IGNORED

Atari Gamer articles

Igor

Yeah Sonic 2 on the GG is hard to enjoy really- you can't tell what's coming, due the very small playfield and the superfast scrolling. It simply does not work as well as the versions on MD and Master System. I found Scrapyard Dog on the Lynx much more playable, though the gfx sometimes look like primary school paintings.

Whilst friends and myself got a lot out of Sonic on the Game Gear, it was tough to love at times.

The ghosting on the Game Gear screen was pretty shocking.

Not sure what type of screens Sega used,but they were pretty flaky.

We're taking a quick look at the Atari Lynx developer, Hand Made software and the titles they've put out. Not as many as Epyx or some of the other heavyweights but still a good selection! Do you have any of their games?

post-54616-0-64549600-1551081474_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

We're taking a quick look at the Atari Lynx developer, Hand Made software and the titles they've put out. Not as many as Epyx or some of the other heavyweights but still a good selection! Do you have any of their games?

attachicon.gifunnamed2.jpg

Kinda mixed bag with them: Awsome Golf, Dracula, Malibu are solid titles. Jimmy Connors and Power Factor were both quite awful.

• Like 1

What part of them? Just button setting or control lag etc in general? Which one would you prefer?

Generally the control layout and laggy feel is terrible. weapon select is done with the dpad, but works only randomly and the dpad is for moving the player too!. Level design, enemies are quite bland. Overall I had no fun with this.

The controls in Power Factor annoy me but apart from that it's quite a solid game

Aside from control issues it's very boring and bland. Jimmy Connors is their worst game probably: it looks like a tennis game but plays like a trainwreck mix of Baseball and Volleyball. Using two seperate buttons for fore and backhand might be the most bizarre design choice for a tennis game, but the complete lack of control, volley play, cheap AI makes this a turd. I quite enjoyed Dracula, but the wall climbing clearly tries to stretch an otherwise brief game. Feels hamfisted game design. Awesome Golf is really good. Malibu Bikini has some issues with the AI, but actually plays like some decent Volleyball with very nice gfx. Overall I was not that surprised they completely screwed up Kasumi Ninja. Their last 2 games (except Malibu) on the Lynx were lackluster/rushed efforts already.

I like the atarigamer site, but for my taste there is WAY too much hyping of average or poor games (Batman Returns!), which will eventually backfire.

Edited by agradeneu

What part of them? Just button setting or control lag etc in general? Which one would you prefer?

It's the way the jetpack works, I just can't get a good feel for it, it doesn't feel natural to me. Also good you mention lag because direction change and walking animations are just a little too long I find.

50% of the cartridge space on Jimmy Connors Tennis is used just for the speech:

Rob Nicholson again:

Did you know it's really Jimmy himself? We sent him a list of words to say and got a tape back. The samples sound better than mostothers on the Lynx because the original sample driver was, err, crap :-)

I'm not a tennis fan so have no feelings for the Lynx game.

I do think HMS delivered better games on Lynx than Jaguar and were a very capable studio,but by no means was everything they put out, Gold..

• Like 1

Handmade Software themselves admit they had issues with their Tennis Game on Lynx:

We had a lot of trouble with tennis on the Lynx.

Basic problem is the screen is just too small.

Try the practice mode which will help you improve you hitting skills.

Rob Nicholson Hand Made Software Ltd.

problem is "Tennis" on the Game Boy played stellar compared to JR, on a smaller screen. I just think they got no passion or fun with the game, not fans of tennis either.

• Like 1

Rob Nicholson:

The controls in JC went through loads of changes during development. What

we ended up with is difficult to get started with but once mastered is

not that bad at all (although I say so myself :-) Biggest problem with

the Lynx is a limited screen area. It had to scroll but working out which

part of the court to show was a nightmare.

I wonder if they were Tennis fans themselves?

Just a quick feedback

I really like you're webpage with all those articles and useful information in one place regarding the Lynx.

Since i am not using facebook, i am thankful to the oldschool people who use forums and webpages. So i can get my fix somewhere

Thank you

• Like 1

Thank you! I'm still trying to get more information together, next big section will be a programming section on the Lynx. If you want any specific content or style of articles, please do let me know.

• Like 1

We've modded a Lynx to make it future proof and the result was amazing. This combines several mods together for the one job, really all 3 should be done to every Lynx out there.

post-54616-0-35907900-1552290813_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2

Seriously? You cannot omit the number one musical masterpiece! Shadow of the Beast. The flute tune with echo plus the variety of the tunes on this release has glued me for hours disassembling this code to get an idea of how on earth they managed to create sounds like these the Lynx hardware. I am still lightyears away from producing anything even close to this.

• Like 4