock it, avoid it, or rip out it's Pokey heh.

Was just speculating on a new 5200 controller door flap and thought you could actually print an insert cradle for that alcove that fits this new controller. Imagine it being like those controller recharge stations except side to side rather than front to back. Do they fit inside with the door closed? If not these controllers inserting on top with a cradle would be a nice alternative to those without a door. 

5 hours ago, ajacocks said:

Amusingly, I don't actually have a 5200, so I can't say if it would fit, or not. I built these controllers as a gift for a friend.

If anyone has a spare functional 5200 that they would be willing to part with, I'd be happy to develop a mounting solution.

- Alex

A lot people don't have the 5200, just crazy folks. ;) I just got another console but it's spoken for if it works(as-is untested pile and such). See if I can measure the alcove maybe give you one surface, trying to get into print file making myself.

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2021 at 10:42 PM, ajacocks said:

Here is an updated version, showing all the changes:

Fusion 360 - 5200 SuperController

I didn't re-model your number button caps or the start/pause/restart buttons, yet. They work fine, as is, and I haven't gotten to it. I did adjust the sizes of the cutouts a bit, and realigned the fire buttons, for the right-side thumbtack layout. I also changed the specified screws for some self-drilling plastic screws.

Here are some renders, and a photo, as well.

- Alex

Case_2021-Feb-12_04-28-08AM-000_CustomizedView15924632130.png

Case_2021-Feb-12_04-29-08AM-000_CustomizedView15924632130.thumb.png.c358bd74ce391645c547b9807a2f8695.png

IMG_0380.jpeg

Did you print this face down or vertically?  I tried face down last night and the top was not glossy like yours came out.  

On 4/29/2021 at 3:05 PM, ajacocks said:

Aaron,

I printed it face-down, on a textured PEI build surface.

- Alex

Another question.  So when I mirrored the thumb stick hole and fire buttons the fire buttons are not far enough over to the right.  Do you have any suggestions on how to move this holes?