IGNORED

'Train Game' suggestions?

My 3-year old son is extremely into Trains.... Locomotives, Railroads, etc.

He's been asking me for a 'Train Game' whenever it's his turn to pick a cartridge in the game room. Sadly, I am always stumped on this question (Daddy's more into spaceships and puzzles).

Can anyone suggest a game with a train theme? (Tractors, airplanes and boats are also objects of interest, but trains are the primary focus of his 3-year old brain)

I have the following systems hooked up...

Atari 2600

NES

SNES

Genesis (with power converter, so SMS also)

Atari Jaguar

Saturn

3do

Cd-i

Dreamcast

... Any 'Train Game' suggestions for those would be ideal.

There's always emulation if you know of anything a 3-year-old could appreciate from another platform.

Even if the game has a train IN IT somewhere, that would qualify possible.

Thanks community, any suggestions helpful and appreciated.

I don't know how many of these games are playable for a 3 year old, but here are a few for the C64 (some available on other formats as well):

Trains (Spinnaker, so intended to be educational)

Donald Duck's Playground (one of the minigames is about trains)

Goofy's Railway Express (another Disney game, so should be child friendly)

Guldkorn Expressen (a.k.a. Kalaspuffs-Expressen, perhaps better known on the Amiga and PC)

These might be better suited for older children:

Loco, Suicide Express, Black Thunder

Stop the Express, Panic Express, The Fall Guy

Mobygames has a list of games tagged with "train", though a number of those may be simulators for grown-ups: http://www.mobygames.com/genre/sheet/train/

Have you tried Moon Patrol? There may be variations thereof which replaces the buggy with a train.

• Like 3

Railroad Tycoon II for the Dreamcast is a point 'n click Sim City-esque game that's pretty decent. Assuming your kid just watches and doesn't play, then it would be fun to show.

Adventures in the Magic Kingdom for the NES has you going to various themed "amusements" to progress through the game. One of them is Thunder Mountain which has you riding in a small train going down a mountain (you can pick the amusements in any order so you can go straight to Thunder Mountain if you want).

• Like 2

If you are into the Japanese Import scene, the Saturn and Dreamcast have a bunch of train and monorail simulators that are quite popular. One series in particular is the Densha De Go series made by Taito and now Square Enix.

Edit: though I’m not sure a three year old would have fun. I mean the series can be played without needing to read Japanese but even the gameplay requires a lot of practice. Still, it’s something to invest in when he gets older?

Edit2: Romhacking.net has a few fan translations of Densha de go for GameBoy Color and N64 and stuff. If you have an ever drive, this might work out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by empsolo
  • Like 4

Taito Wild Western has a pretty prominent train in the game.. but it's probably not the best game for a kid since it's not an easy game and the controls can be frustrating via emulation (uses 8-way rotating knob which you also push to fire, and a regular "jump" button to get on the train.

My kid was really into trains for a long time as well..but I don't think we ever really found a video game for it aside from Thomas games on the iPad, etc. THIS kind of thing is what held his attention moreso than anything to be honest:

Thomas___Friends_Wooden_Railway___Tidmou

• Like 3

Well the Intellivision has Locomotion and Happy Trails for whatever that's worth. :)

Loco-motion and Happy Trails are nice little puzzle games. Might work for a young child, buttons are optional. Both have similar gameplay, but no trains in Happy Trails. Was the Atari 2600 rom for Loco-motion ever leaked?

Loco-motion and Happy Trails are nice little puzzle games. Might work for a young child, buttons are optional. Both have similar gameplay, but no trains in Happy Trails. Was the Atari 2600 rom for Loco-motion ever leaked?

You know, my first thought was Loco-Motion... And maybe get a cart reproduced. But yeah, I don't know anyone who's willing to let me use the rom, or maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Maybe try Simcity for SNES? It has trains, boats, and airplanes. It would probably be the best game to keep your attention too.

I really like this SimCity suggestion. I think it might be too early for that right now, but I'm totally into it when I think he can wrap his head around it.

Unless computers are out of the question, this kinda looks like fun.

http://www.cbc.ca/kidscbc2/games/all-aboard

Wow dang. _I_ want to play this. I think I'll save it for winter, when the days get colder and longer (it's Canada in the game... Ha!).

Anyway, I was thinking about this today and how I don't want games with incredible slick and superior graphics to screw up his appreciation for 8-bit stuff. I think the solution is for Daddy to play it and him to walk in and 'help'. That, I think, will separate the two types of things in his context. And anyway it also means I get to play something.

So yay, thanks for tuning me into this title.

Edited by CaptainBreakout

Taito Wild Western has a pretty prominent train in the game.. but it's probably not the best game for a kid since it's not an easy game and the controls can be frustrating via emulation (uses 8-way rotating knob which you also push to fire, and a regular "jump" button to get on the train.

My kid was really into trains for a long time as well..but I don't think we ever really found a video game for it aside from Thomas games on the iPad, etc. THIS kind of thing is what held his attention moreso than anything to be honest:

Thomas___Friends_Wooden_Railway___Tidmou

Funny you should show that pic. My wife took him to the library today. I was told he spent and hour on this exact ki d of unit.

Hey

Railroad Tycoon II for the Dreamcast is a point 'n click Sim City-esque game that's pretty decent. Assuming your kid just watches and doesn't play, then it would be fun to show.Adventures in the Magic Kingdom for the NES has you going to various themed "amusements" to progress through the game. One of them is Thunder Mountain which has you riding in a small train going down a mountain (you can pick the amusements in any order so you can go straight to Thunder Mountain if you want).

Hey that's a good idea! I had this game in the heyday.

Don't have the cart now, but I'll put it on my mental 'get list'.

Trouble is this game was designed to eventually compel the owners onto an expensive Disneyland trip. Probably still works.

I don't know how many of these games are playable for a 3 year old, but here are a few for the C64 (some available on other formats as well):

Trains (Spinnaker, so intended to be educational)

Donald Duck's Playground (one of the minigames is about trains)

Goofy's Railway Express (another Disney game, so should be child friendly)

Guldkorn Expressen (a.k.a. Kalaspuffs-Expressen, perhaps better known on the Amiga and PC)

These might be better suited for older children:

Loco, Suicide Express, Black Thunder

Stop the Express, Panic Express, The Fall Guy

Mobygames has a list of games tagged with "train", though a number of those may be simulators for grown-ups: http://www.mobygames.com/genre/sheet/train/

Have you tried Moon Patrol? There may be variations thereof which replaces the buggy with a train.

Wow... This is comprehensive. Nice list to look into. I like this Guildkorn game. Wish there was a SNES version or 3do. Maybe I can outfit it for the emulator.

Also I've got the C64 on the emulator, but I haven't lived in as much as I'd like to. Great reasons to do so here.

Thanks!

• Like 1

It’s a Dutch distributed pseudo Gameboy clone that was manufactured in Hong Kong and had games for it that were manufactured by a Taiwan based game company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it actually Gameboy bios, or it's own library?

Just can't believe I never heard of this thing.