IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC 2018 Round 1: Time Pilot '84

Leto27

Great scores! I hope to have some more time to play soon.

Edit: Okay, I just had a little time to play and try out my new MAME cabinet! I was doing great but got nervous when I saw I was close to 100,000.

Zoy_TP84_180816.jpg

I'm starting to figure out that there are certain ways you can make the higher score formations of enemies spawn. If you can take out the "Pain Train" in stage 01, you'll get 8,000 points and immediately spawn the "woop woop" formation for 1,000. Each subsequent time the "woop woops" come along they're worth 1,000 more than the time before. There are also some locations on the map where a higher value target will appear... the trench with the red lights has one enemy that quickly appears and disappears (shown in the image in the first post of this thread) but if you hit it with a missile you get 5,000 points. The squadron of jets will give you 8,000 but they're hard to get in your sights without them getting away. If you get the Time Pilot bi-plane it gives you an extra life.

By the way, it's a classy touch how the game thanks you for playing.

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 4

Wow, this one will go down to the wire :D 100K has been truly breached.

I thought a lot about the spawn paterns and think they're actually quite random. I had stuff appear just about everywhere, regardless of map position and timing. That's why you can sometimes clock 40K plus in the first stage and sometimes barely 20K. There's lots of luck involved in this game when playing for HS so it's sort of "unfair", but it's also so addictive and great that it doesn't matter really. My only real gripe is with the inconsistent lock-on for missiles...it's why I die a lot when trying to pull some super tight maneuvres and it does not catch on.

In the run with the score below I had everybody and their dog appear in Stage 1, so managed to get 42K, then the biplane spawned next to me so I of course had to crash right into it :D

EDIT: Actually, Zoyous could be right, the trench seems to have higher probability to spawn things: I got the jets like 3 times in a row there and the ground thing also appears maybe more often. But only on the first level. That makes me think, perhaps different levels have different probability zones. There's got to be something happening in the desert, right?

Damn, I really wish I had arcade stick for this. My thumb is dying.

IMG_20180816_205654.jpg

Edited by youxia
  • Like 1

168,000 !

post-34560-0-76799600-1534638488.png

extra life at 140,000!

Level 06 is the hardest for me, after that it was a little easier -- it starts recycling enemies from previous levels, just throwing one group of each at you simultaneously.

the stuff that spawns on the ground has certain spots where they spawn, but I think if you pass that spot and come back it may be too late. or maybe if you die with that spot in the screen. Sometimes it's just not there.

• Like 2

168,000 !

attachicon.gifTime Pilot '84 (MAME) 168000.png

extra life at 140,000!

Level 06 is the hardest for me, after that it was a little easier -- it starts recycling enemies from previous levels, just throwing one group of each at you simultaneously.

the stuff that spawns on the ground has certain spots where they spawn, but I think if you pass that spot and come back it may be too late. or maybe if you die with that spot in the screen. Sometimes it's just not there.

impressive, I was sitting commfortable in my first place, my spot. I have to play again, and see if can beat your score

• Like 1

Take 112:

post-34560-0-90882100-1534725936.png

1up @ 200k

New enemy in Stage 11

my one criticism of Time Pilot '84: It doesn't seem to follow in the theme of the original. You don't start in 1984, but in a futuristic setting. You don't seem to time-travel between stages. It's apparently always in the same time period and on the same planet. It has controls like Time Pilot. you fight and try to press for points until boss shows up. Fun game, i like it about the same as Time Pilot. Fun sounds... but I think it kinda fails in that one department. ... maybe our hero got trapped in time and now just fights the machines in the future?

Edited by S.BAZ